1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Personal safety and security when using the forum.

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by DCUKMod, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Most of the bots that are on this forum are search engine bots such as Googles and Bong, they index the forum all the time which is why DCUK has such a high ranking in searches compared to other diabetic forums.

If you are worried about your personal info in your profile, change it so you are not readily identifiable, my profile could be correct or it might not be as I have taken care what I put in it.

As I said to @Contralto they mainly search engine bots, and the Admin will want those on the site at all times.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

@Contralto there are standard protocols in place for controlling robots access to websites - or various parts of them, and these are set up for each site by the site administrators. As already mentioned most robots do a vital and necessary job indexing sites for the search engines. The robots will respect and adhere to the access permission set for each site, and for the most part this keeps information and data safe and secure, but occasionally there are rogue robots which ignore these protocols, e.g. to collect email addresses for spamming purposes, which is why we should all take care about what and how much (personal) information we choose to make public online. Have a Google search for "robots.txt" if you'd like to see further information about these protocols.

Robbity

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I think it's important that this site does show up on Google searches. That's how I and many others found it.

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

I'm not too worried about the bots, probably because I don't understand them, but I am concerned about the number of people who have been identifying themselves recently and, perhaps more so, those who unwittingly identify themselves. Perhaps it doesn't matter to you if neighbours, or people you don't really know, but see you around, are aware of your medical history, but what if you criticise your doctor's surgery (libel) or ask for advice for taking insulin into the USA for next week's holiday (leaving house empty) or say that your next door neighbour has just been diagnosed (breach of trust) and so on.

Once out of the bag, personal information cannot be retracted and the ability to discuss something private, and keep it private, on the forum goes. While some will happily go public with their identities, it is so important that we all think through the consequences and remember that the internet record will be available world wide, long after the local paper has been through re-cycling.

Sally
    ps, if you live next door to a nice middle aged couple called "Sally and James", it's not us!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well, I'm little, grey and a bit catty at times. :)

I do recall a few years back there was a big wave of complaint because some people had misunderstood the nature of the Forum and thought that all their postings were (and should be) private to the forum only.

As others have said, if the Forum is not visible to Google (other search engines are available) it is very difficult for non-members to find the forum and to find relevant topics within the forum to encourage them to join us. Hiding from the world, and especially other people with diabetes, seems unfriendly to me.

Remember also that we don't pay for the Forum, and it is run by a commercial enterprise. If they can't advertise via searches then how are they going to fund this very useful Forum?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

[QUOTE"Contralto, post: 1888400, member: 118285"]And my antivirus suggests that by entering this site, I am not secure. So, I will probably have to leave[/QUOTE]
    If you click on the locked padlock in the address bar you will see this info for the https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/ site.

I have never had any warnings with this site being unsecure by my AV programme coming here.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Contralto - I have to say I'm really struggling to understand where your concerns lie.

The site bears the https:// and the padlock symbols, signifying it to be secure:

upload_2018-9-30_9-50-13.png

Appearing in high positions in Google (other search engines exist of course) is important, if we consider how many people have found this site by utilising search engines, searching for answers to an issue a the time, and how valuable so many have found the site having done so. To render the site unfindable would, in my personal view, be a disservice at best and a very cruel step.

If you have genuine concerns or queries then please do email forum@diabetes.co.uk and explain them as fully as you can, so that they may be investigated more fully. This thread was established to warn people of other very important aspects of their personal physical, mental and potentially even financial security and well being and this discussion is deflecting from it.

The safety and security of our members is paramount to DCUK.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

You do not to have a "blog".

My blog is secure...

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. T2#Me

T2#Me · Well-Known Member

So pleased to see this excellent system in place ... I am on many internet forums (mainly for video games), which are usually madhouses not for the frail, so it's nice to see caring advice to people who are putting themselves out there, and making themselves vulnerable. As we say on my favourite forum "Respect, Dude!" :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook