Placenta Failure & Baby loss :(

Jkelly88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone lost their sweet baby to placenta failure?
I gave birth to a stillborn little girl 35+4 gestation 3weeks ago (my heart is in pieces) but she was very much alive when I went to hospital with reduced fetal movements. I had explained I had been having a severe amount of hypos in the days proceeding (would assume this was indicating my placenta was starting to fail yet they didn't bother to scan) long story short she was showing heart decelerations and synusoidal traces, this was over an 11hour period of monitoring, I feel they had plenty of time to get her out and they messed up big time.
I hope no one has a similar story and endured the pain we are in but at the same if anyone has I'd really like to speak with you...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, I'm so very sorry for your loss!
I have no words for it, wish a hug would help.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
So sorry for your loss @Jkelly88 thats heart breaking, please take care of yourself, I haven’t come across anyone in the same position as you so hope someone comes along who you can speak to.

Best wishes J x

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m so sorry. I couldn’t view this and not say anything at all even though no words will take the pain away.

I was with my best friend 16 yrs ago this week when she was told she’d lost her baby at 39 weeks. They never knew why. Take the time you need to grieve. I hope the hospital have offered support should you need it now, or later. My friend decided years later (after 2 successful but scary pregnancies) to have therapy that helped a lot process the experience.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Jkelly88 so story to hear this. My placenta began to fail but my child was saved. My cousin however, a non-diabetic, lost her first daughter at full term due to the umbilical cord getting caught. She found that the SANDs charity really helped with support.
I hoe you find emotional support and should you feel up to try again have the medical help you need.

Reemap

I am really sorry for your loss .. I delivered baby in April and can totally understand what you are going through .. hope almighty gives you the strength to pass this phase..

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I gave birth to a stillborn little girl 35+4 gestation 3weeks ago (my heart is in pieces) but she was very much alive when I went to hospital with reduced fetal movements. I had explained I had been having a severe amount of hypos in the days proceeding (would assume this was indicating my placenta was starting to fail yet they didn't bother to scan) long story short she was showing heart decelerations and synusoidal traces, this was over an 11hour period of monitoring, I feel they had plenty of time to get her out and they messed up big time.
I hope no one has a similar story and endured the pain we are in but at the same if anyone has I'd really like to speak with you...
This is a horrible story and I am sorry that you lost your little girl. I have had 2 experiences like this but fortunately my team did monitor me very frequently(had pre ecclampsia first time with decelerated movement and 3rd time I just didn;t feel right and my son's heart stopped at one point whilst I was being monitored) and they did deliver me early (34 and 35 weeks respectively). I think you should be asking for some answers given that yours was a high risk pregnancy or perhaps you are asking already? It may just be that there was nothing that anyone could have done of course and I am not suggesting that getting answers will in any way reduce your loss.

Jkelly88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a horrible story and I am sorry that you lost your little girl. I have had 2 experiences like this but fortunately my team did monitor me very frequently(had pre ecclampsia first time with decelerated movement and 3rd time I just didn;t feel right and my son's heart stopped at one point whilst I was being monitored) and they did deliver me early (34 and 35 weeks respectively). I think you should be asking for some answers given that yours was a high risk pregnancy or perhaps you are asking already? It may just be that there was nothing that anyone could have done of course and I am not suggesting that getting answers will in any way reduce your loss.
Hiya, thanks for messaging. The hospital have launched an external investigation now due to the seriousness of the incident. When we first went to triage we saw one doctor that was keen to expedite delivery, then the shift changed over, they were short staffed and only one consultant in who was busy with C sections in theatre. They had an on call consultant at home, I don't get why he didn't just come in knowing I was a high risk case. We had to keep pointing our the decelerations in her heart rate and kept being told "oh that's likely to be the equipment sensor, not your baby."
I feel so lost and broken :(

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel so lost and broken
oh i so feel for your pain. It's heartbreaking and will take a lot to get better. My cousin had therapy 4 years later for trauma. I don't know where you are in your life but I do know, cos i'm old, you will be able to deal with this, in time, lots of time, and lots of love. Much love to you and your little girl.

firdosa4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a stillbirth few years ago but I didn't have postmodern for him so it was speculated, along with a tight true knot on his umbilca cord. They assumed placenta failure as I had two mild hypos after breakfast on two consecutive days. The third day I had an appointment with the midwife who found no heart beat at 35 +2. I didn't seek help as I assumed only sever or constant hypo were worrying. My appointment was at 9.40 and I went to my appointment at 9am as I hadn't felt movements that morning. His last movements were around midnight when I went to toilet. The team that cared for me were amazing, I'm sorry you and your daughter didn't receive the care you both needed.

I changed hospitals for my subsequent pregnancy, because I found the buliding triggering. If like me you get the urge to get pregnant again soon, then I found my new hospital more risk adverse. I had more scans and saw obstetrician more often. I even gave birth at 33weeks because my insulin requirement after breakfast went down again. It might be normal or it might not be, said doctor. I then asked what her recommended was and she said a c-section after steroids.

You of course might not be thinking about another pregnancy yet. I'm only mentioning this in case it is something you want. I knew I wanted another pregnancy from the moment my middle son milk leaked from my breast. I knew I couldn't have him, but his little sister or brother seemed like a good thing to look forward to.
Stay strong, eat and drink when you can.

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I'm so so sorry for your loss and cannot imagine the pain you are feeling. I was really hoping that if possible you could give me some more details leading up to the sad loss of your angel?

I'm 34+5 and since Sunday have been constantly running very low for me. My daily average has gone from high 8's to low 4's with no post meal spikes and constant hypo throughout the night despite reducing both my morning and evening levemir. I am testing using the freestyle libre which I know isn't the most accurate with hypos but have also been using my finger prick the last couple of days and although not as severe with the hypos, the levels are pretty consistent.

I've spoken to my diabetes midwife every day and she doesn't seem concerned as there has been no changes to babies movement to indicate anything wrong placenta wise. I just feel like there has to be some reason for this sudden drop in my levels and am starting to worry!