Poor GP support?

Maradona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if this is usual?
I was diagnosed in July and take 1500mg of metformin. I expected my GP to call me back for a review but this hasn't happened so I went to the walk in blood clinic last week.
I have just phoned and was told my results were normal. After pushing I was informed my Hba1c is 5.6%.
Thats odd because thats a non diabetic figure?
I was informed I can't see my doctor until jan 20th.
Is this the usual diebetic support I should expect? I'm really confused now! Am I diebetic?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gaining good control of your blood sugars doesn't mean you aren't diabetic......for example if you came off the meds would you still achieve the 5.4....

usually its once every 12 months as a minimum, but I would have expected a more regular review in the beginning....

well done though....you're doing great....

Reactions: dbr10

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have you had all your annual checks eyes, feet, bloods, blood pressure, ect. if not get back on the phone and kick up a fuss.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
May I ask what HbA1c result did you get on diagnosis and if you have actually been doing anything to lower that result?
Once you have been diagnosed as having Diabetes you are Diabetic for life even if you do not take any medication for it.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in July and take 1500mg of metformin. I expected my GP to call me back for a review but this hasn't happened so I went to the walk in blood clinic last week.
I have just phoned and was told my results were normal. After pushing I was informed my Hba1c is 5.6%.
Is this the usual diebetic support I should expect? I'm really confused now! Am I diebetic?
Too many of us have experience poor support from HCPs.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
At least you can go to a walk in clinic!

I have never seen a gp about my t2d. And have had virtually no support. Everything I know and have done I have managed because of this site and the forum members.

As already stated, you are still diabetic. Did you have two tests before diagnosis? We are supposed to have two blood tests. I didnt, but I didnt know that until I had already started metformin, was reading this site and thought I would do better without the surgery help anyway.

Make sure you get a retinopathy check, foot check, whatever bloods they will.do and bp. You are also entitled ( I think) to go on an education course. Although I was dx in june and have been told I might get one next year.

So yes, poor support is normal. But you can learn a great deal on here. Good luck.with it all.

Reactions: Prem51

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I too was diagnosed in July in my case my surgery called me back for blood tests in October and I was asked to make an appointment to see the nurse 2 weeks later so that we could review the results.

My results were also in the non diabetic range and in fact all of my tests came back within the normal range. I consider myself to still be diabetic and have remained on the surgeries diabetic register so that I can still have the monitoring blood tests in 6 months.

BTW congratulations on your much improved A1c result.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At least you can go to a walk in clinic!

I have never seen a gp about my t2d. And have had virtually no support. Everything I know and have done I have managed because of this site and the forum members.

As already stated, you are still diabetic. Did you have two tests before diagnosis? We are supposed to have two blood tests. I didnt, but I didnt know that until I had already started metformin, was reading this site and thought I would do better without the surgery help anyway.

Make sure you get a retinopathy check, foot check, whatever bloods they will.do and bp. You are also entitled ( I think) to go on an education course. Although I was dx in june and have been told I might get one next year.

So yes, poor support is normal. But you can learn a great deal on here. Good luck.with it all.

I moan about the support that I got but it was much much better than your experience. The only thing that hasn't happened is my foot exam. Everything else would have happened within 3 months of diagnosis. I didn't bother with the education course. Also I was given a glucose testing kit AND I have had been given another prescription for strips. Still can't get my results on line though and have to pay for print outs of results. When the snow goes I shall go and get them.

I agree about the support and advice on here. I wouldn't have coped if not for this forum and it's members.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it is best to be pro-active with the NHS. If you have questions you want to ask your GP then make an appointment.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it is best to be pro-active with the NHS. If you have questions you want to ask your GP then make an appointment.

Actually I did ask my gp questions and the answer was 'make an appointment to see the diabetic nurse and she will answer them'.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually I did ask my gp questions and the answer was 'make an appointment to see the diabetic nurse and she will answer them'.
I guess a nurse is better than a GP who doesn't know the answers. I only saw my GP until I was pronounced "well controlled". I assume he would get involved if there was a change but maybe not.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Initially reviews are supposed to be 3 monthly, then when levels are good enough and medication is stable, every 6 months, and then every 12 months. Most GPs devolve all this to a nurse and take no further interest. There are so many T2 diabetics these days the GPs simply don't have time. The nurses have more up to date information on diabetes care and are generally the best people to see. Some GPs do take more responsibility.

If you feel you are not on the correct care pathway you need to make sure you get on it.

These are the 15 health care checks you should be having.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...s/what-are-the-15-healthcare-essentials/#hce1

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was told my initial result over the phone and told to go in for another blood test and make an appointment with the GP. She confirmed the diagnosis of T2. I said I wanted to control with diet and exercise so she told me to see the nurse in 3 months, and her another 3 months after that (subject to the nurse being happy with my progress).
I went on the DESMOND course and have had my eye test.
I made a 3 month appointment for a blood test, went last week for the test, asked about the urine test and was told I should have been sent a letter explaining about all the tests I should have! What letter? So the nurse phoned the admin staff to request the paperwork for the urine test (gets sent to the lab apparently), and the administrator said there was no need for me to have a blood test, urine test or see the DN as I am pre-diabetic and not diabetic! I really threw my toys out the pram and jumped up and down! I think I know what I am........

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2

That would be great. Except there are no appointments. I was told to.leave a 2 week history of my home bp recordings. I did this. Only to find that the gp had been off sick and the record had been lost and the locum didnt believe that home records were any good anyway.

Sometimes the nhs doesnt really care. And unfortunately,I say that as a ex nhs worker.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I guess a nurse is better than a GP who doesn't know the answers. I only saw my GP until I was pronounced "well controlled". I assume he would get involved if there was a change but maybe not.

It really must depend on the whim of the practice. My surgery does not see t2ds as a matter of course. We get a phone call, a blood form is left at reception and the follow up is via another phone call.

I have other health problems and have never seen a gp about any of them.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Initially reviews are supposed to be 3 monthly, then when levels are good enough and medication is stable, every 6 months, and then every 12 months. Most GPs devolve all this to a nurse and take no further interest. There are so many T2 diabetics these days the GPs simply don't have time. The nurses have more up to date information on diabetes care and are generally the best people to see. Some GPs do take more responsibility.

If you feel you are not on the correct care pathway you need to make sure you get on it.

These are the 15 health care checks you should be having.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...s/what-are-the-15-healthcare-essentials/#hce1

If not.for.this site I would not have known any of this. I wonder what happens to.those who do.not have access to the inter net? Do they just go blind?