Picking my first pump

Locky4260

Hi I have to pick between two pumps and would love to hear your pros and cons on both at the moment I am favouring the medtronic veo the other pump is the accu-chek combo as this will be my first pump so any help on this would be great thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: What pump to pick

bump this one up!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Locky4260 said:
What that about ?????

When no one replies to a thread it drops further and further down the View Active Topic section and can get missed altogether, by 'bumping a post up' it brings it back to the top so that it is more easily seen.

Hope you get some answers soon! :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

To keep it up, I'll just say I've been very happy with my Medtronic. It's not a Veo as it's 4 years old but I've had no problems with it. does what it says on the box.
The Veo has the advantage that it can be used with continuous monitoring but of course you can't normally get that funded on the NHS.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people

I have had a medtronic veo for 6 months and I find it very easy to use, small and, so far, reliable :thumbup: I use the sillouette cannulas and I get on very well with these too.

iHs

Hi

I chose the Accu chek Spirit Combo because as a woman I wanted the ability to deliver insulin using a remote handset instead of having to press buttons on the pump itself. The Combo is fairly easy to use with the remote and the Accu chek infusion sets are very good - flat profile with good connections. The pump handset will only use Aviva teststrips though. You cant manually enter a bg reading using another bg meter.

A really good comparison site is http://www.ipagscotland.org/images/pdf/ ... ompare.pdf
Look at the basal rate and the bolus delivery between the Veo and the Spirit Combo. The TBR is also important. These features will be important to you once you have the pump for a few months...........

jopar

I started out with the Blue Spirit pump, and 17 months ago I had it upgrade to the newer Combo, I didn't get a choice about what pump I had, it was a case it's this or nothing! But I must admit I've got no complaints and I do like my Combo, having a the combined remote/BG meter is something I would really miss now...

Choosing your first pump is difficult, because your not 100% sure what your actual needs are within insulin delivery, such as for one a increment of 0.05 in the basal is fine, but for another they may need the advantage of having a pump that can deliver a 0.025 increment!

But main factors, is checking out the menu side of things, is it easy to navigate, can you see the screen clearly! How many profiles does it have, and how many times in 24 hours can you adjust the basal rates, with the Combo you can adjust it every hour, but with a Animas 2020 if I remember rightly is was 8 times but you could program the start time and finish time of each segment.. But even with this for me it would cause problems as my basal changes 13 times in a 24 hour period..

Back to profiles, the more the better, as when I first had my pump, I need all the 5 profiles, due to shift working, and I also when making adjustments to any of the profiles, keep a back of my the profile I started with, so that if I make several different changes over a couple of days and waters start getting really muddy, I have my original starting point..

Cheryl

I have a Veo (my second pump, first one was an Accu Chek Spirit (not Combo)). I have written a pretty comprehensive review before, can't link from posting on my phone, but if you look at my profile, you should be able to find it easily.

ps I do like the Veo, has both pros & cons tho, as I expect they all do, so look at my earlier post on it.

Locky4260

Thank guy, just when I think yes that the one I read something else. Think am going to just have to go with my gut and pick the veo but thank you all again for your input

gwyn

hi my first time to the forum and as I am a new pump user I thought this may help. I have chosen the omnipod pump. no wires, remote very easy to use but as normal it helps to know your carbs. I have been on it for 6 weeks and love it love it. I have been diabetic since the age of 8 and now 58 I do not even remember the days of injections. The control is absolutely great. Only one problem for all is will your health authority fund it. go on utube put in omnipod and you will see a man demonstrating it. It is also tiny and discreet. once it is all set up through your diabeties nurse there will be no stoping you having excellent blood sugars. If you want to go for a walk you can slow the basal rate down but as I am sure all pumps prpbably do. I know I am praising this one but hey no wires good luck

Locky4260

thanks but as far as i know our health authority only offer the two which is not a bad thing as i think any more and my head would pop off lol but good luck with yours :)