Please educate me on fats!

MoorT2

@MoorT2 I bet you wished you had never asked!

Ha,

This thread as been very informative.

Not only have I learnt that the Beatles also did a song called Money (who knew) I've picked up a better understanding about fats and really that when low calorie / high fat is referenced it's just really in proportion to how your daily calorie goal is made up between protein, carbs and fat - well for most at least, not @Jim Lahey who seems to indulge in the odd pint of liquid goose fat at the weekend.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ha,

This thread as been very informative.

Not only have I learnt that the Beatles also did a song called Money (who knew) I've picked up a better understanding about fats and really that when low calorie / high fat is referenced it's just really in proportion to how your daily calorie goal is made up between protein, carbs and fat - well for most at least, not @Jim Lahey who seems to indulge in the odd pint of liquid goose fat at the weekend.
I was told that goose fat should be applied to the pate to encourage hair restoration.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
high fat is referenced it's just really in proportion to how your daily calorie goal is made up between protein, carbs and fat -
The H in fats is often best thought of as Healthy fats rather than High. This then covers both the type and quantity and can be adjusted to suit each individuals needs.
Healthy fats are naturally occurring such as butter and lard and olive oil, unhealthy are the processed and chemically changed such as most oils

Sorry if this a bit serious but I wanted to say it earlier but didn't want to involved in the to and froing

Reactions: Antje77

MoorT2

The H in fats is often best thought of as Healthy fats rather than High. This then covers both the type and quantity and can be adjusted to suit each individuals needs.
Healthy fats are naturally occurring such as butter and lard and olive oil, unhealthy are the processed and chemically changed such as most oils

Sorry if this a bit serious but I wanted to say it earlier but didn't want to involved in the to and froing

Ah, brilliant - that clears up a mis-understanding I had and makes a lot more sense!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with you here, there is a lot unscientific jumbo mumbo being spuiked at times in most of these type threads. A simple answer is all that is needs such as your post it's clear and concise.

Some of them are nearly of Icelandic epic proportions with all the charts and stuff.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Getting back to the OP. One point I make is that if it spreads straight from the fridge, then its not butter,

Dark Horse

Your links to Seth Yoder show that he is a journalist, and has very little science basis in his critique. I would say he is also anti-science.
Why do you think that? he has a bachelor of science in Food Science (and a master's degree) and describes himself as passionate about food chemistry, food safety and human nutrition. https://sethyoder.com/

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why do you think that? he has a bachelor of science in Food Science (and a master's degree) and describes himself as passionate about food chemistry, food safety and human nutrition. https://sethyoder.com/
I stand corrected. His writing style is quite un scientific and colloquial especially for a critique of a book that was actually very weakly put. I saw no science being used in that critique. That is why I made my comment.

Having said that, the book he is critiquing is actually backed up by some serious science, which even I as an omnivore, need to consider for my own journey. So to bring out such a pathetic critique shows a bias against the author rather than an attempt to discuss the validity of the claims being made.

Last edited:

Dark Horse

I stand corrected. His writing style is quite un scientific and colloquial especially for a critique of a book that was actually very weakly put. I saw no science being used in that critique. That is why I made my comment.
Granted, a lot of the points he made were regarding plagiarism but he was also making valid points about how scientific papers were interpreted and represented. It's a book review rather than a scientific paper so the writing style did not seem inappropriate.

Beating-My-Betes

Granted, a lot of the points he made were regarding plagiarism but he was also making valid points about how scientific papers were interpreted and represented. It's a book review rather than a scientific paper so the writing style did not seem inappropriate.

It's a shame that the plagiarism stuff wasn't separated into its own piece. Not that it isn't interesting. I wonder what went on in the background, there ;)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just started making my way through this extreme deep-dive. Thought I'd share:

https://www.mynutritionscience.com/ldldenialists/
Looked at the first point made. That of the 4 studies that selected the cohorts. The paper under discussion in Section 4.1 makes reference to a study of 123 sudden death persons. I have seen this paper before. In the trial the researchers had access to medical records showing historic data on previous occasions where the subject was still alive. So to say that LDL-c deteriorates after death is true, but immaterial to the conclusions drawn. they had the life histories and plotted them out apparently A similar problem was seen when a study done on CVD deaths and LDL-c was shown to be inverse associaed, and again, they used historic admissions data and life event blood tests.