Pioglitazone advice .... or is it lol

xxxleonadxxx

Hi all,

I have been on Byetta for a long while now and GP and consultant have agreed that it is not working, I am allergic to all types of Insulin and soon to be going through Insulin desensitisation .... however, I have recently been put on Pioglitazone and since then I have been having MAJOR problems and sadly feel let down by the gp's and consultants.

I have been havng major joint aches (im a sumwhat active 30yrs old lol), when these happen I am almost immobilised with the pain (mostly in my knees) and then theres the back pain, but its not my back as such more my right kidney and OMG does it ache. I have terrible buzzing in my ears and its causing major headaches I also have terrible stomach/abdominal pains and cramps and my 'womanly issues' have all but gone.

I have contacted my gp (who has agreed to see me out of hours next week, although its taken lmost 2 weeks for this) and also contacted my consultant but he is quite dismssive of my symptoms and has given me an appointment for AUGUST. I mean i'm not one for complaining but I feel as though I am really suffering just now and in a great deal of pain, physical and mentally, and no-one cares.

To boot I also have an underactve thyroid and this seems to be on the blink too, I am on 325 dailyof Levothyroxine and its not working, however people I speak to seem to think that this is a very high dose (i have no idea about the doses etc) and that there may be another problem if this dose is failing.

All in all I am very confused as to what to do. I have tried to get an earlier consultants appointment, hoping my GP will help me with this too as I feel August is too far away.

Do you think that these issues could be related to any of the meds and has anyone else ever experienced any of these????

My current meds are Byetta, Gliclazide, Pioglitazone, Ramipril, Metformin, Levothyroxine

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi leonnad,
Sorry I can't offer any help but if you hang on in there Dennis will probably be able to advise you.

Regards Graham

Jay3109

Hi Leona

I seem to remember my DN saying that Gliclazide and a glitazone should not be prescribed together. Indeed my meds were changed to remove the glitazone when I went on Gliclazide...this was some time ago though so things may well have changed

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Leona.

Looking at your list of meds and the fact that you are on Byetta and getting all these pains etc. I have to say you need to get yourself an urgent appointment with either your GP or Consultant.
Is the Consultant an Endocrinologist ?

Waiting for any length of time is not an option !

I know that my Consultant immediately took me off Pioglitazone when I first went on Byetta and also reduced other meds as well. As stated by Jay3109, that was the first thing that happened.
You are on a fair old cocktail of drugs and side effects of most of them could produce your symptoms, including Byetta !

Please get an appointment now. If you are not satisfied ask for a second opinion.

Ken.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Leona,

Ken is right - your GP seems to have prescribed a large proportion of all the available diabetes treatments! Some of these do not work well together. You definitely must get to see an endocrinologist urgently. There will be more than one in your part of the country, so if the one your GP has suggested can't see you before August then ask him to find another one - and urgently!

xxxleonadxxx

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your replies, my GP appointment is on Thursday night and hopefully we can push through to get an earlier appointment, I have been making a list so that I don't forget anything when I get there.

I actally had a bit of a fright tonite, just before my hubs came home from work I was feeling very ill, when he came home I was in the process of depositing my recently eaten dinner down the sink :oops: ......... he got such a fright at the colour I had gone and the fact that I couldn't stop shaking he almost called an ambulance. When I get these little 'episodes' I get soooo cold, even when its roasting, and cannot stop shaking, my headaches are sooo bad that it fels like a build up of pressure in my head and my head feels too heavy for my shoulders and then the terrible tummy pains start and I feel sick, within about 30 mins I am terribly sick. Now I had bad symptoms with Byetta when I started about 18 months or so ago, but since then I have been ok.

I check my bloods regular and they are never low, high yes but never low so.

I'll see how I get on on Thursday.

Thanks for the help xx

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Leona
you need to see a doctor, but in the meantime
Is there a regular pharmacy where you collect your prescriptions? Could you talk to the pharmacist?
My local pharmacy sees each one of the "regulars" annually and goes through the medication with them, so that if there is an interaction, the prescribing doctor can be informed.

xxxleonadxxx

Hi all,

Well I had my GPs appointment tonight and wasn't worth much lol.

I took a rather iffy turn today and had to contact the hospital. I have now been told to stop the pioglitazone altogether for 1 week and see how I feel, they think I have taken a reaction to it. The hospital advised me to keep my GPs appointment just for safety and to let someone 'see me' in case it was something else.

well my GP was good as useless, I told her I had contacted the hospital and that they had advised me what to do and she said she would have been scratching her head and felt it best that the hospital deal with me as i'm just to complicated ................. I mean ***.

So tonight is my first night without the pioglitazone and shock horror, I haven't been sick (yet, touch wood lol). I have to go for a week without the pioglitazone and then if this sorts the problem out they will rejig my meds.

Fingers crossed that this sorts out my probs, just another medication to add to the reactions/allergic to list PMSL.

xxxleonadxxx

On another note, my bloods are usually (well to me) high i.e in the 12-18 bracket. When I was at the GPs today she said that anything from 5 - 14 was ok, is this right????

My consultant (who is an endocrinologist) always tells me we should be aiming for 6, 7 at a push, but no higher!

Who's right?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Your consultant is right
14 is Far too high.
I aim for under 6 at all times.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
xxxleonadxxx said:
On another note, my bloods are usually (well to me) high i.e in the 12-18 bracket. When I was at the GPs today she said that anything from 5 - 14 was ok, is this right????
My consultant (who is an endocrinologist) always tells me we should be aiming for 6, 7 at a push, but no higher!
Who's right?

Your Endo is right, after a fashion. He probably wants to spur you on to greater things.

The actual guideline figures you should be aiming for were updated early 2009.
They are as follows:
Fasting bg (waking).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after meals..........no more than 8.5 mmol/l.

If you can try to remain within those levels most of the time you won't be going far wrong at all.
I am sure your Endo will be pleased too. As for the GP.......enough said.

Ken

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Leona,

Your consultant is an expert in diabetes. Your GP will have had just a few hours training in diabetes when studying for her medical qualifications. From the sound of what she has been advising you she was probably absent on the day they covered diabetes! :?