Peoples ignorance!!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Type 1 diabetes is entirely treatable by diet. Provided of course you're happy to accept a very short life expectancy. A few weeks, perhaps months if you try very hard.
Type 1, by definition, is a chronic failure of insulin production. Without insulin, the body has no means of controlling blood sugar or fat metabolism and will dissolve itself in the attempt to provide sufficient cellular energy for survival.
I don't wish to be unkind, but please spare us from such buffoonery!

fergus

veggienft

i too as a type 1 and also suffer autoimmune disease(thyroid) would love to know where you get this idea from,
on diagnosis my bs was over 30 and id plus 4 ketones and was told if id have gone to sleep that night i wouldnt have woke up so im extremely interested in what you say??

I'm not looking for a 20-sided pile-on contest. I'm composing my case, but have a very full schedule.....

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Me too.

As a T2 and a researcher into all aspects of Diabetes I am always looking for good information I can refer to. I said good ! :D

veggienft

Two blood chemicals cause the pancreas to release insulin, glucose and endorphin. Conventional diabetes treatments concentrate on the glucose pathway. This is about the endorphin pathway.

The body uses insulin as a vehicle for transporting glucose into cells, mostly adipose cells. Cell mitochondria convert the glucose into ATP for energy.

The reason why opiates kill pain is they plug into nerve receptors designed for the body's own pain killer, endorphin. During exertion the body uses endorphin to prevent muscles from devouring themselves (catabolism). The pancreas's islets of Langerhans has nerve transduction cells which monitor exertion-induced endorphin. Upon contact with endorphin these nerves signal beta cells to release insulin.

Besides using insulin as a glucose vehicle, muscles use insulin to switch from devouring themselves to devouring other sources of energy (anabolism).

There are probably many food proteins which mimic endorphin and/or insulin. The most widely studied of these proteins are part of the gluten molecule, the protein in wheat, rye, barley and oats. The reason gluten is studied so thoroughly is that it is the cause of celiac disease, the only autoimmune disease with a proven cause.

Celiac disease has been linked through large solid human experiments to type 1 diabetes.

Gluten is an incredibly complex protein, containing hundreds of complex proteins. The three worst offenders are HWP1, A5, and Wheat Germ Agglutinin (WGA). All three proteins mimic other critical proteins and cause ...........yes, cause .........both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. As I will explain, there are many causative levels.

In the small intestine HWP1 mimics the attachment protein of the fungus candida albicans. Two aspects of candida albicans are critical to disease progression. 1) Candida thrives on ingested sugar 2) The immune system clears candida by releasing the protein zonulin into the gut. Zonulin causes the small intestine walls to become porous. This washes the contents of the gut into the bloodstream, where the blood's immune system can deal with the candida.

Because gluten HWP1 mimics candida, a person with compromised immunity can initiate zonulin dumps in the presence of either candida or gluten. In such people, the zonulin dump places undigested gluten proteins into the bloodstream. These proteins include gluten WGA and gluten A5. Gluten A5 is a strong opioid. It mimics endorphin. A5 can plug into pancreas islet receptors in place of endorphin.

Autoimmune diseases are diseases where the immune system attacks tissue because it thinks the tissue has been compromised by an invading antigen. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease. Type 2 diabetes is not.

Gluten A5 plugs into islet nerve receptors, fooling them into thinking the blood is full of endorphin. The pancreas responds with a constant flood of insulin. In type 1 diabetics the immune system responds by attacking the gluten and associated islet cells. In type 2 diabetics, there is no immune response. Type 2 diabetics continue over-producing insulin. Type 1 diabetics stop producing insulin.

Meanwhile type 2 diabetics face another problem with gluten WGA protein. WGA mimics insulin, but does not transport glucose. WGA clogs the insulin receptors in adipose cells, and does not allow insulin to transport blood glucose into the cells.

Clogged insulin receptors leave type 2 diabetics with loads of circulating glucose. Poor insulin production leaves type 1 diabetics with the same condition.

If it seems like I'm saying all autoimmune diseases (not conditions) have the same cause? .......I am. They tie together at the same nexus which makes it possible to treat type 1 diabetes with diet.

I'm not aware of a non-celiac autoimmune disease characterized by an immune attack against any tissue except nerve tissue. Again .......autoimmune disease, not autoimmune condition. Ingested sugar and complex ag proteins place the ag proteins into the bloodstream, the ag proteins attack nerves, and the immune system attacks nerves.

However, other pathogens also attack nerves. Most notorious is varicella zoster, the chicken pox and shingles virus. Autoimmune diseases are, as in my case and another poster's case, heavily tied to thyroid disease. The thyroid axis is controlled by the brain's hypothalamus. Recent research has identified a nerve system which connects all organ transduction nerves to the hypothalamus. It is the orexin/hypocretin nerve system. The orexin system controls wakeful vs sleep states, and controls digestive vs exertive states. It does so by turning on and off potassium ion channels used by organ transduction nerves .......the nerves attacked by ag proteins and by the immune system.

As I described above, the organ failure in type 1 diabetes and other autoimmune diseases is characterized by loss in the immune system's ability to distinguish between pathogens and ingested ag proteins. This ability is a function of organs which are also ........wait for it .........controlled by the orexin nerve system. These organs include the thymus and spleen.

So autoimmune disease has an additional cause, viral orexin system infection. Think of it as the internal equivalent of shingles.

Now! How can one use this information to treat type 1 diabetes and other autoimmune diseases? By my definition they are not necessarily defined by total destruction of nerve tissue, but by destruction of nerve environment, of nerve platform.

1. Fight the zoster virus. Build up your immune system. Start ingesting reasonably large doses of vitamins C, D3, B complex, omega 3 oil. You might also consider getting a doctor prescription for a course of antiviral drugs, effective against the zoster virus.

2. Fight the gut candida. In diabetes sugar in the blood is a big problem, but sugar in the gut is a HUGE problem. Stop ingesting ANYTHING resembling sugar, including fruit and artificial sweeteners.

What? You're addicted to sugar? Take heart. Remember? I said gluten A5 is an opioid. It is the primary opioid which addicts diabetics to sugar.

3. Fight the ag proteins. Start performing elimination challenges. Eliminate as many possible culprits from your diet as possible .......starting with gluten. Suspect milk casein, legumes (peanuts, soy and beans), nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and eggplant), onions, garlic and various salicylate dyes like MSG, turmeric and annatto (the yellow die sometimes used in cheddar cheese). See what happens.

Eliminating gluten will, if I'm any example, de-mask the effects of other harmful proteins. So first eliminate gluten and sugar. Start the other protein challenges a few days later.

After two weeks of elimination, start reintroducing suspect proteins in two day increments. If any protein gives you trouble re-eliminate it and stabilize before proceeding.

I would not expect immediate restoration of pancreas insulin production, but I would watch for substantial improvement. Test blood sugar often until you get it nailed down. Throttle injections accordingly.

Very low carb diets work substantially against the effects of type 1 diabetes. Minimal insulin injections are still required for feeding nerves with gluconeogenesis-created blood glucose. My regime does not deal with the effects of type 1 diabetes, but with the causes. Low carb diets avoid mitochondrial metabolism. My regime attempts to restore mitochondrial metabolism.

http://www.canibaisereis.com/download/celiac-disease-surprises.pdf
http://www.patienthealthyself.info/Celiac_Disease_Article.html
http://www.albatherapeutics.com/Default.aspx?tabid=168
http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:6107317/pmid/cit
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12826451
http://members.cox.net/harold.kraus/gluten/anno_symptoms_files/diabetes.htm
http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0306987706006037
http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/new-genetic-link-between-cardiac-arrhythmias-and-thyroid-dysfunction-identified-25334.html
http://www.zombieinstitute.net/General.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6322356

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
So, basically it's all just a theory you have that a Type 1 can be treated with diet alone and no Insulin ?

I wonder how they (Type 1's) will feel about that. I'm a bit disappointed really, I thought you had a 'miracle' cure. :( Very informative though, if you eat gluten free, coeliac....sorry celiac in the States.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
veggienft
Many cases of T2 ARE treatable by diet and exercise alone IF the Patient is sufficiently motivated. T1 is Insulin Dependent ALWAYS.
Some T2s cannot manage exercise and diet only either. It may be the sseverity of the insulin resistance or motivation problems or......or.....
I CAN manage without medication. I did it for a bit just to prove to myself that I can, however, I use Metformin, because it has other beneficial effects too.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i can see where you are coming from but it still doesnt mean i can live without insulin, i do not inject much but couldnt live with none at all,
also ...are you saying i could also live without my thyroxine?? as someone who was close to death on diagnosises of autoimmune illnesses i am very interested in what you say

jopar

Ken

Being a T1, not on your nelly am I'm going to stop taking my insulin and believe me that is putting my thoughts very politely indeed...

There is a problem here...

Where is the reseach papers that depict this is happening in ones body?

Is this information based on research conclusions?

As there is a lot of difference between the theory and something working in practice...

veggienft

So, basically it's all just a theory you have that a Type 1 can be treated with diet alone and no Insulin ?

I wonder how they (Type 1's) will feel about that. I'm a bit disappointed really, I thought you had a 'miracle' cure. Very informative though, if you eat gluten free etc.

Awwwww......... Is this too hard?

I didn't say it would be simple. I said you could do it. Simple is injecting insulin, and saying a few words over what you believe to be a dead pancreas.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
veggienft said:

I wonder how they (Type 1's) will feel about that. I'm a bit disappointed really, I thought you had a 'miracle' cure. Very informative though, if you eat gluten free etc.

Awwwww......... Is this too hard?

I didn't say it would be simple. I said you could do it. Simple is injecting insulin, and saying a few words over what you believe to be a dead pancreas.

Hard.....you have no idea. :D Is that the best you can come up with ? I think you may have crossed a line..... :lol:

As for saying a few words, is that what we will be doing at the graveside of anybody foolish enough to take your advice ?

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What veggienft is suggesting, if I understand it correctly, is not that we (type 1's) can survive without insulin. Clearly that is not an option and I'm relieved to discover he is not suggesting it is.
His position seems to be that beta cells have the capacity to regenerate and that it's an ongoing autoimmune attack, triggered by dietary factors, which prevents this from restoring sufficient insulin independence.
GLP-1 is known to stimulate beta cell regeneration, that's essentially what Byetta or exanatide tries to do. I think there was also some success recently with epidermal growth factor and gastrin which seemed to increase beta cell numbers and function. Both of these therapies offer the promise of a brighter future for all of us.
It's intriguing to imagine which dietary factors might play a part in provoking the autoimmune response in the first place, or cause it to continue. A fair few of us have tried to fly the flag for what initially appears to be counter-intuitive dietary approaches (carbs-bad-fat-good) which work extremely well in restoring a proper hormonal and metabolic balance, not just in diabetics, but in all of us.
It would be wrong to dismiss out of hand any other counter intuition which might offer even more benefits. However, there is abundant evidence of the health benefits in restricting or eliminating sugars and starches. It is straightforward to apply and the benefits are often immediately obvious. I'm sure veggienft will understand a healthy scepticism about which other foods might play a part in the etiology of type 1 diabetes, particularly since immediate benefits might be very difficult to observe.
The first hurdle therefore must surely be to provide some evidence of dietary changes which induce a reduction in exogenous insulin markedly greater than what could be predicted by the simple restriction/elimination of starches and sugars. That alone, for example, allowed me to reduce my daily insulin dose by 75%. Try as I might, that's as far as I seem able to go.
I for one would like to keep an open mind about other possible dietary therapies. With a healthy scepticism.

All the best,

fergus

veggienft

One reason why people seek low carb diets is to seek relief from metabolic syndrome symptoms .....type 2 diabetes, atherosclerosis, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and obesity. Low carb diets are effective against these conditions because they clear the blood of excess glucose ......the same reason why low carb diets are roughly 75% effective against type 1 diabetes.

My approach clears the whole body of the causes of diabetes. There are a myriad of other broken processes in multi-organ autoimmune syndrome, including poor adenosine production, poor cholinesterase production, and bile acid over production. They all hinge on viral orexin system infection, gut candida infestation, loss of immune acuity, and gut permeability.

Autoimmune conditions? They also hinge on these factors, but are secondary effects .......rheumatoid arthritis, atherosclerosis, arteritis. Think Tim Russert. They are caused by cytokine storms. When zonulin flows through a porous gut into the bloodstream it causes immune antibodies to release the cytokine TNF-alpha. TNF-alpha starts a cascade of inflammation-causing cytokines .......coxes and interlukens. Autoimmune sufferers share this syndrome with metabolic syndrome sufferers.

These cytokines work with heightened blood sugar to elicit secondary autoimmune attacks and cancer. All can be controlled with the regime I described.

veggienft

Hi

Are you type 1 veggie?

I'm LADA ......like type 1, but with slow onset in adulthood. In retrospect, I've been LADA for about 25 years with progressive diet restrictions.

How about you?

C.Bell

Some comments in this thread are strange!

To put it simply - autoimmune reaction involved with type 1 diabetes = adaptive immune system attacks and DESTROYS insulin producing beta cells in the islet of Langerhans in the pancreas. Once destroyed, the cells do not regenerate and are gone.
The honeymoon period is where you have some beta cells which have not yet been destroyed and continue to secrete insulin. The honeymoon period is over when ALL the beta cells have been destroyed - ALL the cells have gone forever and cannot regenerate (unless via artificial methods - stem cells etc).

Bearing in mind not all autoimmune diseases have the same mechanisms or biological pathways and so the mechanism involved in type 1 diabetes is different from other autoimmune diseases.