POLL: Have you tried the Freestyle Libre yet?

Have you tried the Freestyle Libre?

• Total voters
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do have the Freestyle Libre, I had one since the 24th of June. It's not CGM. It's NFC. I do not know if any of you has tried it yet.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

No. I haven't tried it yet....

Maybe you could write a review from your own day to day experience as a user for people like me? Interested, but would like informed trial testimonials from real diabetics..

robhey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been using one for several months and I find it fantastic. Its so much easier to test without finger pricking which I did find quite painful. It allows me to quickly check my glucose levels wherever I happen to be without any one else knowing that I'm testing. It has changed the way I manage my type 2 making it so much easier to spot a trend. With finger pricking you only get an immediate check on what your glucose is, with the Libre it gives a graph of the trend (is my glucose dropping or rising) and tells me how fast its changing. I think everyone with diabetes should have one as I am convinced that in the long term it will stop diabetics from having to be admitted to hospital A/E and make day to day management easier.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've gathered quite a lot of information about the Libre from the forum.
More positivity than negativity from what I've read.
Only issue I could foresee personally is keeping the sensor in place.
Work and life in general is very physical.
Until sensors adhere better I'll be finger pricking.
Apart from that I'd have one tomorrow.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only downside is the cost. That said I find it great value for money. My HbA1c is down to half from over 100 to less than 50. My insulin usage has also halved. I exercise more and can take much fewer carbs without concerns about hypos. The Abbott Freestyle Libre Facebook group will give you many commendations.
As to the adhesive- I find Tegaderm patch very useful over the top of the sensor but with a small paper disk over the sensor top. That allows you to change the Tegaderm if necessary without pulling at the sensor. I swim and can be very active without the sensor coming off.

Reactions: novorapidboi26

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've gathered quite a lot of information about the Libre from the forum.
More positivity than negativity from what I've read.
Only issue I could foresee personally is keeping the sensor in place.
Work and life in general is very physical.
Until sensors adhere better I'll be finger pricking.
Apart from that I'd have one tomorrow.

I used to occasionally knock mine off, or find it sisn't stick well if I was hot, but now I use tape to keep mine in place and haven't had any problems since. This is the one I use but I've read of people using alternatives, it looks expensive but remember you only use a small piece every 2 weeks and it's much cheaper than a lost sensor
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...1_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E2D54SNYBVBQ4F3S8QR5

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Jaylee I've written a fair few comments about the beast. It moved me from finger pricking to hybrid closed loop and was my entry point. So I reckon it can't be all that bad... http://www.diabettech.com/Libre/

I think everyone with diabetes should have one as I am convinced that in the long term it will stop diabetics from having to be admitted to hospital A/E and make day to day management easier.
I'm not convinced that this is the case regarding reducing hospital admissions, as without alarming, there's no way of knowing you are going low unless you scan as though you were finger pricking. It may help with longer term management with a very engaged HCP, but for a very large number of users, it will sit in the drawer like finger prickers are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaylee

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yes, tried. Using. Paying. Waiting for a 3 month funded CGM. Will then be able to make another comparison...used the freestyle navigator CGM previously and it was useless and I don't think it's marketed now (thankfully). The Libre is very good for me.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @BeccyB . Thanks for the information, good thing about the forum is someone always has good advice or a useful tip.
May write that letter to Santa and see what happens.:):):)

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes I'm on my 3rd sensor. It's an issue for me getting my hands on them being from Ireland but I do like having it. Find the first day to be inaccurate but not as bad as time goes on

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes I'm on my 3rd sensor. It's an issue for me getting my hands on them being from Ireland but I do like having it. Find the first day to be inaccurate but not as bad as time goes on

Put your new sensor in the day before (24 hrs ahead) of removing the old one. The reader will read your old one until you remove it. Then just start scanning new one and yes you have to wait the 60 mins but it will be accurate and the 14day timer, although put in 24 hr early doesn'tstart counting down until you gave activated that sensor.

Only good if you have a constant supply though.

mottigat

I have triedthe LIbre. Though theoretically it should be like a miracle, actually, Each sensor I have used, could not keep on my hand more than 2 days. Just fell down.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have triedthe LIbre. Though theoretically it should be like a miracle, actually, Each sensor I have used, could not keep on my hand more than 2 days. Just fell down.

If you are trying to wear on your hand ... well no wonder it falls off...

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Put your new sensor in the day before (24 hrs ahead) of removing the old one. The reader will read your old one until you remove it. Then just start scanning new one and yes you have to wait the 60 mins but it will be accurate and the 14day timer, although put in 24 hr early doesn'tstart counting down until you gave activated that sensor.

Only good if you have a constant supply though.

I don't have a constant supply because Abbott don't supply Ireland with it yet so it's hard to get my hands on them but I did put the sensor on 24 hours before activating and still found the first day to be inaccurate!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really like it but (a) the high cost prevents me using one all the time, and (b) I also find that mine read consistently lower than my finger prick tests (and HbA1c results) and I prefer to know what my actual levels are; But the patterns I get are both consistent and very similar for pricks and Libre checks - just at the different levels.

Robbity

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I'm on my second sensor and I have to say I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! :) It's £100 per month but it is SO worth it. I don't use it full time as I just can't afford it but it's so good to give my poor fingers a break from blood testing 8-10 times per day. Plus I can check it whenever I like without any pain and it shows the trends, where my blood sugars are headed which is REALLY helpful!! :)