Pesky dawn phenomenon

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me I still see a rise at the weekend, as my body cant tell when the weekend is..............

I don't get a lie in anyway, two young kiddies...........;(

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I'd like to see a rise at the weekend, but let's not go there ...

Reactions: 11 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did once read somewhere (can't remember where) that if you are a "morning person" ie. you wake up and are alive and kicking, energetic and wide awake all morning, then you have a naturally bigger DP. If, like me, you are dozy and incapable of much thought in the mornings, you have naturally less DP.

Reactions: 2 people

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What makes the DP stop then - eating breakfast?

I woke up and forgot to test and at 11.00 I was - 6.1
Just eaten breakfast lets see....

Before - 6.1
After scrambled eggs/bacon on 8carbs of livlife toast
0.5 Hours - 6.9
1.0 Hours - 7.3
1.5 Hours - 6.6
2.0 Hours - 6.1

I does not seem to stop after eating for me
but if I wait till 5pm with just coffee it will go to 5.6

Dunno why I did this really - given meters can be 20% out (+/-10%) all seems illogical and infuriating
hehehehe

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those readings are perfectly normal @madusmacus Your before breakfast was a tad high, but the rest are good in my eyes.

My before tea readings are always significantly lower than my before lunch ones, mainly because there is a longer gap between lunch and dinner than there is between breakfast and lunch..

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What makes the DP stop then - eating breakfast?

I woke up and forgot to test and at 11.00 I was - 6.1
Just eaten breakfast lets see....

Before - 6.1
After scrambled eggs/bacon on 8carbs of livlife toast
0.5 Hours - 6.9
1.0 Hours - 7.3
1.5 Hours - 6.6
2.0 Hours - 6.1

I does not seem to stop after eating for me
but if I wait till 5pm with just coffee it will go to 5.6

Dunno why I did this really - given meters can be 20% out (+/-10%) all seems illogical and infuriating
hehehehe

You wouldn't know if it has stopped from those results.......they seem fine to me.........:)....

I think type 2 diabetics who do have their own insulin and are on oral meds only, will see only a small DP effect if any.........

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did once read somewhere (can't remember where) that if you are a "morning person" ie. you wake up and are alive and kicking, energetic and wide awake all morning, then you have a naturally bigger DP. If, like me, you are dozy and incapable of much thought in the mornings, you have naturally less DP.

Eureka!!! So that's me sorted! Thanks ;)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 3 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was wondering if anyone had noticed a Summer/Winter difference in the DP.

I have a tendency to wake up with the dawn, about 4.30 at the moment, but don't get up until the alarm goes at 6.30 just dosing in between, or having odd thought going through my head like this morning. In winter I find it very hard to wake up at 6.30 while it is still dark, (I got one of those dawn simulator alarm clocks to try and help), but I was wondering if my body wanted to wake at 4.30 would that be when my DP kicked in and in winter I would be up before it happened.

I've not been testing for long, so I was wondering if any of you long term tested had noticed any difference.

I don't want to try testing at 4.30 as with out my contact lenses in I am pretty much blind and sharp stabby things aren't a wise idea.

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering if anyone had noticed a Summer/Winter difference in the DP.

I have a tendency to wake up with the dawn, about 4.30 at the moment, but don't get up until the alarm goes at 6.30 just dosing in between, or having odd thought going through my head like this morning. In winter I find it very hard to wake up at 6.30 while it is still dark, (I got one of those dawn simulator alarm clocks to try and help), but I was wondering if my body wanted to wake at 4.30 would that be when my DP kicked in and in winter I would be up before it happened.

I've not been testing for long, so I was wondering if any of you long term tested had noticed any difference.

I don't want to try testing at 4.30 as with out my contact lenses in I am pretty much blind and sharp stabby things aren't a wise idea.

Now, that's a fascinating hypothesis. I've always hated waking up to closed curtains, so always wake up to daylight (if there is any!)

Unfortunately, I haven't been testing dawn phen long enough to know if it changes with the seasons, but I am waking up early at the moment - and once my eyelids are open, there is no chance of more sleep. I'm averaging a lot less sleep than I used to. Over the weekend it was only 5 hours a night, and I couldn't spot a food, stress or caffeine connection...

Last edited by a moderator:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

Do you not have a pair of emergency specs?

It would make sense in the context of human history - get up with the light, liver provides glucose for the start of that hard day ahead surviving in the savannah.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do have emergency specs but as the prescription is so strong it takes me about 2 hours wearing them to get use to them as I am so used to the contact lenses, so they really are emergency only measure if I can't wear the lenses for days. Apparently it isn't unusual with strong prescriptions as the distance from the lens to the eye comes in to play.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for the explanation Ruth :)

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had asked a question about DP and was directed to this thread. I read it all the way through last night and found it quite illuminating.
I have only been testing for 3 weeks but consistently get early morning reading in the eights.

I decided late last night to have some peanut butter on celery.

My reading this morning was 5.5!!!!!!! I am staggered, coincidence or what?

I had asked the question whether going 12 hours from evening meal to morning test was too far, have I answered my own question?

Was it the peanut butter or that fact that I ate something at 2300?

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an enforced experiment this morning as I had a fasting blood test at the surgery (HbA1c and the rest). I haven't been experiencing fasting liver dumps in recent weeks, normally same level as going to bed. I always eat breakfast within 15 minutes of getting up. However, this morning:

Going to bed last night 5.7
On rising this morning at 8am 5.7
Before leaving home for surgery at 9-20am 6.3
On arriving back home at 10am 6.2
Breakfast

No food, no brews, just water, no exercise, no shower (just a wash), no stress, nothing unusual, last ate at 7pm last night.

Just goes to show what a nonsense our fasting glucose tests are at the surgery. Thank goodness they don't do them at mine once diagnosed.

willow67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people,nasty habits,people who don't clean up after their dogs !
flies,wasps……the list is endless….oh and being tired…
posting to subscribe to this thread,as apart from very interesting you guys have given me some giggles. :)
and where a bouts is the " new you in 42 " please. thanks

willow67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people,nasty habits,people who don't clean up after their dogs !
flies,wasps……the list is endless….oh and being tired…
ta very much for the welcome and the link. :)

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had asked a question about DP and was directed to this thread. I read it all the way through last night and found it quite illuminating.
I have only been testing for 3 weeks but consistently get early morning reading in the eights.

I decided late last night to have some peanut butter on celery.

My reading this morning was 5.5!!!!!!! I am staggered, coincidence or what?

I had asked the question whether going 12 hours from evening meal to morning test was too far, have I answered my own question?

Was it the peanut butter or that fact that I ate something at 2300?

Had peanut butter again just before bed last night and this morning 6.2.

Not as good as the 5.5 but still a massive improvement.

Need to order peanut butter in bulk!!

jim

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had peanut butter again just before bed last night and this morning 6.2.

Not as good as the 5.5 but still a massive improvement.

Need to order peanut butter in bulk!!

jim

Holland and Barrett have a kg of sugar free for £5! Bargain

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.