1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Petition for Dr Tim Noakes

Discussion in 'Ketogenic diet forum' started by Kailee56, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Kailee56

Kailee56 LADA · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. MARGAR

MARGAR Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I heard Dr Tim Noakes talking with The 2 x Keto Dudes - I listened on The Dudes Podcast. I keep looking out to hear some-one say Type 2's with insulin are eating the Keeto way. I started 2 weeks ago, so have got a lot to learn.

I'd like to hear of Anyone out there with Type 2, with insulin, to see how they manage.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MARGAR

I see no response to my topic above, surely I'm not the only one!
    I'm going to see Nurse at GP's Surgery on Tuesday 3rd April - I'll tell her I've been (almost, had to have a couple of cheats) Keto for approx 3 weeks, I wonder what her response will be?

• Like Like x 1
  4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Probably incredulity that you aren't dead..
    But seriously are you injecting insulin for your Type 2 whilst keto?
    Have you not experienced any hypos or are you monitoring very closely?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. MARGAR

Thank you for responding....Yes I inject twice a day..I have lowered the insulin somewhat, but that I need to lower it even more. I'm hoping the Nurse will advise the dosage. The lowest my b.s. Readings have been in the last 3 weeks is 4.6 when I feel I really must eat something. Keto "stuff" doesn't seem work quick enough, to get me out of that almost panic feeling.

6. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

If @MARGAR is like me. Hugely insulin resistant. Even strict keto won't stop her need for insulin to reduce her bgs. @bulkbiker.
    Its nice to see I'm not alone. :)

Not saying IR cannot be reduced but will take far far longer than the ones not so aggressively IR.
    Weight loss is a huge help.
    Exercise, not stressful.
    Liver blocks.
    LONG TERM - FOR LIFE.

An improved hba1c in 3 months isn't enough, unfortunately.

7. MARGAR

Ooh...how interesting...but so much to learn...was 6.3 after b/fast, just had cream coffee, will be having roasted chicken thighs with leeks cooked in butter & goats cheese, + Spring cabbage, for lunch. Hope you are all enjoying your Easter Break, go easy on the Hot Cross Buns!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I'm loathe to give you any advice as I have no experience whatsoever with insulin. But I'd say 4.6 is what you are aiming for. Keto food shouldn't raise your blood sugar quickly, its "designed" not to... so not much use for a hypo. I would heartily suggest a frank discussion with the nurse on Tuesday and see what she says about coming off insulin completely when trying keto. I would have thought that the problems caused by hypos in your position would be far worse than higher BG levels for a few weeks. But I'm no HCP just a random voice on the internet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MARGAR

Thank you so much bulkbiker....I'll report back after Tuesday. Regards MG

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook