Porridge

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some rolled jumbo porridge oats today as I wanted to test my bg with porridge.

I made 1/2 cup porridge with 1 cup of water and a bit of salt then added a few blackberries and some cream when it was cooked.

Before my bg was 5.5

After 2 hours my bg was 6.0 - that's OK I thought. Then I decided to check at 2 1/2 hours just to see...7.2 (oops)

At 3 hours my bg was 6.2

I will halve the quantity and try again

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I bought some rolled jumbo porridge oats today as I wanted to test my bg with porridge.

I made 1/2 cup porridge with 1 cup of water and a bit of salt then added a few blackberries and some cream when it was cooked.

Before my bg was 5.5

After 2 hours my bg was 6.0 - that's OK I thought. Then I decided to check at 2 1/2 hours just to see...7.2 (oops)

At 3 hours my bg was 6.2

I will halve the quantity and try again

It's great to test and experiment, but try something else. Most grain products are very bad for BSLs.
In my experience any type of grain spike me quickly.
I stay away from them.
But what is interesting is the late spike, which has something to do with insulin resistance.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You may also want to try testing at 1 hour

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's great to test and experiment, but try something else. Most grain products are very bad for BSLs.
In my experience any type of grain spike me quickly.
I stay away from them.
But what is interesting is the late spike, which has something to do with insulin resistance.

Being prediabetic I wanted to see if I was able to eat it or not. I think I was being a bit too optimistic !
Does a late spike mean insulin resistance is good or bad?

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You may also want to try testing at 1 hour

I can't afford too many test strips at the moment so try to limit my usage. In this case would the bg at one hour have been lower than at two since it wasn't at its peak at two hours?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I can't afford too many test strips at the moment so try to limit my usage. In this case would the bg at one hour have been lower than at two since it wasn't at its peak at two hours?
There's no way of knowing without testing. There might have been a double peek with 1 hour being very high.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a pity oats are so carby, isn't it? Occasionally I have some pinhead oats, cooked the night before, with cream, it is too carbs really but I go out and do a bit of physical work for a bit to be on the safe side bg wise.

I find the pinhead oats so much easier on bg than the rolled variety.

I do get bored with bacon and eggs at times.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Being prediabetic I wanted to see if I was able to eat it or not. I think I was being a bit too optimistic !
Does a late spike mean insulin resistance is good or bad?

A late spike usually means that your pancreas is having a little difficulty producing enough insulin to cope with the high sugars (carbs) that you are eating and in your bloodstream hence being prediabetic.

I am the reverse, I produce too much! Same effect all in all!

So as few carbs and sugars!
Control is the key!

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to try again tomorrow with half the quantity as it was quite a big bowlful. Will let you know the results.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The late spike may well have been to do with the cream...

I find the best 'snapshot' of my personal insulin resistance is my fasting blood glucose reading. Ignoring stress spikes, if my average BG in the morning is consistently higher, or lower, that is my best gauge of insulin resistance.

Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The late spike may well have been to do with the cream...

I find the best 'snapshot' of my personal insulin resistance is my fasting blood glucose reading. Ignoring stress spikes, if my average BG in the morning is consistently higher, or lower, that is my best gauge of insulin resistance.
But you want either cream or milk with your porridge and I know what I choose! Milk is far worse.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Every third morning I have a tablespoon of whole grain oats (groats) soaked overnight in hot water in a thermos with a dessertspoon of chia seeds & half a teaspoon of cinnamon and reheated next morning with yoghurt, cream and berries. Sometimes my BS is slightly up afterwards and sometimes slightly down. I've decided oats are good for my digestive system so that's that.
*Edited for corrected quantities*

Last edited by a moderator:

Sooze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had porridge (made with water and a touch of sweetener ) twice since my fairly recent diagnosis and my BS after 2 hours were 22.5 on each occasion !! So no more oats which I love :( I am on 1500mg Metformin a day and this has really surprised me to get a reading like that.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I have had porridge (made with water and a touch of sweetener ) twice since my fairly recent diagnosis and my BS after 2 hours were 22.5 on each occasion !! So no more oats which I love :( I am on 1500mg Metformin a day and this has really surprised me to get a reading like that.
Hi sooze, im on metformin 2x 500 and from what i can gather lowers blood sugars a bit, the real way to lower your bs's is lchf,avioding wheat pasta rice and bread,and eat to your meter.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi Snooze, that is a really high figure. Are these the only carbs you are eating.

If I can ask, what do you normally eat through the day to be at level you have to be high to start I would imagine.

What were your number when you were diagnosed. your HbA1c

Whats your Fasting Like on a morning

I see you have decided to do the 'Low Carb High Fat' which most are following on here that should help?

Neil

Sooze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Neil and Clive, can't remember what DN said Hba1c was , but since I found out I had T2 I have been following LCHF , 1st morning readings now around 7.0 -7.5. On those 2 occasions I had the porridge it was either because I had no bacon/eggs in and on one occasion I just couldn't face them again ! I am assuming the high readings were either because I eat low carb usually or me and oats just don't agree ! Weight falling off nicely too so although I find LCHF a bit of a challenge sometimes it seems to be working :)

Reactions: 6 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Snooze, even a jump from 7.5 to 22.5 is large.

I just wonder whether although you maybe getting a large spike that some of it is a rogue reading maybe.

Maybe need to make sure very clean hands before testing or at least retest just to make sure. If you have a reading that high on 2 hours I would be testing again say 2 1/2 then 3hr to make sure it's dropping at that point.

Knowing what you figures where (HbA1c) will give you an idea where you started, co's if you started high then it may take a little time to come down over a period of time.

You mentioned the weight coming off, if you are overweight then this will contribute to those high figures. You will become more sensitive to the insulin as you lose the weight which will help to keep your numbers down.

Your really do not want to be in those ranges so eating to your meter will be the way to get them under control

You are allowed to ask for a print out of those numbers for your Cholesterol, HbA1c, kidney & Liver test, as usually these are the tests that are completed for the diagnosis. You could probably, like I did, just get them from your doctors reception you don't have to ask the nurse or Doctor.

I know the feeling having to have eggs and bacon, but you can have Omelette, scrambled eggs, with smoked salmon nice (very posh) Ham & eggs, Large meaty mushrooms. poached eggs all sorts of cold meats. I have yogurt (full fat Tesco's) berries, sprinkling of Granola, and some Flaxseed. when not having the bacon. I can manage 1 slice of Hovis Seed Sensations which sometimes have egg any which way.

Neil

Sooze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the great ideas Neil :) I have to go for another Hba1c (should have been last week but had to cancel ) so when I'm there I will ask for a print out. Most of my other readings 2 hrs post-meals are usually in the low 7's . Have lost about 1st 5lbs since diagnosis. Got another appointment at Diabetic clinic week after next so will be able to get that print-out too. Off to bed now thanks for the great advice ! Night !

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry @aqualung I got carried away trying to help the new member Snooze, my apologies for moving away from the topic of your thread.

Just to say My Wife has porridge made with skimmed milk every day, she's Non Diabetic. I never fancy it, and as most on here say it spikes them, I never wanted to really try, but if I did have it, I would have to do testing, certainly on the hour at first.

Neil