Porcine / Animal Insulin in Pumps

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well... I'm all connected -- but on Novo for now... I did ask about whether I could start on Porcine -- but she said it really wasn't advisable due to crystallization (I do know this isn't what people actually experience) and that it would reduce the pumps flexibility and adaptability... I really wasn't going to push things as she is a) really lovely and b) was about to start me up; I wanted no reasons to stop that happening!

-- I did consider coming home and putting porcine in, but as it would be total guess work on my part as to what to program it to deliver, I'm simply not brave / comfortable enough to risk that until I know what I'm doing... Starting on Novo means lots of support from my DSN (she'll call me everyday this week, look at my data via care link, tweak basals with me etc over the next few weeks... All of which I just wouldn't have the confidence to wing on my own with porcine)

So, I'm on novo for now -- and when I'm all set up and know my rates etc etc then I reassess... In other news; I'm LOVING Smartguard....!! :)
Hi, Artemis, what you have been told re crystallisation of porcine insulin in the pump is untrue. The neutral porcine insulin available in UK, at least, has a buffer to prevent this. A lot of the old insulins were buffered anyway - eg. pork velosulin. I used porcine for some months in a pump before there ever was any other insulin than beef available at all, there was no problem, i have used various porcine insulins for all but 7 years (these 7 years were very very unpleasant) of my nearly 36 years on insulin, and, since i have got a pump, i have used porcine at all times, in two different makes of pump. Neither pump manufacturer has ever even mentioned there was any problem using porcine in the pump, and i am not sure what you have been told about 'not licensed' is correct... I myself have never been aware of a 5 hr problem with the insulin, maybe because i use small amounts and small hourly rates i do not have this? in the early days all sorts studies were done on animal insulins, and the smaller the dose the quicker out of the blood stream, so, for me, the pump is perfect - a small amount is going in at all times so the total effect is very smooth. Only thing, as said above by others, is to have the base rate set 2 hrs ahead. It all depends what suits - maybe you will find your current Novo ok, hope all goes well. Ann

Reactions: 4 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thank you @ann34+ !

I'm using novo for now just to get settled... I will likely try switching to porcine once settled and feeling more confident with the pump... Thanks for the reassurances! :)

Reactions: 3 people