1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Plant based diets

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by dbr10, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

I would suspect that the meat / dairy diet will include more saturated fats, and these take longer to metabolise. I note that this effect has a name - The Pizza Effect, and it is a problem for Insulin users on MDI or pumps who find difficulty in getting a good bolus dose, Anecdotally I am told that they need to sometimes split the dose,. So the fat tends to delay things, and personally I do see sometimes that my 4hr PP reading is up from the 2hr PP reading which is unexpected.

The other thing that I have seen reported (again attributed to insulin users) is that they need to adjust their bolus to allow for protein. There is a body process called neoglucogenesis where the body converts protein into blood glucose if sugar levels are lower than it wants them to be. This is a slow and inefficient process, and again occurs later than expected. It seems pizza is a perfect storm.

• Like Like x 1
  2. first14808

first14808 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Also curious if there's a vegan pizza effect. Figure on pizza basically being a large slab of carbs + toppings. Decent dough needs some form of fat, and if butter or lard is out, some other oil may be substituted, plus any that may be added to toppings. Then zip through a hot pizza oven that probably alters the structure due to the heat. But generally something that'd be tricky to make 'healthy'.

There does seem to be an upsurge in vegan promotion. Some seems to be based on the idea that going vegan will save the planet because cows fart, and vegans don't. Lobbying groups have been floating the idea of making a meat sin tax. Those seem to have come back into fashion since flogging papal indulgences got stopped. It's not a sustainable proposal though given the amount of land that would be needed for everyone to go vegan, especially if processing, transportation and waste gets included.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Tannith

Tannith · Well-Known Member

I used not to care one way or the other about vegans until I read that a vegan woman got the editor of Waitrose magazine forced to resign from his job because he made a joke, admittedly in poor taste about vegans. The poor man had a family to support. How cruel was that? Quite disproportionate to what he did. Obviously vegans don't mind being vicious to human animals. Now read this to hear about how the other vegans then threatened to kill the poor man's baby!!! What do YOU think of them now? https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...tor-william-sitwell-threat-baby-a8651821.html

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

I think PETA followers are similar.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

[QUOTENow read this to hear about how the other vegans then threatened to kill the poor man's baby!!! What do YOU think of them now? https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...tor-william-sitwell-threat-baby-a8651821.html[/QUOTE]

Personally I think anyone who behaves in such extreme ways is a self indulgent, somewhat deranged w*****, and thankfully such people only form a tiny minority within whatever community they claim to belong to - every community, particularly those based around belief systems, have their share of nutters

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Safi

Safi Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Even as a vegetarian I loathed PETA. Cheap shots, grubby tactics, tasteless advertising & frequent outright dishonesty aren't all that ethical. To be fair they are only calling for the ethical treatment of animals so people be damned I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook