PHCUK Conference Videos

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was fortunate enough to attend the PHCUK Conference, in Birmingham, earlier this month. The presentations are now beginning to appear on YouTube, as they promised. They're well worth the watching time.

The content is for health, and of course, there was a good deal of discussion on Diabetes, but it wasn't specifically a diabetes event.

This first video is Drs David and Jen Unwin (David is @Southport GP ), talking about the work they do in their NHS Practise, and summarising their results.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I was fortunate enough to attend the PHCUK Conference, in Birmingham, earlier this month. The presentations are now beginning to appear on YouTube, as they promised. They're well worth the watching time.

The content is for health, and of course, there was a good deal of discussion on Diabetes, but it wasn't specifically a diabetes event.

This first video is Drs David and Jen Unwin (David is @Southport GP ), talking about the work they do in their NHS Practise, and summarising their results.

Thanks so much for these. I wouldn't have been aware without your post:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And this morning, the upload topic is the DCUK Low Carb Programme some may have tried. The presenter is @Administrator :

Anyone interested in knowing when other PHCUK videos are uploaded can subscribe to the PHCUK YouTube channel and adjust their settings to receive notifications.

Reactions: 7 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Great!! I've subscribed and looking forward to the updates:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
And this morning, the upload topic is the DCUK Low Carb Programme some may have tried. The presenter is @Administrator :

Anyone interested in knowing when other PHCUK videos are uploaded can subscribe to the PHCUK YouTube channel and adjust their settings to receive notifications.

Arjun, great presentation, your enthusiasm is so infectious. Well done to you and the team for pushing the envelope and championing lifestyle change and causative action.

You are doing outstanding work:).

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You are a clear speaker. nice to listen to.

Your point about the need to adjust the low carb program to people who fast from meat is an important one. We need thinking caps to construct alternative protein sources that are low carb. So it was occuring to me, what about some traditional sources, some of which are probiotic, like seitan? How can we discover reasonable gluten free alternatives of the same for vegan diets? It is not only Hindu but huge number of Orthodox Christians and Coptic people who keep vegan fasts over half the year and monks and nuns who keep these year round that need gluten free and vegan protein alternatives beyond nuts.

Very good Galija....have you any specific ideas Arjun?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's offering is Dr Ian Lake, a T1 GP, talking about T1 with Low Carb Diet:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought this was an excellent presentation by Zoe Harcombe:

I believe much of the content of the presentation comes from Zoe's PhD paper, so will have been through a robust challenge process.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Arjun, great presentation, your enthusiasm is so infectious. Well done to you and the team for pushing the envelope and championing lifestyle change and causative action.

You are doing outstanding work:).

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum
Really, really appreciated - thank you :)
So nervous as we were on after Dr Unwin. That's like being the warm-up for Elvis and going on stage AFTER they've played!

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You are a clear speaker. nice to listen to.

Your point about the need to adjust the low carb program to people who fast from meat is an important one. We need thinking caps to construct alternative protein sources that are low carb. So it was occuring to me, what about some traditional sources, some of which are probiotic, like seitan? How can we discover reasonable gluten free alternatives of the same for vegan diets? It is not only Hindu but huge number of Orthodox Christians and Coptic people who keep vegan fasts over half the year and monks and nuns who keep these year round that need gluten free and vegan protein alternatives beyond nuts.

I agree. Sorry, it wasn't just Asians, but that was a reference I made earlier as I referenced my grandmother who has prediabetes (with BGL getting higher) but won't give up her chapattis/rice as she feels it affects her quality of life. Zoe had mentioned it becomes about ethics vs science/nutrition - whereas I was trying to say was when ethics are infallible, such as my grandmother's, what do you do? A vege/vegan low carb plan for those who also don't eat western cheeses is something we're working on (again, using the South Asian community as the example)!

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. Sorry, it wasn't just Asians, but that was a reference I made earlier as I referenced my grandmother who has prediabetes (with BGL getting higher) but won't give up her chapattis/rice as she feels it affects her quality of life. Zoe had mentioned it becomes about ethics vs science/nutrition - whereas I was trying to say was when ethics are infallible, such as my grandmother's, what do you do? A vege/vegan low carb plan for those who also don't eat western cheeses is something we're working on (again, using the South Asian community as the example)!
If you haven't already looked into it, the book being promoted in this video may have some methods for adapting the traditional diet?

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's offering:

Shifting Perrespectives in Mental Health - Dr Tamsin Lewis

Reactions: 5 people

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Arjun, a great presentation and fantastic to see the low carb flag being waved. As a vegan, I would be really interested to see what comes forward on your work with veggie/ vegan diet plans. I believe in parts of Tibet there are populations that live off seitan (which contains virtually no carb content). It would be interesting to discover the extent of diabetes in that population group. My guess/ hope would be that it would be quite low, although if they also eat rice it would probably knock my assumptions into a cocked hat!

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done Arjun, a great presentation and fantastic to see the low carb flag being waved. As a vegan, I would be really interested to see what comes forward on your work with veggie/ vegan diet plans. I believe in parts of Tibet there are populations that live off seitan (which contains virtually no carb content). It would be interesting to discover the extent of diabetes in that population group. My guess/ hope would be that it would be quite low, although if they also eat rice it would probably knock my assumptions into a cocked hat!

Thank you for your kind words!
Wow, that's amazing. Do you know more about seitan? We'll research it!
Low carb definitely seems to be more difficult for vegans (or veges who don't eat cheese(s)) - what do you eat typically in a day? We're working hard on trying to figure out something that works - would love to run the recipe ideas by you when they're compiled and to hear your feedback! :)

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seitan is essentially made from gluten flour or gluten powder. As a general rule gluten flour averages at about 7.7g per 100g of carb. Now there are so many different recipes for cooked seitan so it is hard to average what the carb content might be. For example, many vegans will add nutritional yeast to the recipe but this can almost double the carb content per 100g (ie. 14g per 100g).

The bottom line is that correctly made cooked seitan can be tasty, extremely low carb and high protein - but watch out that there hasn't been any nutritional yeast added. To add flavour, we replace nutritional yeast with a richly flavoured vegetable stock. Works for us

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Tibetans appear to be generally less healthy.
One example of a study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4457922/

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Than @SunnyExpat this was very interesting. I suspect Western influence has affected their diet. Tibetan Buddhist hold that "you are what you eat" so avoid all meat, dairy and eggs. On top of that they seldom, if ever snack and only have desserts on very special occasions.

Unfortunately, poverty and access to meat, fish and rice (primarily from China) have created a change in the dietary culture there. Nowadays it's really only the Buddhist priests that eat seitan.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A country I've studied, but not been to yet, but it is on the cards one day hopefully.

Seitan can be difficult to make, but grains, especially barley was the staple diet.
Goat, yak, mutton, cheese from yak or goats milk, butter, from the same source of milk, noodles, dumplings, and broths were the normal types of food across the country.
I don't believe the Buddha was vegetarian, I think the rule was meat was allowed, so long as the animal wasn't killed specifically for him.
He got his food either by walking door to door, or by being invited to meals by his followers, and usually ate what was offered, and eaten by others at the meal.

Possibly buddhist monks had a superior diet, but that's common with most religious leaders across the world after the event.

And as the west discovers seitan, I doubt they'll be able to afford to buy it anymore, it'll all be exported as 'first pressed organic, traditional Tibetan'