Please comment

jessica16

Hi I'm 16 and have recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes September this year, at first when I went in hospital I was in shock that I was diagnosed with this, I was totally confused about it all and still am a bit. It's been nearly 4 months now and my emotions are all over the place, I'm so unhappy and fed up, all I ever seem to do is cry or get anger over nothing at all. I feel embarrassed and really useless every day. I'm always spending time with my boyfriend and all I ever do is have a go at him for no reason at all. This is the first time I've wrote anything on the forum so hopefully someone could please message me back or leave a comment? I'd appreciate it. I'd really like someone to speak to that is going through the same thing or who has been, thank you.

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Please comment

you are feeling raw, but you have come to a good place for support, there are lots of young people who will advise you and help you on this site, i am old and type 2 but have found help here too .best wishes :wave:

jessica16

2christine said:
you are feeling raw, but you have come to a good place for support, there are lots of young people who will advise you and help you on this site, i am old and type 2 but have found help here too .best wishes :wave:
Thank you for you comment, it feel good to know that I've come to the right place and that people can help me

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I went thru the same sort of thoughts as you.. I cried myself to sleep every night for 6 weeks, wondering why the heck I got D and not my brithers etc. i was 20 and married and a management job. It was hard in those days, as it is now.. Except blood meters were just coming out and cost £100 and size of a shoe box (well, not quite).

How are you getting on with normal day to day living with parents and / or friends? What do they say to you? Do you find injecting and eating ok?

You will find it easier gradually, but it is a lot to cope with.. Your friends will not know what to do or say and to be honest... Your parents will try really hard to make things better for you (guilt that their genes were faulty??) - they will genuinely be desperate to help and assist you, but they may well do and say the wrong things... But it will be inintentional.

It took me nigh on 30 years to tell my mum that she irritated the hell out of me by getting rid of foods she thought were bad for me (whilst I wS in hospital). Parents want to protect you and do everything by what the medical people say to do... But you will find that you will live your life how you want to, not parents or medical people.

The only thing I would add is.. No matter what you do, always test your blood regularly and inject..you can still have a great, fantastic life-and in fact you will if you choose to be a lot healthier than your friends and family as you will slways be monitored. I am the same size as when I was 15-and I am now 50. There's not many women my age that can say that.. And thats because I have always looked after my health, eating and drinking everything in moderstionand still living life... You can too...

jessica16

donnellysdogs said:
I went thru the same sort of thoughts as you.. I cried myself to sleep every night for 6 weeks, wondering why the heck I got D and not my brithers etc. i was 20 and married and a management job. It was hard in those days, as it is now.. Except blood meters were just coming out and cost £100 and size of a shoe box (well, not quite).

How are you getting on with normal day to day living with parents and / or friends? What do they say to you? Do you find injecting and eating ok?

You will find it easier gradually, but it is a lot to cope with.. Your friends will not know what to do or say and to be honest... Your parents will try really hard to make things better for you (guilt that their genes were faulty??) - they will genuinely be desperate to help and assist you, but they may well do and say the wrong things... But it will be inintentional.

It took me nigh on 30 years to tell my mum that she irritated the hell out of me by getting rid of foods she thought were bad for me (whilst I wS in hospital). Parents want to protect you and do everything by what the medical people say to do... But you will find that you will live your life how you want to, not parents or medical people.

The only thing I would add is.. No matter what you do, always test your blood regularly and inject..you can still have a great, fantastic life-and in fact you will if you choose to be a lot healthier than your friends and family as you will slways be monitored. I am the same size as when I was 15-and I am now 50. There's not many women my age that can say that.. And thats because I have always looked after my health, eating and drinking everything in moderstionand still living life... You can too...

Hi, thank you for your comment. I find day to day living ok but mostly difficult. My mum is great bless her, she does her best to make me feel better but she does fuss over me a lot and it does get annoying but then I think to myself she's only doing it because she cares! Any mum would be the same. And that's great, I do eat like I use to before I was diagnosed, I really do need to start eating more healthfully and not snack, and hopefully I can achieve what you have, that would be great. Thank you:)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Does get easier, learn what you can and probably the most important thing in early days is to test regular and record results. That way you can spot patterns and learn. Get on a carb counting course asap, discuss with your dsn. Learn to control your diabtes and by doing that things will seem brighter. Sounds like you got good support, thats half the battle, my wifes been amazing.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jessica16

brett said:
Does get easier, learn what you can and probably the most important thing in early days is to test regular and record results. That way you can spot patterns and learn. Get on a carb counting course asap, discuss with your dsn. Learn to control your diabtes and by doing that things will seem brighter. Sounds like you got good support, thats half the battle, my wifes been amazing.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hi, yes I think I will start keeping records of blood test etc. and hopefully things will start looking up:) thank you for your comment