Pernicious Anaemia

cpomd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Having no meter due to Postcode Lottery
Long time Type 2 controlld by metformin.
I have ben informed by the receptionist at the Doctors that I would have to find a tablet from Chemist as the Surgery cannot give
me a three monthly B12 injection. Speaking to the Chemist he tells me for the sum of £15.00 per 100 I can obtain 100 tabs to be taken daily. Any Comments?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d be double checking a few things with the doctor. Firstly I’d want to be sure that there’s no possibility of an injection if that’s your usual treatment. Then I’d want to know the recommended dosage if you need to get the B12 in oral form. As a minimum I’d have thought the doctor should be able to prescribe something.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I don’t know whether you can get a prescription or not, but if you can, then the dose and type of B12 will be decided by the doc.

if you have to get your own (I have been buying my own B12 for years), then I suggest you ask your doc to specify the type and dose, and delivery system.

There are different forms of B12, some more absorbable than others, also it can come in liquid or tablet form, for swallowing, or to hold under your tongue for absorption through the lining of the mouth. All the information you need to decide on dose and type is available online (that is how I got started with B12 supplementation), but if your doc tells you what you need, all the better!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you’re a diabetic on Metformin you shouldn’t be paying for your prescriptions, so I think it would be perfectly reasonable to ask your GP to prescribe the B12, as said above to get correct dose but also you shouldn’t need to buy your own.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If you do end up buying your own then keep in mind that cyanocobalamin requires sufficient intrinsic factor (a protein in the stomach) to be utilised. Methylcobalamin, however, does not require intrinsic factor for the uptake of B12. So I always go for Methylcobalamin.

My daughter has very low iron her doctor will not prescribe the iron supplements she requires even though her hospital consultant has requested it she has to buy them herself.

She has suffered from low B12 for years and used to have the injections until her doctor decided he would no longer prescribe them.