Porridge surge

lindipops

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I am trying to get in control of my glucose levels and am perplexed to find that porridge without sugar is causing a big increase in my reading. When I woke up my reading was 7.5, then I had a cup of green tea with lump of ginger thrown in. Hour later reading was 7.6. I then had porridge made with organic milk and a sprinkle of salt. 90 mins later my reading was 9.7! ....... I am baffled. I was so cheesed off with this that I then had a homemade chocolate muffin. My reading withing the 2 hour slot was 7.6!!!!!!
I am puzzled by these readings - it seems back to front. Can anyone throw any light on this? I have been happily eating porridge every morning think this was good for me and I can't understand why it isn't compared to chocolate muffin. Thanks. I am diabetic type 2.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had to give up the porridge too. It was just to many carbs for my system (even tho they're "good" carbs") The fat in the chocolate muffin has probably reduced the absorbtion rate of the carbs(including sugar) in the muffin so keeping your spike lower

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, I'm ok with porridge, not everyone is. If it tests bad with your meter, it's time to put it back on the shelf I'm afraid.

OVGreebs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read a few days ago on bloodsugar101.com that "you can expect to see higher blood sugars if you eat carbohydrates for breakfast than you will if you eat them later in the day" and state that "the reasons for this are not yet known, but may turn out to be a result of early morning changes in the liver caused by the dawn phenomenon hormones."
No idea if this is true, I've only just started testing my post meal reads but I went from a reading of 6.8 before a soya & linseed toast breakfast to 9.3 two hours after and then down to 5.8 before lunch. The next day I had no carbs in my breakfast and my three corresponding readings were 6.0, 6.4 and 6.2.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Porridge has just pushed my BG levels to 11 mmol (after 1 hour) gonna check in another hour.
I might have to skip on the porridge then...

UPDATE: phew... back down to 5.4 at 2 hour mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't know if this helps you but the oats so simple sachets don't give me a surge. Whereas ordinary porridge send me high. Maybe worth a try?

That is strange as you would expect that the instant porridge would be the worst culprit for bg spikes.

alliebee

That's exactly what I thought...very strange. But the plain flavour is fine with me...mind you the portions are quite small.....It just goes to show. Some things work for some people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's exactly what I thought...very strange. But the plain flavour is fine with me...mind you the portions are quite small.....It just goes to show. Some things work for some people

As we repeatedly say on the forum alliebee........................''we are all different''..........there's no one diet that suits all :)

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just started having porridge again in the last week and remembered reading this thread that alot of people were having issues with their readings afterwards.
I've found that porridge seems to have a positive impact on my readings so it just goes to show what noblehead mentioned above that we are all different.
Just wish I had the time to make it every morning as otherwise its the weetabix which I do need to take a bit more bolus for.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Porridge does have a glycaemic index in the lower range but it is also an easily digestible food. It's why gruel is often given to sick people. Quick cook rolled oats are the spikiest. If they do bother you and you still want some, get some pinhead or steel cut oats and cook them for 25 mins. The chewier the porridge, the less effect it will have on you. You can also try some homemade müsli. As an uncooked product, it is much kinder for diabetics.

Reactions: 3 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I don't know why porridge is ever suggested for diabetics; it is pure carbs. Whatever its GI it's going to turn to glucose over time.

I found when I ate it it had a very quick and very high spike; at +1 hours I would be in the teens and +2 back to single figures. That is not a desirable position at all for blood sugars and because the advice is not to test until +2 hours after food it would have been easy to miss.

Kind regards

Dillinger

Reactions: 4 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know why porridge is ever suggested for diabetics; it is pure carbs. Whatever its GI it's going to turn to glucose over time.

I found when I ate it it had a very quick and very high spike; at +1 hours I would be in the teens and +2 back to single figures. That is not a desirable position at all for blood sugars and because the advice is not to test until +2 hours after food it would have been easy to miss.

Kind regards

Dillinger

I'll maybe see what it does at the one hour and two hour mark the next time just to see what it is doing to me.

As you say maybe I am missing a spike somewhere.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've just started having porridge again in the last week and remembered reading this thread that alot of people were having issues with their readings afterwards.
I've found that porridge seems to have a positive impact on my readings so it just goes to show what noblehead mentioned above that we are all different.
Just wish I had the time to make it every morning as otherwise its the weetabix which I do need to take a bit more bolus for.

After Riri and Yorkman were talking about steel-cut oats a few weeks ago I changed over to them from my traditional Scotts Porridge Oats, I cook them the night before using just water then warm the porridge through the next morning adding milk, once it's hot I throw in some seeds and blueberries and add some natural yoghurt once it's in the bowl , Its absolutely delicious and the steel-cut oats have a nice nutty taste to it :)

I get my porridge oats from Holland & Barrett.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After Riri and Yorkman were talking about steel-cut oats a few weeks ago I changed over to them from my traditional Scotts Porridge Oats, I cook them the night before using just water then warm the porridge through the next morning adding milk, once it's hot I throw in some seeds and blueberries and add some natural yoghurt once it's in the bowl , Its absolutely delicious and the steel-cut oats have a nice nutty taste to it :)

I get my porridge oats from Holland & Barrett.

Sounds interesting, might have to try this out.

jojojojo2012

Strange I just stumbled on this thread as my son is 6 only diagnosed 3 weeks and today brought home from school a small square of what looked like flapjack. I had no idea of the carbs so he ate it with tea and I guesstimated.... He's now an hour later at 12.9! Guessing the oats and sugar combo are not good for him!and it was the thinnest smallest piece you can imagine!

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did some testing this morning to see what the porridge does to me.

Started off with 5.7, took my insulin about 15 minutes before eating and went for a walk to the newsagent.

An hour after finishing eating I was 10.0.

Just tested again, 2 hours after eating, and I am 7.3.

I have been stressing about a work meeting so might explain the earlier rise? Also possibly had a bit more milk on the porridge today so might have under-bolused. Also had a coffee between the 1 and 2 hour test.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did some testing this morning to see what the porridge does to me.

Started off with 5.7, took my insulin about 15 minutes before eating and went for a walk to the newsagent.

An hour after finishing eating I was 10.0.

Just tested again, 2 hours after eating, and I am 7.3.

I have been stressing about a work meeting so might explain the earlier rise? Also possibly had a bit more milk on the porridge today so might have under-bolused. Also had a coffee between the 1 and 2 hour test.

And 4.2 at the 3 hour mark. Was away to have some insulin for my mid morning snack of Rivitta and Peanut butter but think I'll give that a miss.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have 20g oats to 10g ground almonds. I make it with water and it has a creaminess to it. Cinnamon is nice to add. A friend recommended grated apple and cinnamon as a topping. It's delicious but I have to be careful with apple.