Type 1 People who just don't get it

Willow_14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I was helping my friend and her mum out at this year 7 disco thing to make sure the kids were safe and stuff and her mum asked us to go and get her a diet coke. So we went and asked if they had any and the woman was saying things like "well I'm a health professional and the normal coke is better for you even though it has all that sugar in it so we only have the normal one." I know it is better for you because it hasn't got all the chemicals in it but because of my diabetes I can't drink 'sugar'. So I said I can't have the normal coke because I can't drink 'sugar' and she gave me the most disgusted look. I mean I know she doesn't know I have diabetes but she doesn't know why I can't have the original coke, lots of people can't with lots of different problems. This just really annoyed me because she started giving me and my friend a lecture about it and she doesn't know anything about my life so I don't see why I had to have a lecture from her about why I can't drink diet coke when I know and can and have to if I want coke.

Thank you,
Willow

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
She was just a bit of an idiot. And you will meet a lot of them through life.
However if the school organised the event, I'd probably drop them a more asking that future ones offer a choice.

Reactions: 5 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What @Diakat said..

But thinking out this..
One could also report this woman to the school for giving out "unsolicited diatary advice" to potentially vulnerable & impressionable youngsters.?! (I got no idea the age group of a "year 7".)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Everyone is different. End of.
The sooner everyone realises that, the better.
Some type 1s and type 2s need the sugary drink to resolve their hypo.

No one has to inform strangers of their personal business. Otherwise we would be flooded with everyone's health problems and personal life.
For one. I cannot listen, constantly of just that.

I try and take the attitude, everyone is different. Sometimes I find idiotic attitudes to be offensive and let them know that. Depends on my tolerance level on the day.

There is so many medical conditions now, more awareness but can be too much for some to keep up. I try and educate without pushing my views on others.
Even I get carried away on some passionate subjects. :(

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If she was a 'health professional' (which she probably wasn't) and talked that rubbish to me she would have had a long lecture to correct her ignorance!

Reactions: 3 people

Dark Horse

I think you were getting the sales pitch - you wanted something she didn't have so she tried to persuade you what she was selling was better so you would buy it.

Reactions: 5 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think you were getting the sales pitch - you wanted something she didn't have so she tried to persuade you what she was selling was better so you would buy it.
Dangerous people. Do anything for money, those?

Reactions: 2 people