Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I need add another item to my hamper
A new left eye please!
I've only just spotted the typo in the thread title. I know I typo a lot and don't spot them but this one is rather noticeable :shy:
(Hoping that smiley is blushing or contrite... I cant tell the detail!):watching:
You can edit the title!
Click the 3 dots on the top right and choose 'edit thread' in the pop up menu.
Should be similar on a phone, unless you use the app. If you do use the app, try logging in on your browser. :)

1701039255797.png

Reactions: MrsA2

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are some very high quality (and traditional) cheeses with added ingedients. There's a very nice mature clove cheese, famous from the area where I live, and there's a common Gouda variety with cumin. I like goat cheese with fenugreek as well, and I'm happy with a good strong nettle cheese too. Love a ripe Morbier, which has a layer of ash in the middle, which could be seen as an added ingredient.

But yes, most cheeses sold with added ingredients are just a way to sell cheap cheese.
How interesting! They sound like traditional cheeses that require skilful handling and, in some cases, ageing. The Morbier is the only one of those I've encountered. Is the mature clove cheese called Kanterkaas or Friese Nagelkaas?

Reactions: Antje77

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here with an overripe blue cheese, only found out after having eaten two bites. Took me a while before I wanted to et soft blue cheeses again. But I still leave cheeses to ripen, most of the soft ones are at their best when they're about a week past their use by dates.
Ooooer yuck! :yuck: Thankfully they were more than noticeable in the brie.

It's only a typo, @MrsA2, we all do them. :) As for the smilies, they are very small, even with my new glasses I'm squinting.

• Agree

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How interesting! They sound like traditional cheeses that require skilful handling and, in some cases, ageing. The Morbier is the only one of those I've encountered. Is the mature clove cheese called Kanterkaas or Friese Nagelkaas?
It's Friese Nagelkaas!
I'd never even heard of kanterkaas.

I've also started a cheese thread because this one seems to be moving from christmas hampers to cheese, and while I love cheese, I also like the original purpose of the christmas hamper thread. :) https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/fantastic-cheeses-and-where-to-find-them.200812/

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's Friese Nagelkaas!
I'd never even heard of kanterkaas.

I've also started a cheese thread because this one seems to be moving from christmas hampers to cheese, and while I love cheese, I also like the original purpose of the christmas hamper thread. :) https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/fantastic-cheeses-and-where-to-find-them.200812/
Well, I may be able to get my hands on some Friese Nagelkaas, but won't know for certain until after Christmas.

Thank you for starting a cheese thread. Much appreciated.

• Optimistic

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 Google the Torpenhow Cheese Company. Small farm cheese maker in Cumbria a little bit out of the Lake District but their cheeses are amazing and are sold in local shops. We get our Christmas cheeses from here - and their butter is stunning

By the way it’s pronounced Trapenna - why? Because that’s what us Cumbrians do lol

• Informative

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread is magical!

You won't believe what just happened: The mailman brought me a Sinterklaas present (poem and all) which has suspiciously strong Christmas hamper vibes. Sinterklaas must have been reading this thread, judging from the presents. :)
I believe I unpacked my very first Christmas hamper ever! And while I was doing so it started snowing and my world has changed to a Christmassy white too. :happy:

It held 6 gifts, all of them diabetes friendly.

Warm pink alpaca woollen socks with cats to go with my ridiculous pink and white bathrobe I use after swimming.
A box of matches with Sinterklaas on it.
One of those egg timer eggs.
A mug with a guinea pig.
A bottle of sugar free maple syrup.
Two beautiful small bags with 3 chocolate pepernoten in each. Those are far from low carb, but if you only eat 3 for dessert (instead of the whole bag like I would if I would buy them) you'll still have a low carb meal!

1701266573546.png

1701266731524.png

1701266867232.png

Lakeslover

@Antje77 Google the Torpenhow Cheese Company. Small farm cheese maker in Cumbria a little bit out of the Lake District but their cheeses are amazing and are sold in local shops. We get our Christmas cheeses from here - and their butter is stunning

By the way it’s pronounced Trapenna - why? Because that’s what us Cumbrians do lol

ha. That‘s To fool the tourists! Hi from Workington.

my hamper would include good cheese, a good red wine, home made (by someone else) low carb cheese crackers, dark chocolate, duck liver and brandy pate, and an elf to cook Christmas lunch.

Reactions: jessj and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it still a Christmas hamper if you buy it yourself but with clear instructions on what to buy?
My friend wanted to cheer me up (and very much succeeded!) and sent me 35 euros to be spent on cheese!

Here's the result from a visit to a high quality cheese store this afternoon. :happy:
Looks a lot like a perfect Christmas hamper to me.

1703789980537.png

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it still a Christmas hamper if you buy it yourself but with clear instructions on what to buy?
My friend wanted to cheer me up (and very much succeeded!) and sent me 35 euros to be spent on cheese!

Here's the result from a visit to a high quality cheese store this afternoon. :happy:
Looks a lot like a perfect Christmas hamper to me.

View attachment 65209
How interesting @Antje77! Does the cheesemonger carry Friese Nagelkaas?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooh! Please which are they?
1703796020433.png

Not sure which is which though, except for the Dutch ones and the morbier, which is the middle one in the back. A soft cheese with a sharpish flavour and a layer of ashes in the middle.
The Dutch ones are Van Erk overjarig - overjarig meaning very mature and falling apart when you try to cut it, Van Erk being the brand (or possibly the farmer).
Delfts blauw geit - Delft blue goat, word play on the famous Delftware pottery.
And Boer Mulder pikant. A sharpish flavoured cheese made by a farmer called Mulder. (Which is Dutch for miller so one of his ancestors must have had a windmill.
The one center front is apparently a goat's cheese ripened in oak leaves, looks very exciting. :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, not exactly a hamper but possibly even better:

My present from my son was supposed to be:
12 packets Cheesies
12 packets Chicken skins
2 bars 85%
And very nice it would have been too :)
But due to a delivery mishap and a missing parcel that was refunded then redelivered 2 weeks after, I ended up with double :D

Dates are mostly April but there's so many am sure I'll still be eating them far beyond

Attachments

• Xmas 2023.jpg
    Xmas 2023.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 42

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only just saw the thread, so my wish list is:

1. Glasses of good quality pesto
2. Good quality salami
3. San Daniele prosciutto
4. Super soft gorgonzola (I missed out on a really good one from Rome when I was pregnant)
5. Seed crackers

What a lovely thought exercise :)