Personal Chrsitmas Hamper

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please note: I've posted this in the Low Carb section as that what's relevant to me. If you want to copy the idea into different Way of Eating threads please do

So lovely people it's that time of year when people put hampers together.

Just for a bit of fun, What 6 luxury items would you like to see in your own hamper?

Money no object (as its all pretend) and what is 'luxury" is open to interpretation .

Mine would be
A bottle of very expensive brandy
A bottle of dark spiced rum
A whole truffle brie
A box of low carb dark chocolates with fillings of nuts and caramel and truffle that are also miraculously carb
A box of crackers for cheese that are low carb and don't taste of cardboard
A large bottle of lemon olive oil from Cres in Croatia

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strangely none of mine would be food so probably can’t play :(

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
1. Roasted gammon joint. With cucumber and onion in vinegar.
2. Gammon steak.
3. free range large eggs.
4 fried mushrooms and onions.
5. Best tomatoes from the Mediterranean.

And a proper mug of strong black tea to wash it down.

merry hampering Christmas.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So food wise

1) nicely marbled wagu steak cooked in rosemary butter
2) Japanese baked lemon cheesecake
3) Lobster with butter sauce
4) cheeseboard with a very runny French brie, Gorgonzola, soft goats cheese, pickled shallots
5) hot chocolate made with double cream and melted chocolate and a good tot of brandy
6) someone to cook it all rather than me

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So food wise

1) nicely marbled wagu steak cooked in rosemary butter
2) Japanese baked lemon cheesecake
3) Lobster with butter sauce
4) cheeseboard with a very runny French brie, Gorgonzola, soft goats cheese, pickled shallots
5) hot chocolate made with double cream and melted chocolate and a good tot of brandy
6) someone to cook it all rather than me
That made me drool...until you spoiled it with my bete noire, goats cheese

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably not as it’s in the low carb form :)
It doesn't get any lower carb than non food, does it?

I want some good quality smoked salmon.
5 different cheeses, all strong in taste but of different flavours and textures, and of better quality than the supermarket stuff.
The amazing Spanish pork scratchings Lidl sold two years ago, never had any close to this after, and they didn't come back in the store.
One of those colour changing eggs where you can see how far your egg is done boiling.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of those colour changing eggs where you can see how far your egg is done boiling
What is this wonderous thing?

My choices:
1. https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/4536/pussers-gunpowder-proof-british-navy-rum
As we are allowed 6 choices, the multipack would do, but if that would just count as one I would also have
2. Peanut butter cup made with 85% choc and good quality peanut butter.
3. Lancashire cheese.
4 Dexter beef, short rib, but any cut would do.
5. pork rind crisped up.
6. Brussels sprouts sauteed in buttervand Marmite (I know, weird, but this was the one food I craved when on a total foid replacement regime.)

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll steal two items from your hamper, @MrsA2

A bottle of very expensive brandy (preferably Courvoisier XO or Initiale)
A bottle of dark spiced rum
A grass fed rib of beef
A haunch of jamon Iberico (along with a Spanish guy to slice it!)
A lump of Manchego Curado
and some low carb mince pies

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use one of those eggs things all the time @Pipp & @Antje77 - they give perfect eggs, got mine from Amazon- will put pic on tomorrow
They're especially useful because between the chickens of different breeds, the turkeys and the ducks I always have different sized eggs, so a visual clue on how far in the egg is done works much better than trying to guess how long they'll need.

As we are allowed 6 choices, the multipack would do, but if that would just count as one I would also have
Of course it counts as one!

I'll steal two items from your hamper, @MrsA2
I think I might watch this thread for a couple of days and then simply steal everything from everyone's hamper.
I've never received a Christmas hamper in my life so I can do the catching up all at once. :angelic:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband gets a "Kerstpakket" every year, what I suppose you'd call a hamper, and while it's always great fun unpacking it, there's rarely anything in there I can partake in. It's all carbs and cow-milk-based. Oh, to have one of my own!

Nice hard, aged goat's cheese, with fenugreek or something in it
Insanely hard to come by, but one of the owners of my favorite chocolatier is addicted too, so they often have it: Lavender Fields Forever dark chocolate with lavender, imported from Budapest. (Made by Rózsavölgyi Csokoládé, imported by Gula Delicatessen)
To stick with chocolate, 100% Lindt, available all over. ;)
And more chocolate: The same chocolatier does pralines I can actually have, in moderation. Wouldn't mind a box of their extra dark delights.
Smoked salmon
Maple Syrup by the gallon (Steeves Maples does an excellent sugar free one!)
Confit de Canard
And some nice mugs or something. There's always something quite useless/ugly/funny in the box Kornelis brings home, so terribly ugly-christmas-sweaterish mugs would be fun, or something with lights in. Or catty. Just because it makes me feel cheerful. ;)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What different lives we lead.
What different tastes we have.

And how do you lot getaway with all those treats?

This is why a treatment plan for diabetes cannot succeed if it is one size fits all!

I dream of cheesecake!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What is this wonderous thing?
I use one of those eggs things all the time @Pipp & @Antje77 - they give perfect eggs, got mine from Amazon- will put pic on tomorrow
I beat you to it @lovinglife . :joyful:
Here it is @Pipp , it's about the same size as an egg and it changes colour from the outside when it gets hot. So you simply throw it in the pot with your eggs and you can see how far they are done. :)

1700842201122.png

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I beat you to it @lovinglife . :joyful:
Here it is @Pipp , it's about the same size as an egg and it changes colour from the outside when it gets hot. So you simply throw it in the pot with your eggs and you can see how far they are done. :)

View attachment 64496
well there I was thinking of how I would like some chickens that lay those magic eggs. It’s not edible, is it? :bag::hilarious: