Perhaps I am in the wrong place or are the doctors wrong?

Toulouse31

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
I have had a fibromyalgia diagnosis for 14 years and am familiar with the effects of sleep deprivation resulting from it. This seems different from (and in addition to) my usual symptoms. I feel I need to find an answer myself because I believe, from experience, that doctors will give me the answer you just did. I should add that I appreciate your answer which is well intended.

Hello, I am also a fibro sufferer and your post jumped out at me just as I was considering joing here as a neebie. I have been to see my GP over the past 2 years or so for a host of symptoms and am ALWAYS told it is 'normal' with Fibro, being Hypothyroid, a plump middle aged woman, or 'lifestyle', or 'stress': I live in France and my OH is a wine merchant.
I will not hijack your post, just wanted to say that here we get a big printout of our results and keep all our own x-rays etc so there I can check everything myself. I got absolutly NO WHERE in the UK when I knew I had a thyorid problem but could not get actual numbers. I have been fobbed off so many times and now here I go again!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you been tested for Vitamin D deficiency? It can be associated with both extreme fatigue and fibromyalgia.

Toulouse31

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you been tested for Vitamin D deficiency? It can be associated with both extreme fatigue and fibromyalgia.
Mine is 28 (range 30-70) so very low again (was 26 last year) so have 100,000 units of vit d per month during the winter which gets it up to about 40+, it helps with the chronic pain. I had a DEXA and my bones are fine. mine is probably linked to malabsorbsion rather than sun, i live outside most of the lovely summer here :) y GP was stunned it was so low when he started testing it.

S

Sable_Jan

I have been suffering for some months from waves of extreme tiredness - in the mornings especially. A recent fasting blood test showed my blood glucose to be 6.2 mmol/L. My GP's receptionist told me my results were "normal". Yet the internet says this is prediabetes. A cardiologist (his stand-in) I was seeing about palpitations also brushed this level away as normal when I suggested it may be behind the cause of my tiredness.
I have fibromyalgia so such brush-offs are a way of life for me. The cardiologist blamed the medication I was on for the tiredness - but I have been on it 14 years so this is nonsense. I am now seeing nobody about any of this. But the tiredness is sometimes overwhelming and I keep wondering about this sugar thing. I have no wish to challenge these medical experts. I have no weight problems, a healthy BMI, pretty good diet, don't drink or smoke. I do a little farming and take as much exercise as I can stand. So there is little I can change in my life to improve things. Am I missing something?

Hi the waves of extreme tiredness are most likely your fibromyalgia. I have fibromyalgia too and although only mild towards some I still get energy losses. If your sleep is broken (as mine was - waking every hour) then you will be fatigued in the morning. I was given amitryptiline (still can't spell it right after years of practice :D) which relaxes my muscles giving me a better sleep. Often though I can suddenly be tired at any time of day whether doing anything or nothing - as though someone has just flicked a switch.

I have been diagnosed pre-diabetic but don't know what my fasting bloods were but low enough for the doc to get an hba1c done too (help me out here someone - I think I've all the letters and numbers but not necessarily in the right order)

Hope this helps somewhat - I was lucky - didn't get fobbed off with the fibromyalgia