Please be supportive to others

Max68

I'm pretty new here but whatever the rights/wrongs, if only's/what if's, do's/don'ts - the list goes on - of any medical condition, at the end of the day we are all human. I'm always up for a good debate and will also gladly take a kicking for blindly walking down the T2 line when I could in reality and in hindsight I could have been a bit more sensible. Could I have avoided it? Yeah possibly, but we will never know. Playing football twice a weekend, plus training for twenty five years but always had the same waist size was annoying but the poor diet probably didn't help. Am I annoyed with myself, yes, but beating myself up certainly won't help as beating others up won't.

It's unprecedented times and if there is any time for people to be supportive of each other it is now. Nature is giving mankind a good kicking so we need to stay together, support each other and try and get through to the other side.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread seems a tad confusing. Maybe it doesn't make sense because of the deleted posts.

Hi,

I happened to be about last night....

It would be inapropriate of me to comment on what I saw before deleted.
But needles to say, it demostrated a misconception of other types beyond embarrassment to my own type.

Certainly no representation of my views & indeed understanding as a T1 on the diverse forms of Diabetes.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ladies and gents - everyone has been allowed to have their say here, but please do the thread starter the courtesy of complying with her wishes, on her thread at the very, very least.

There is a lot of worry, anxiety and plain old fear in evidence everywhere at the moment, and that will take it's toll on people. However, for a group with the single aim of living well with our diabetes and distancing ourselves, in whatever way we can, from this latest threat to our wellbeing, it is disappointing to see ourselves turning on others.

Nobody wants to be living with the prospect of COVID around them, but every one of us is, so let's not bring any more worry and stress upon ourselves.

If there is a poster you particularly disagree, or really can't get along with, please use the Ignore functionality.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand @Jim Lahey

I can assure you that the comments that required moderation have been removed from view.
Can we please lay the matter to rest now?
Continuing to speculate on the subject just gives it further air time, and as mentioned by @DCUKMod, focusing on division is not beneficial to any of us, especially at the moment.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that a type 1 Freudian slip? What a difference one 's' can make :cool:

Waiting to be corrected by someone telling me that type 1 don't use needles, or something :angelic:

Jim, :oops:

Merely making my "point.." :D;)

I feel regarding COVID 19. All one can do is look at the evidence based on the stats & view the science of how this virus works.
Then weigh up the up the level of risk regarding your own condition. Including any other existing conditions which may complicate matters. What also needs to be taken into account is cohabited or dependant people regarding thier condition?

But after taking in the aforementioned, personally I like to also note the positives regarding my own circumstances in order to keep a balanced view in my head.

We are where we are.. I quite agree, being nice is free! :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Whatever type we are we’re all human and most of us would be lying if we didn’t own up to some fear about the effects of Covid19. The prospect of a potentially very nasty illness coupled with the added horror of its effects on high blood sugars gives us all, from 1 to infinity, more than a little concern. So hugs to all of us on the forum. I sincerely hope all the international research teams who are sharing their research on Covid19 enable us to benefit from a better defence than we have now. By that I mean all of us, not just those with Diabetes but everyone.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 and type 2 are almost the same. The difference is that in type 1 diabetics, the pancreas does not work at all.
Type 2 diabetics pancreas works sometimes but not all the time, hence making them a Diabetic.
It is not a competition who is worse or better.
Both type 1 and type 2 have a low immune system.
C'mon guys, there is a health crisis going on.

Edited by moderator for clarity

Hello,

You apear to be including me in you address, regarding one of the quotes in your message?

Please take time to review the topic again. Particularly my post entry #12.?

Kind regards. :)

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
I was recently told by a consultant recently that they are two completely different conditions and to stop confusing the two, He never mentioned anything about one type being anyone’s fault

Reactions: Robinredbreast

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"I don't think either type necessarily have a weak immune system just by being diabetic."

But more often than not we do.

"People with diabetes are more susceptible to developing infections, as high blood sugar levels can weaken the patient's immune system defenses. In addition, some diabetes-related health issues, such as nerve damage and reduced blood flow to the extremities, increase the body's vulnerability to infection."

"People with diabetes are more adversely affected when they get an infection than someone without the disease, because you have weakened immune defenses in diabetes. Studies have shown that even those who have minimally elevated blood sugar levels experience worse outcomes with infections. Hospitalized patients who have diabetes do not necessarily have a higher mortality rate due to infections, but they do face longer hospitalization and recovery times."

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-are-the-common-infections-with-diabetes-1087622