Porridge

mjames1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always have porridge for breakfast. I want to make my porridge sweet in the morning. I could use sugar, honey, jam or syrup. But I don't know if I should or not??

What would you recommend?

I exercise regularly and my hba1c is below 40.

I have type 2

Thanks

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always have porridge for breakfast. I want to make my porridge sweet in the morning. I could use sugar, honey, jam or syrup. But I don't know if I should or not??

I have type 2

Thanks
Hi, I personally couldn`t eat the porridge to begin with never mind sweetening it with any of those. The only way that you will know for sure though is to test before, 1hr and 2hrs after, eat to your meter.

Reactions: dbr10

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well... with an HbA1c of less than 40 you currently aren't even in the pre-diabetic range so...
Do you have a blood glucose meter? If so take your blood sugar level before breakfast and then 2 hours after breakfast with each of your suggested sweeteners and see which has the least impact on your blood glucose levels.
Personally I'd have bacon and eggs over porridge for breakfast every day (but I don't eat breakfast anyway).

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I personally couldn`t eat the porridge to begin with never mind sweetening it with any of those. The only way that you will know for sure though is to test before, 1hr and 2hrs after, eat to your meter.
Sends me sky high.

mjames1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well... with an HbA1c of less than 40 you currently aren't even in the pre-diabetic range so...
Do you have a blood glucose meter? If so take your blood sugar level before breakfast and then 2 hours after breakfast with each of your suggested sweeteners and see which has the least impact on your blood glucose levels.
Personally I'd have bacon and eggs over porridge for breakfast every day (but I don't eat breakfast anyway).

Thanks for the Help. Great advice

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
I can't eat it .. sweetened or not .. sends my blood sugar through the roof .. but that's OK 'cos I don't even like it. As others have said, though, test before and one hour then two hours after. Enjoy :happy::happy:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I have type 2

Thanks

You said on your other thread that you no longer test but do eat sweet sugary foods because your HbA1c is under 40 and you use a gym regularly. I simply suggest you start testing some of these carby foods. Your meter will tell you exactly what porridge does to your levels, with each of the additions you mention. Then you will know.

Reactions: dbr10

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have type 2

Thanks

Hi, I am also type 2 and have eaten porridge for breakfast for the last 4 years.
I add berries, sprinkle on some cinnamon and add a splash of regular milk.
This is sweet enough for me (and very tasty).
I have tested after porridge numerous times and it doesn't spike me.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I have porridge made with almond milk and cinnamon topped with chopped pecans. I find that the cinnamon makes it sweet enough. I usually only have it before I am about to go for a long walk though so that I use the glucose released ASAP.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have porridge made with almond milk and cinnamon topped with chopped pecans. I find that the cinnamon makes it sweet enough. I usually only have it before I am about to go for a long walk though so that I use the glucose released ASAP.
Sounds good. Not sure I'd try it though.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I start the day off with
porridge sweetened with stuff called half spoon.
Half sugar half stevia.
It's the last bit of obvious sugar that I use.
I also bung a spoonful of coconut oil in.
The porridge sorts out my cholesterol and blood pressure so no toxic tablets there.
Porridge should be classed as a super food as far as I'm concerned.
It's certainly a medicinal food for me.
I was warned I might not be able to tolerate it but stick with it for a week and see.
The spike got lower each day on meter.
It was still a little high the second week but by the third I was fine after two hours.

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I have porridge for breakfast on some days I add a teaspoon of cinnamon some dry ginger a pinch of himalayan salt a pinch of cayanne pepper also sometimes I add a few raisins or other berries or sliced dry banana, I also add two teaspoons of chia seeds and a shake of stevia powder or a spoon of honey I cook it in water not milk just 2 mins in the microwave and perfect for myself..

nippers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was not able to eat any cereals without spiking my blood sugar significantly back when I was overweight, but now that I have lost a huge amount of weight, I find that I can occasionally eat a bowl of rye cereal, certainly not every day r even every week, and I only sweeten it with stevia. Rye is much lower on the G.I. than wheat, barley, or oats. My favorite is cracked rye (very tasty and lots of fiber), but rolled rye (just like oatmeal but made out of rye instead) is quite tasty, too. Unfortunately, I can't currently find rolled rye, nor cracked rye in my local stores. I have to order it online.

I've found the same thing with bread. I can occasionally eat a slice of 100% whole rye bread, without significantly spiking my blood sugar. This the kind of bread that has no wheat at all in it, and no added sugar. It's a very dense, dark bread. I sometimes will eat it with fried eggs, to soak up the runny yolks. And I limit myself to one slice. I think its called "whole rye bread" and it is made in Germany, but I have been able to find it way over here in Oregon at various stores. Mestemacher or something like that, I think, is who makes it.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Noticed since I got the Libre that having 40g of porridge (25g carbs) and half a banana chopped in (15g carbs) absolutely rockets my bg levels over the first couple of hours, before dropping drastically back down to where I started.

Think I'll have to give something else a try, which is a shame as I'm a fan and it keeps me full until lunch

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Love porridge
When I have it I make it with chia seeds and whole milk.

Cinnamon on top with a few Brazil nuts plus 2x boiled egg on the side.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Noticed since I got the Libre that having 40g of porridge (25g carbs) and half a banana chopped in (15g carbs) absolutely rockets my bg levels over the first couple of hours, before dropping drastically back down to where I started.

Think I'll have to give something else a try, which is a shame as I'm a fan and it keeps me full until lunch
@JoeT1 . Have you tried pre bolusing with your porridge? Instead of the banana you could try adding peanut butter. The peanut butter may stop you going low after a few hours.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JoeT1 . Have you tried pre bolusing with your porridge? Instead of the banana you could try adding peanut butter. The peanut butter may stop you going low after a few hours.
Yeah, well I bolus 5-10 before hand. There's no problem going low, it's mostly back to the point I started before eating, just the spike between meals. I could try bolusing sooner, but I think I'll try different options.

Will have a go with the peanut butter, and also maybe add some walnuts chopped up to add some more crunch. If it works, great, less carbs too.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JoeT1 . Apologies I miss read/ understood what you said.
If you're confident pre bolusing then you could try extending the time some more.
It could well be the banana that's largely to blame for the spike in your sugars.
Hope you find a solution.