1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!!

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by BigRedSwitch, Sep 5, 2015.

1. BigRedSwitch

BigRedSwitch Type 1 · Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1441470419.505057.jpg

I just saw this in the IDDT Magazine.

We all get insulin, needles etc on the NHS. Given the fact we all pay tax, that's fair enough. Please DO NOT claim for things that you can sort out with food. An alternative to basically taking advantage of the NHS in this manner is buying jelly babies or 'full fat' coke.

Taking advantage of situations like this will make things worse for us in the long run. The NHS is already overstretched, and the Tory government is looking to get rid of it altogether - don't help them by being cheap-skates - you do not need to get this stuff on the NHS. Doing so is just being utterly selfish.

I actually cannot believe that the magazine was dumb enough to post this.

Please use your heads!!

Thanks. :)

• Like Like x 18
  2. Natalie1974

Natalie1974 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Completely agree...but why have they made them available on the NHS??

• Like Like x 2
  3. BigRedSwitch

BigRedSwitch Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have no idea. There was something else similar where Boots were offering all kinds of stuff for new Mums on the NHS (like baby wipes and calpol and the like) - I have two kids, and we paid for all of that because it's just taking a lend of something which shouldn't be abused!

Abuse it and lose it! :(

• Like Like x 4
  4. Natalie1974

Natalie1974 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

They're their own worst enemy...considering the pressure the NHS is already under you can't help thinking that they do it to themselves. I spent some time working in accounts at an NHS hospital and was utterly stunned at the amount of money spent on really stupid things.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This really has the look of paid product placement aka "advertorial". What is IDDT Magazine anyway?

• Like Like x 4
  6. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

I agree.

7. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There you go http://iddt.org/

8. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I agree but prefer glucose tablets anyway as they are much neater to carry around.

9. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe because for people that have extreme difficulty controlling thier hypo's, putting one of these in thier pocket costs £1.59 versus the average cost of an ambulance call out at £247 ? (2012/13 cost)

• Like Like x 3
  10. ann34+

ann34+ Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Agree, hopefully, prescribing would depend on a GP assessment - it might turn out to save money in the long run in certain other cases - eg. for very young children it may prevent problems by being easier, and more agreeable, than fiddling about with opening and eating the cheaper glucose tabs, and sweets take a bit more time to have an effect than glucose, maybe also useful for the disabled, for the frail or arthritic elderly......etc.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ButtterflyLady

ButtterflyLady Type 2 · Well-Known Member

And yet some GPs will not give out ketone testing meters or strips and the strips cost only 1 pound!

It's crazy what the NHS will fund and not fund. Similar issues here in NZ.

• Like Like x 4
  12. TooMuchGlucose

TooMuchGlucose Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I agree, England really suffers from what has been referred to as the postcode lottery having lived in two different places the quality of care I've received has been drastically different.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook