Planning pregnancy and hb1ac

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all looking for some information I was diagnosed a few months ago whilst trying for baby no 2, mu hb1ac was 11% just been re tested and I'm now down to 7% wondering what everyone's were when they were trying to conceive ? Any other advice on what I should be doing would be much appreciated thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

Mine was 6.6% but they told me they were happy with 7.0% or below! Keep in close contact with your dsn! I saw mine once every two weeks while preparing/ttc. It's good to notify them as they will give u lots of advice and support (hopefully) they told me when they were happy with my hba1c and when they and gave me the go ahead x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Jen92' Mine was as 5.3. I was told similar to @Sarahkylie88 - 6.5 or below ideally but under 7 would be ok.

Other things to do? Yes, take the special high dose folic acid every day. It needs to be prescribed. It reduces the chance of neural tube defects.

I'd also get into the habit of testing lots and keeping control tight. It'll then be second nature when you do,conceive.

Then just the usual eat well, sleep well, and relax.

Good luck :)

jade88

Hi Jen92 same as sarahkylie88 I was given the go ahead at 7 - although I know some DSN's differ in what they advise good luck sounds like your doing brilliantly! xx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your replies very helpful I will see my doctor for some folic acid and keep trying to get my sugars lower never go about 8 just now but I want to get as tight as possible thank you all