Pinto, Courgette & Mushroom Bake - is it okay?

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Tinned pinto beans are about 15g of carbs per 100g, and a tin is about 240g when drained.
I'm guessing the 75g in the recipe was dried weight, so times that by about 3 when cooked, I would have said I only used twice as many as in the recipe, but my excuse was I had no mushrooms. ;)
Even if I eat it in 5 portions, I reckon I would be ok personally with 15g of carbs from the beans.
Some in the onion, leek, tomatoes, and flour, but obviously not enough to raise me by that much.

Now you have a meter, you need to start testing, and see what your own personal tolerances are.
Then try this recipe, it was delicious.
I might used 3 ounzes of the tinned Pinto Beans, or I might have just used a single tin, it was probably a whole tin, because I can't remember having any left over - because I couldn't be bothered with soaking the dried ones overnight, and boiling and all that faff - didn't think about 3 ounces of dried being so much more after soaking and boiling - and it still tasted lovely.
Yes, I know I need to start testing, I'm just trying to pluck up the courage... I might just wait until Saturday, when Ian can do it for me and that way get me used to it.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I might used 3 ounzes of the tinned Pinto Beans, or I might have just used a single tin, it was probably a whole tin, because I can't remember having any left over - because I couldn't be bothered with soaking the dried ones overnight, and boiling and all that faff - didn't think about 3 ounces of dried being so much more after soaking and boiling - and it still tasted lovely.
Yes, I know I need to start testing, I'm just trying to pluck up the courage... I might just wait until Saturday, when Ian can do it for me and that way get me used to it.

Do it now, it's something you need to be doing to get an understanding of foods.

D

debrasue

But would you be able to get the sauce to rise like a soufle with the egg in it? - that's the best part.

I've made this with dwarf green beans instead of Pinto Beans before, for someone who couldn't eat pulses - not quite the same, but... shrug.
I'm still trying to figure out how to use the "MyFitnessPal" app. I've found out how to add a recipe I've made myself - but mostly the ingredients I've used have not been found by it, so I'm a bit uncertain about its efficacy.
This book has been a huge help to me: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals-Count-Calories-Photos/dp/1908261064

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Do it now, it's something you need to be doing to get an understanding of foods.
I'm doing it, I'm doing it. sheesh, such a bully! ROFL!
By the way, waiting until the weekend so Ian could start with the stabbing worked well, letting me segue into doing it myself more gently than plunging straight in - like the swimming pool, I prefer to ease into things.