Porridge

gbtyke

OK all you Scottish Mods and other experts.

Done a search and there are over 500 hits on here for porridge - BUT

The GEM GI book shows porridge as very low GI and very low carb - 3 - BUT

when people discuss porridge I am sure that most mean the Quaker Oat stuff (I know I did when I tried it) which is High GI and very high carb 60+ per 100 grams.

So what is this low carb low GI stuff - where is it bought - how is it made and is it edible?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
This may be what you are looking for, Oatmeal Cereal. Only 2g carbs per serving.

Get it from the Low Carb Megastore.
Link here. http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/hot-bre ... l-original

Not all the Mods are Scot's. Some of us are trying to educate them. :D
They don't seem to be able to get up in the mornings either ?

Ken.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not Scottish and definitely no expert in cooking porridges but I did do some research in the gi tables a while ago.
All (normal )porridge has about the same carb amount. I wonder what actually is in the 'low carb' version.
There are two pages of them in the GI data base some slow cooked, some microwaved, some with milk and some with water. Its preprocessing also varies tremendously (steel cut, rolled, husked, large flake small flake etc. The Gi varies from 40-80.

I've copied a few examples from my previous post (unfortunately it doesn't appear that quaker oats has been tested under its name)

Instant oat cereal porridge prepared with water gi 83 gl 30
Hot oat cereal cocoa flavor prepared with 125 mL skim milk gi 40 gl 9
Porridge, jumbo oats (Sainsbury's, UK), consumed with 125 mL semi-skimmed milk gi 40
gl 9
Porridge, small oats (Sainsbury's, UK), consumed with 125 mL semi-skimmed milk gi 61 gl 14 (med)

Portion size matters a great deal.
The portion sizes in the two 'instant' examples were 30g each and contained 23 and 26 g carbs
The 2 Sainsbury's ones had 40g of oats and the carb count (including milk) was 22g

I eat 40g each morning, it doesn't look that much before cooking but its enough for me but I have noticed that other people have much more. Normally it works fine unless I'm very sedentary that morning. (but that would be the same for anything)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Here is the complete information as to low carb Oatmeal as on the low carb site.

INGREDIENTS : milk protein, rolled oats (22 %), oat bran, pea protein isolate, flavours, chicory extract, bran fiber, oat fiber, salt, sweetener : sucralose.

ALLERGENS : Milk, Soy and Gluten. Made on equipment on which are also processed : milk, egg, soy, gluten, celery.

Mixing directions :
1 – Empty one packet into 160 to 170 ml of boiling water (for micro-wave : empty one packet into a microwave safe dish and stir in 160 to 170 ml of cold water)
2 – Simmer for 2 minutes stirring occasionally (for micro-wave : cook at medium heat for 1 minute. Stir and continue cooking 30 seconds to 1 minute)
3 – Remove from heat and let stand 2 to 3 minutes
4 – Add non caloric sweetener to your taste and eat in a short period of time.

Hope that helps. I think I am going to try this myself. :D

Ken.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Cugila, I looked and looked (probably in th wrong place) and couldn't find the ingredients on your original link (for Proti oatmeal cereal) so I put them into google and came up with this. Same ingredients as cited but different product description http://www.thekeediet.co.uk/epages/...ps/thekeediet.co.uk/Products/"Breakfast WC03"

On my travels round the net I also found out a bit how 'proti oats are made'

The low-carb craze could have been catastrophic for Nuvex Ingredients, a company that had basically made its business creating carbohydrates. But it wasn’t.

“We were ready for it,” says Peter Malecha, president and CEO of Nuvex. “In fact, that craze really gave us an opportunity to show how good we are at developing and manufacturing different ingredients.”

Nuvex’s R&D department took the opportunity to develop many new products that for the most part displace carbohydrates with proteins. Two of the most successful are Net Zero Carb Crisp and Proti-Oats, a low-carb rolled-oats replacement. Nuvex is patenting both.
http://connectbiz.com/2005/03/nuvex-ingredients/

Personally, I'd prefer to go for less processed products, but I realise that for some people they offer a good alternative. Nevertheless they're a world away from traditional porridge.