Perfect Low Carb Bread Recipe!!

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
I'll let you know once I've given it a try, but it sounds as if it will be great as long as I don't eat too much of it :)

lynde89

I think I will have to give this a try too! I'm on the Burgen bread at the moment, but generally doing salads for lunch at the moment, so this should be a nice change! Just need to pick up some ingredients.

Glad it's I'm cups too, I prefer cooking this way :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sam
where do you source your gluten powder?
Hana

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
SamJB said:
It would be interesting to get some feedback on this. I think its great but no-one else has said so, so it might be rubbish!

Just to let you know, I tried this recipe out, and it's the best low carb bread recipe I've ever tried, and I've tried a lot lol. It looks, feels and tastes like bread. I didn't have wheat bran in mine, so I think that might have thrown off the flavour a bit (I need to nip out and buy some for next time), but I had buttery toast for breakfast this morning and it tasted great.

I love this recipe. Thanks for sharing it :D

Reactions: 2 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's great to hear, Claire! Glad I wasn't deluding myself!

Sorry for the late reply, Hana, I must have forgotten to reply. I've given a link at the top if the thread for the cheapest online place to buy wheat gluten.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
hi,

This might seem a silly question but is Soy flour the same as Soya flour?

Gonna try this at the weekend once I get some of the above flour.

Thanks

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Sam,

What bread maker do you recommend? Are they huge great things?

Thanks for the recipe; my wife is into making bread (by hand) so I might buy her a breadmaker and then force her to make this.

Dillinger

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The breadmaker I use is a Russell Hobbs 18036. I'm not 100% certain that Soya flour is Soy flour, but I reckon it is - ground up soya beans.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well I did some looking and it seems that Soy is American for Soya.

But I just wanna say Sam YOU ARE A GOD!!!!! This is the best and lowest carb bread I have tried! Its sooo nice. Im gonna make all the time!!!!!

The texture is just right, the flavour is unusual but nothing I couldn't get used to. Might try to add some herbs and maybe sundried tomatoes to future batches!

Thanks, Love it! I can have sandwiches again!

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi Sam JB, I do not have a breadmaker, do you really think that I would need one to make this?, Deb

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I expect you could make it without a breadmaker, I don't see why not. I've never tried as it's too much of a faff for me! I prefer to chuck everything in the breadmaker and press Go!

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks SamJB, has anyone else made this bread by hand, without a breadmaker?

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I am going to give this a go Sam. Thanks for the recipe.

The only thing I miss is bread. I always gave a slice of Burgen for brekkie but don't eat spuds or pasta so I am naturally a fairly low carber.

I also live on my own and large amounts may go uneaten... I am assuming you can freeze this bread?

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
And one more thing...

Could I leave the Linseeds whole as in Burgen bread?

I haven't yet got one of those telly chef whizzy things.....

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I have used whole linseeds. You can get ground ones from Holland and Barrett. I've not tried freezing it, but it doesn't keep well compared to supermarket bread. I'd say no more than a week to ten days in the fridge.

It is quite similar in taste to the Burgen bread.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I made a peanut butter and (reduced sugar)jam sandwich last night. Never tried one before but it was so nice I may just have another tonight!!! I used one slice of this bread cut in half. Tasty little treat.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great idea Lenny. I'm really pleased there's been such a positive reaction by everyone. The main question is, does it affect your BGs?

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi SamJB, I have just purchased a bread-maker in order to make this recipe. I have ordered Vital Wheat Gluten from hon4est-to-goodness as you suggested but where is the cheapest place to but Soya Flour and Wheat Bran please?. Someone wrote that they had bought wheat bran from Tesco's but when I looked online I couldn't find it, thanks to all, Deb