Period and blood sugar tracking apps

scaryblueberry

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have significantly different insulin needs at different times of the day and month and although I’ve been type 1 diabetic for 24 years I still haven’t got clarity on the patterns, especially related to time of the month. I end up chasing my bloods for at least a week a month. I have asked my diabetes team to help me understand hormones and hormone cycles and they just said it’s complicated, that they don’t have any resources and to get a period tracker app. I just got Quin (a blood sugar tracking app) which says it will soon have a period tracking feature. Currently it doesnt seem to give any more info than can already be found better on a continuous blood glucose monitor.

So my question here is 3 fold.

1) has anyone used Quin? Found it helpful? Not? Heard about the period tracking feature and knows when it’s going to be released?

2) has anyone used a different period tracking / hormone tracking app to help with their diabetes management? Found it useful?

3) has anyone found any useful resources on understanding hormone and period cycles either in relation to Diabetes or not?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
From what I've heard from others is that many of us have different insulin needs at different times of the month, but the way our cycle affects our needs varies a lot from person to person.

For me, I used to need way less insulin from a day or two before my period until a day or two in. (Which worked as a useful but annoying reminder to put some tampons in my pocket. ;))
Others are the opposite and find their insulin is like water at the start of their period.

I also often have a week where I need much more insulin than usual, but never found the discipline to track how many days after my period this happened to see if there was a pattern.
And now it's no use anymore, I'm 46 and I think my periods and the effect on my BG is much less predictable.

So like with all things diabetes, you likely have to find your own pattern.
The way I deal with those sudden changes in insulin needs is to adjust all my doses/ratios as soon as I see a sudden increase/decrease in BG.

I did ask my team a couple of years ago if using contraception could be of help with those swings but they had no idea.