1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Personal safety and security when using the forum.

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by DCUKMod, Jan 8, 2018.

1. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

From time to time, on a forum such as this, an unfortunate set of circumstances or actions arises, giving one or more members concerns. Examples of what might happen might be an inappropriate attachment from one member to another, suggestions to go off-site to one-to-one contact within, say, WhatsApp, Facetime or Messenger. Other examples would be for the sort of scamming activity we might see on TV; perhaps individuals looking to raise funds for “medications/treatments/emergency repatriations” - just as examples.

I am sure we are all familiar with those “Foreign Prince” email scams that encourage us to part with our money, but it is less easy to spot a clever bit of manipulation on a forum – especially one populated by fellow travellers along a sometimes tricky diabetes path. We have a natural “me too” response to much we read.

So please remember that we only have each other's posts to go on, for everything we know about our fellow posters. DCUK have a system of checks and an active moderation team, but while it may be easy to spot a scam email, it can be less easy to spot a dishonest poster. Sometimes someone may post on the forum with the goal of extracting money, whether by promoting products, encouraging Private Messages or by a sob story.

Should you ever find yourself on the uncomfortable end of any of those circumstances, or indeed something else, please hit the Report Button, immediately. The Report button is located under every post, and every Private Message conversation entry. Please check that you know where the button is. Alternatively, email forum@diabetes.co.uk to express your concerns.

Any such concerns will be thoroughly investigated, and where necessary, actions taken.

Raising a Report or emailing your concerns is not telling tales. It is playing your personal part in the safe and happy running of DCUK and a valuable feedback loop into the site Management/Admin Teams.

The safety, security and privacy of our members is paramount to us at DCUK, and we do need your assistance to ensure, where at all possible, any undesirable behaviour or actions are prevented or nipped in the bud.

Many thanks for reading.

• Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Useful Useful x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. DCUKMod

3. archersuz

archersuz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@DCUKMod
    Thanks for this post. I will reply to help bump it up. It contains a very important message for all our friends on here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DCUKMod

Fab, thanks.

5. Salvia

Salvia Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Agreed. Maybe this, or something like it, could be put in the 'sticky' sections, where appropriate, and a link in daisy1's advice for new members. (haven't checked whether it is already in those places - could have egg on my face here ........ so what's new, hehe)

• Like Like x 2
  6. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

• Like Like x 1
  7. tina_marie

tina_marie Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. JohnnyBaker87

JohnnyBaker87 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, @ickihun, my lovely friend, for the advanced warning and from the @DCUKMod . With the vulnerability in my autism spectrum disorder, I can be very gullible and non-discerning as the consultant psychiatrist at the ADHD and Autism Service observed in my ASD assessment. A lot of my posts are very detailed and specifically honest and I tend to give too much away. I'll try to just post diabetes-related posts to the open forum and keep personalised posts to PMs only. God bless you and the @DCUKMod 's thoughtfulness, @ickihun.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  9. Judy1887

Judy1887 Type 1 · Member

@DCUKMod Thank you so much for the post... Being a new member here, this is very important post...

mod edit: fixed @ address

• Agree Agree x 1
    #9 Judy1887, Jan 19, 2018 at 6:36 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2018
  10. DCUKMod

@Judy1887 - Welcome to the forum. Just a quickie.

You might like to have a little look at your profile. It suggests you are T1, but taking tablets?

To adjust your profile, hove over your user name at the top of this page, then click on Personal Details. When there, scroll down to both "Diabetes Type", then below that, "Treatment Type".

That'll just help members respond to you appropriately, and hamper any confusing enquiries.

11. DCUKMod

Bump

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Tony337

Tony337 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Message received and understood.
    Thank you

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  13. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

Thank you for the information.

14. TTTE

TTTE Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great information

15. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Since it has been mentioned, bump! :)

16. Kevyu

Kevyu Type 2 · Well-Known Member

17. Rockman

Rockman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information

• Hug Hug x 1
  18. Suffolk gal

Suffolk gal · Active Member

Thank you. It's always as well to be alert.

19. Tinkie

Tinkie Type 1 · Newbie

Thank you for the information.

20. DCUKMod

Not all bots are undesirable Contralto. Those decisions are not mine to make.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook