Pork Scratchings

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please kindly share your experience with eating pork scratchings.

Is it healthy?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only tried them once after reading all the recommendations on here. Maybe I had the wrong brand, but I feared for my teeth more than my general health. :arghh:

Reactions: hankjam

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very tasty and I use them as a meal replacement.
Either the awfully posh or mr porkies cracklings.
Why don't you try them and check your bloods instead of asking endless questions about them.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hardcore hog roast in a bag..

Fire up the meter. You maybe pleasantly surprised!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another vote for Mr Porky crackles. Good substitute for crisps.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, but where do you get them from? Just looked on line and can only see them at Waitrose, which we don't have here.
amazon sell them but you have to buy 24 bags.. interestingly the bags on amazon are 45g and the bags in Waitrose are 40g so for your 83p per bag on amazon you get more scratchings for less (they are 89p in Waitrose).
I feel an order coming on...

edit to add after reading reviews on amazon sound like these are in fact just 40g bags still not a bad price tho

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetit1802

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another vote for Mr Porky crackles. Good substitute for crisps.

Unless they are eaten like crisps, in the early days, when I was excited that I could scoff such things...can't eat them now and can just cope with them as a coating.

Can't eat macadamias now for the same reason and it's a bloody shame that bingeing in chocolate and crisps didn't have the same effect.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another vote (we must all be awfully posh crackling snobs :p) for the Awfully Posh ones. As far as I can remember these were recommended on the forum when I first joined.

I generally get mine in 40g packs of 12 from Amazon - I'd not seen the larger packs; or via Ocado when they're on offer - usually 20% off, so a bit cheaper than Amazon.

Robbity

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it healthy?

Not for the pig.

Definitely worth trying a variety. If I judged them by the first few times I tried, I'd say they were horrible, pointless things which make a lot of noise and break your teeth.

But you can also get ones which are made much lighter / more airy and have more the texture of 'maize snacks' or 'Quavers' etc. Tesco is a good place to go. I tried about 4 different types from there. I think my favourite one possibly wasn't even called pork scratching though it was basically the same stuff. It was a very big, white bag with see-through bits.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to make my own, Morrison’s still sell pig skin but as with everything about food I love, I overdid it so can’t eat them again.

The mess in the oven tho’ Yuck!