Pets?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi
3 cats in our home. Sonny black and white about 14 from Cats protection , very high blood pressure affecting his eyesight and is on BP tablets, Harley black a 14 in July, very young looking and agile, all black, but, bless him, not quite all there :wink: and Pebbles, 3 years old and belongs to my D, she is a little madam at times and chirps away when she comes in or wants some treats from the cupboard.Many years ago I used to have a Saturday day job in Kennels, out in the countryside, hard work, little money, but I loved it to bits :) Animals are wonderful, they dont ask for much, just some food, shelter and lots of TLC :clap: :wave: RRB

LaserMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have a black cat - thought let her have kittens and keep a couple of them - different colours wanted of course. Sat in conservatory watching two toms fighting over her - the colour of the toms? Both as black as soot! The result? Two black kittens. So now we have 3 black cats - Daisy (the mum) is about 13, Frostie (a Tom) and Shadow (a Queen) are about 12.
Then there is Taylor, the Springer Spaniel who thinks he's a cat. Tries to sit on my lap. Gets jealous of the black ones and tries to push them off. He's usually successful - his bums a lot bigger than theirs!
Strangely enough it's usually the two boys (Frostie and Taylor) that get frisky with each other - not only the wrong sex but even the wrong species! :roll:
Oh, and Daisy's an alcoholic (if she's allowed near any) - you have to guard your drinks well in our house!
Love 'em all to bits, of course!
Also have a teenage daughter - not nearly so cute and cuddly :lol:
:wave:

Phoebe13

It's great hearing how many of you have dogs and cats together - I'd love to rescue a dog but my OH is worried the cats wouldn't appreciate it.

I have 3 cats - I had 4 but my beautiful Penelope was hit by a car in November :cry:

Now I have Delilah and her sister Esmerelda, who are about 2 and a half. We rescued them at the age of 4 weeks when they were found wandering the street outside someone's house - the person who found them took them to the house they were found outside but the people living there said they didn't want them as they already had too many cats. The RSPCA wouldn't take them, as they were full in the area, but I had been looking for a kitten (or two!) anyway so I was glad when my friend rang me to tell me he'd got two little babbies for me!

And all on her own is little Aurora who is about 1 and a half - Penelope was her sister, they were both quite badly treated as kittens and I rescued them last winter when they were dumped in a cardboard box in the snow. They had a really close bond and used to love nothing more than grooming each other and then curling up for a snooze in a big puddle of fur! They were exactly the same colours so you couldn't tell one from the other except Penelope was a little larger and had a purr like an outboard motor! Now she wanders around the house on her own a lit and sits looking out of the front window waiting for her sister to come home.. it breaks my heart!

lynnelink

Type of diabetes
Type 2
we have just become humans to a beautiful 11wk old bearded collie called geordie he makes my days worthwhile . I am isolated by the fact that i am a carer for my youngest son who suffers from autism and a lot of my friends don't undersatnd his condition and have melted away over the years their loss not ours as he is a lovely lad. I have wanted another dog for the last 7 yrs since losing our old lady but hubby kept saying no. Last year we became grandparents to a lovely Lurcher when my son and daughter in law adopted a gorgeous greyhound/deerhound cross who is absolutely loopy but keeps us busy. We also have a 6mth old human granddaughter who is adorable . Since Geordie has come into our home he has been a source of much laughter and fun but also knows when i am down and will come and sit on my lap and have a cuddle he won@t be able to do this much longer though the way he is growing can't wait to get him out for walks when his jabs are all clear . :D :thumbup:

Golly this could be a long one.
4 chickens (ex battery), 8 bantams, 2 whippets,2 guinea pigs, one macaw, one budgie, two snakes, two bearded dragons, an Iguana and 4 tortoises. I wouldn't be without any of them.

Sally

sharonValerie

I have two Beagles, Bonnie and Clyde and they are both devils but I love them all the same. Pets are great, they keep you sane even if Clyde has ran off with two glucose meters and eaten them!!!! :lolno:

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Ive got four housecats and one extra cat who belongs to a neighbour but is not let in to the home in any wind and bad weather he comes over to me and stays mostly in my conservatory but more and more comes in the house,my own tom cat hates the intruder so have to keep them apart
Also have two border terrier dogs
Did a quick rough estimate of food litter vet ect and scared myself LOL
These furbabes give us so much love and laughs they are worth it all :lol: :lol:

johno0812

I've got 2 miniature schnauzers, Holly,3 and Bryn 2. They are both great although not all the time. We lost our other schnauzer 4 years ago house wasn't the same. I do think pets, regardless of what you have keep you going. I have to get up and take them for a walk, although I have to say in the snow I didn't as they get ice balls in their legs and you have to defrost them so it isn't worth it and they don't like it.

Sent from the Diabetes UK App

Nikkig

We have a GSD called Rajah, he's 10 and unfortunately suffers from a canine version of MS, but he still eats, enjoys short walks and games and is happy. We love him to bits, as I write OH and Raj are on the floor having their evening cuddle!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1359841029.068088.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1359841029.068088.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 696

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Here's a picture of me and my kitty, Theo:

734149_10151430928301320_380284371_n.jpg

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I've got a cat who could be Theo's twin!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
N'awww! She does look like Theo! Theo is definitely more black than her though. So adorable :D

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
She is mainly white with black patches and a black tail - typical for a bicolor cat.
Theo looks like a tuxedo cat. He is huge..... :D

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Exercising on the treadmill.....

581267_124739837666040_606287787_n.jpg

PetiteSJ

My fiancee has got an English bull terrier called Charlie he's nearly 10 months old & is a stubborn pain in the bum at times but he loves nothing more than a cuddle (and steak if I stupidly leave some out - bye bye dinner :lol: ) he's pretty good when my fiancee or myself have low blood sugar levels he barks & goes even more scatty than usual :lol:

We're currently saving for our own place so residing with his parents who own Roxy a white boxer (she's MENTAL!!!), Louie a shar pei x alsation (he looks like a giant fluffy fox) & Henry a lhasa apso.

Then there's four cats (zoo, boo, celeste & noah), fish, rabbits, 3 geese & looooooads of chickens it's mad :grin:

SJ x

Charlie & Roxy having a cuddle & a snooze :grin:

Charlie

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1360080254617.jpg
    1360080254617.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 770
  • 1360080322220.jpg
    1360080322220.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 793

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I have 2 cats. A 12 Yr old tabby and an 8 month old black, both boys, both chopped! :lol: But they do still fight, with the help of Feliway they get along, they may not like each other but they do get on. I also have some tropical fish, which the cats like to watch and try to get :shock: So Im never lonely in my little 1 bed flat! I couldn't imagine not having at least 1 cat around, ive grown up with cats.

Attachments

• IMAG0228.jpg
    IMAG0228.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 733
  • IMAG0285.jpg
    IMAG0285.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 713
  • IMAG0388.jpg
    IMAG0388.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 711