Please sir can I have some more?

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
After losing 2 stone in a couple of months I am struggling to lose any more. I always have porridge for my breakfast as it's the only meal that I really enjoy. I used to have it with some sweetener and some honey but I have stopped the honey. It's strange because I don't have a particularly sweet tooth ( I made a sugar free jelly but it was unbearably sweet ) but I do like my porridge sweet. I would have my porridge around 10 am and not eat again until dinner at 6pm. I belatedly decided to weigh out my porridge and 25 grams barely half filled a small ramekin. I was having half a small mug of jumbo oats with half milk and half water. I think I must have been having around 70 grams of oats. The 25 grams of oats with full fat milk is a teeny, tiny amount in the bottom of a small bowl. I feel like Oliver Twist ..I just want some more

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @deb1960 I used to do 40 grams of oats in my low GI phase, and gave this up for a bowl of raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, 7 different types of nuts and full fat Greek yogurt (2 scoops). So you could get sweet, crunch and smooth in one.

If you were to try this a compromise might be to say sprinkle 15 grams of dry oats on the yogurt, to help a transition.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Oats now spike me like you wouldn't believe...

Peterseaford

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not sure if this is helpful or not so I will whisper- the wife and I visited Scotland and in Perth at a beaut little pub I was quite happy having Hagis for breakfast but another tourist asked why I was not having porridge - so thought I would check and the porridge was served with Haig whiskey so I was converted but it is not on my LCHF way of eating unfortunately but as you eat porridge it might be worth a try - far nicer than milk or so I found

Have a beaut day. Peter