Peerless67 "Newcastle diet"

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
I second what Fleegle said :)

Reactions: Peerless67

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have remained sub 7 for 14 consecutive days now.

The last two days I have been having soup for lunch and evening meal. My highest reading was 6.0 on the 13th and the highest yesterday was 5.8 I increased my testing again to see what was going on with my fasting BG numbers.
Fasting BG yesterday was 5.7 two hours after midday meal 5.8 two hours after evening meal 4.6 and before bed 4.5

Week 7 Day 46:

Fasting BG 5.2

So it appears I am getting some kind of dump as I do not eat after my evening meal and my BG increased 0.7 from my last test yesterday to my first test today. For the sake of science I shall have soups again today and see what happens. At first I was disappointed to see the rises but maybe this is my new normal, perhaps my organs have started working as they should. I don't think its anything major as all my tests for two weeks have been sub 7.
I will continue with the extra testing today as well.

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
Those numbers sound brilliant though, especially when you look at your profile pic and your reading of 17.6!

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Those numbers sound brilliant though, especially when you look at your profile pic and your reading of 17.6!

Yes I am much less concerned now after doing two days of soups and testing. I just think my body is probably doing what normal bodies do. I want to do a test with carbs, but I don't want to do it before the the end of the 8 weeks. I also have had the sniffles for the past few days but without it developing into a cold or flu, perhaps that also has some baring on it.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So I increased my testing over the past couple of days and had soups for lunch and evening meals. Yesterday my highest BG was 5.2 which I got twice, fasting was 5.2 and two hours after my evening meal was 5.2
2 Hours after my midday meal was 4.9 before my evening meal 4.7 and before bed 4.6, my fasting BG today was 4.8 so I am getting some kind of dump between my last BG test and my first the next day.
Although I am having those fasting BG rises it does not appear to be causing any lasting issue. I have been sub 7s for the past 15 days and sub 6s since the 13th. The sub 6s are most likely due to the reduction in calories just having the soups. That experiment will have to end today as I have been hungry.

Week 7 Day 47:

Fasting BG 4.8

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So I increased my testing over the past couple of days and had soups for lunch and evening meals. Yesterday my highest BG was 5.2 which I got twice, fasting was 5.2 and two hours after my evening meal was 5.2
2 Hours after my midday meal was 4.9 before my evening meal 4.7 and before bed 4.6, my fasting BG today was 4.8 so I am getting some kind of dump between my last BG test and my first the next day.
Although I am having those fasting BG rises it does not appear to be causing any lasting issue. I have been sub 7s for the past 15 days and sub 6s since the 13th. The sub 6s are most likely due to the reduction in calories just having the soups. That experiment will have to end today as I have been hungry.

Week 7 Day 47:

Fasting BG 4.8
All looks good and very promising to me Peerless.
Wish I had those BGs
Well done

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Final day of week 7, not too much to report. I will be glad to be reporting the final week of this stage of the diet. I was concerned about my fasting numbers rising from low/mid 4s to low 5s. However it seems to have stabilised as the "new norm" yesterday before bed I was 4.6 and my fasting BG today was 5.3 so I am satisfied it is nothing I am doing wrong.
I continue to be sub 7 for every test I do, I am currently on a run of 17 days sub 7.
Thank you all for your support and encouragement over the past few weeks.

Week 7 Day 49:

Fasting BG 5.3

Weight 71.8 KG

Waist 32 inches

BMI 20

Ketostix reading 40 (middle of chart)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
yesterday before bed I was 4.6 and my fasting BG today was 5.3

This is your body regulating your levels and all perfectly normal. It is possible you dropped even lower than 4.6 during the night, so your liver compensated and brought you back to safe levels. When I go to bed in the 4s I am generally in the 5s when I wake up.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did not even get time to drop in here yesterday, anyone who is a carer will know how that can be. I remain sub 7 for all tests highest BG the last few days has been 6.7
Only 5 days left to go, it did not feel like it at the time but it seems that time has flown by.

Week 8 Day 51:

Fasting BG 5.6

---------------------------

Week 8 Day 52:

Fasting BG 5.3

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I have been reading your updates and am feeling completely inspired by what you are doing. Thank you! I was diagnosed T2 in June and have been low carbing with metformin which has brought me down to around 7 but I really want to do the Newcastle diet and see if I can get lower and lose the pills.

Now your BG is "reasonable" it is mostly about losing weight and exercise.

"Resistance training" and "internal high-intensity training" have been proven to work very well and are not that complex.

"internal high-intensity training" => "walk, run, cycle, whatever" as hard as you can for 2 minutes, then slow to recover for about 5 minutes and repeat a few times.

Moderate balanced diets have been proven not to work well for us (otherwise we would not have Type2!). Both very low calorie diets (e.g. Newcastle diet) and intermittent fasting (fasting for at least 2 days a week) give people great results.

There is nothing magic about the details of the Newcastle diet you just have to keep to very low calorie for at least a few days at a time until you have lost a lot of weight. If the calories are not low enough your body will just use less energy to composite, if the calories are very low (well under 1000 a day) then our body gives us lots of energy so we can go and hunt for food.

The Newcastle diet is defined as it is to enable controlled research - unless you are doing medical research wanting everyone to lose weight at the same rate etc, the details are not important.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My only issue is I have a big holiday planned in early November

It seems to be the total weight loss that is key, so provided you don't put lots of weight on while on holiday I see no issue with doing the diet in two halves.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personally, I don't care about Fasting BG provided they are under 7, as most people report they improve with time provided the BG is kept low at all other times. (I expect that Fasting BG are related to insulin resistance of our muscles.)

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yesterday marked 3 weeks of consecutive sub 7s days, I have been a little stressed the last few days as I have been dealing with problems here at home. Have also been a little anxious about the looming end of the eight weeks. Yesterday I had soup for both my lunch and evening meal and I was surprised to see my fasting BG this morning was lower than my last yesterday, and its my lowest fasting BG since September 9th.
It has not all been bad though, 27th is our wedding anniversary and my wife got her citizenship yesterday so a couple of things to celebrate in a few days. And of course I see my DN on the 27th too for my blood test results.

Week 8 Day 53:

Fasting BG 4.5

Reactions: marathonmona

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The blood test results in 6 months time will be VERY intesting as they will show if you have defeated your Type2 in a way that allows you to live a normal life.