Peripheral Neuropathy

Midlander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine started about 8 yrs ago. I thought I had bits of gravel in the bottom of my shoes. I actually took them off and shook them upside down and put my hands in them to see if I could feel anything there....of course, there was nothing!

Never thought much about it, was just a mild annoyance.

A couple of years later it had gotten worse and the sensations you mentioned were there. My toes were both numb and hypersensitive at the same time. The slightest knock to them had me reeling in agony.

I had been tested for diabetes a few times before as I had some symptoms but it always came back fine. Both my mother and her mother had diabetes, my grandmother had to have her legs amputated because of it. years ago now, bless their souls.

Anyway, i was sent to a consultant who did tests and finally said I had PN, and there was nothing they could do as they couldn't find the cause of it (I was convinced I had diabetes and that was the cause).

Went though all the different pain meds, Amatriptyline, Gabapentin, etc, etc, but nothing worked.

My brother who is a few years younger that me was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes so I went back to docs for yet another test and this time it came up positive. Not that anything can be done now but at least now I know. Metformin and diet change are helping with that.

I was a Nightclub Doorman and had to give it up as I couldn't stand for the hours on end that I had to do. I still do my full time job as a Security Officer but worried about how long I'll be able to keep this up for, though my colleagues are great and let me man control most of the time so I don't have to stand. I do still have to do patrols and other stuff though and by the time I get back to control I'm limping from the pain.

I can't wear normal trainers anymore as they are too tight, in fact I can only wear a pair of slip on shoes that I have for work and I managed to get a pair of wide fit trainers that don't seem too bad. Still hurts abut not as bad. I've bought quite a few pairs of shoes but found that I couldn't wear them as it was too painful. Wish I could walk round barefoot all the time!

Heat seems to flare it up and if I have a nice hot bath I can hardly walk when I get out, the pain is so disabling in my toes.
filling the bath ankle deep with cold water and sitting with my feet dangling in seems to sooth the pain though.

I used to like walking, going on holiday and exploring (got halfway down the road last year and had to turn back because of the pain). I go to concerts quite often and have to pick seated, even then when it's a big arena like the 02 here in the uk it can be a hell of a long walk round the arena and from the car park.

Has anyone tried or where would we stand on getting a disabled badge? I feel this would help so we wouldn't have to walk as far.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome @Midlander.

Hope the following information regarding application for disabled parking blue badge is of use to you. Also, understand how debilitating PN can be.
How are you managing your diabetes? Have you looked around the forum for examples of how others cope?
Plenty of information and supprt available. Have a read, and ask questions.

https://www.gov.uk/blue-badge-scheme-information-council

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine started about 8 yrs ago. I thought I had bits of gravel in the bottom of my shoes. I actually took them off and shook them upside down and put my hands in them to see if I could feel anything there....of course, there was nothing!

Never thought much about it, was just a mild annoyance.

A couple of years later it had gotten worse and the sensations you mentioned were there. My toes were both numb and hypersensitive at the same time. The slightest knock to them had me reeling in agony.

I had been tested for diabetes a few times before as I had some symptoms but it always came back fine. Both my mother and her mother had diabetes, my grandmother had to have her legs amputated because of it. years ago now, bless their souls.

Anyway, i was sent to a consultant who did tests and finally said I had PN, and there was nothing they could do as they couldn't find the cause of it (I was convinced I had diabetes and that was the cause).

Went though all the different pain meds, Amatriptyline, Gabapentin, etc, etc, but nothing worked.

My brother who is a few years younger that me was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes so I went back to docs for yet another test and this time it came up positive. Not that anything can be done now but at least now I know. Metformin and diet change are helping with that.

I was a Nightclub Doorman and had to give it up as I couldn't stand for the hours on end that I had to do. I still do my full time job as a Security Officer but worried about how long I'll be able to keep this up for, though my colleagues are great and let me man control most of the time so I don't have to stand. I do still have to do patrols and other stuff though and by the time I get back to control I'm limping from the pain.

I can't wear normal trainers anymore as they are too tight, in fact I can only wear a pair of slip on shoes that I have for work and I managed to get a pair of wide fit trainers that don't seem too bad. Still hurts abut not as bad. I've bought quite a few pairs of shoes but found that I couldn't wear them as it was too painful. Wish I could walk round barefoot all the time!

Heat seems to flare it up and if I have a nice hot bath I can hardly walk when I get out, the pain is so disabling in my toes.
filling the bath ankle deep with cold water and sitting with my feet dangling in seems to sooth the pain though.

I used to like walking, going on holiday and exploring (got halfway down the road last year and had to turn back because of the pain). I go to concerts quite often and have to pick seated, even then when it's a big arena like the 02 here in the uk it can be a hell of a long walk round the arena and from the car park.

Has anyone tried or where would we stand on getting a disabled badge? I feel this would help so we wouldn't have to walk as far.

@Midlander

Most importantly what are the goals you have for the rest of your life? Do you wish to live with T2DM or try and put it into remission? That has been the question for me. I've suffered from PN since I was diagnosed too. So come back to us on this and I'll try and help.