Porridge

Carolyn_Lesley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have eaten porridge every morning for 50 years and now I have found it gives me a huge spike an hour after ( up to 13) , usually gone back down to a more acceptable level at two hours ( in the 5's or6's, however I usually run for around 45 mins straight after so the days I have measured the spikes have been days I haven't run. Thoughts please? I miss porridge, and am craving something bland. My diabetic nurse said not to worry about the hour spikes but I do. I have just found a substitute which may do the job: 1/3 cup ground almonds mixed with an egg and 3 tablespoons water. I added frozen blueberries), microwaved for a minute, stirred, microwaved again for about 45 seconds then stirred in some thick cream, if anyone wants to try it.

Reactions: 6 people

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I love my porridge, but I note it slowly increases my bg over longer period. That combination sounds lovely....must try it

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you like cream you could try wholegrain oats (groats) soaked overnight in a thermos of hot water and mixed with berries, butter, coconut oil and anything else that takes your fancy (including the egg!). I add chia seeds, golden linseed and a sprinkle of sweetener (xylitol). And yoghurt, double cream and mixed nuts.
I have this twice a week and my theory is the oats are so demoralised by everything else they forget to spike me. Plus the fat smooths the rise over a longer time. Probably.
Yours is much safer however and I've saved your recipe to try, thanks :)

Reactions: 2 people