Positive Dn Meeting

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i had my second DN meeting today. Surprisingly positive. After my gp refuse me testing strips because of my fingertips my DN gave me a new monitor and 100 strips per prescription. Along with footcream, another repeat and a recommendation of a prepaid certificate for 3 months prescription as I’m not on insulin or otherwise entitled to free prescriptions. I’m relatively mild on the T2 scale but showed a proactive approach. Also she doesn’t believe in the nhs eatwell model and advocates this site not the .org one. I went expecting a battle and got understanding, kindness and support including a low carb diet. She even preordered bloods covering all the things I asked for and any potential keto diet pitfalls eg potassium and magnesium. .

A very welcome open and progressive surprise. Restored a little of my somewhat jaded view of the medical institution of the U.K. (though I’ve had my money’s worth lately I feel much of which is down to ignoring early warnings and symptoms and a reactive rather than proactive attitude). I also found out two/three years of prediabetic results had been ignored by gp’s. Can I nominate her for a medal? (Not enough emojis on here)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant! You have a goodun there, don’t let her go!
Just a comment about magnesium and potassium deficits on low carb eating. When I first started it I kept getting terrible cramps in my feet and ankles at night. It was suggested on this forum that it might be magnesium or potassium deficiency. Indeed my blood tests two months after diagnosis showed low potassium, magnesium wasn’t tested. I bought some magnesium spray as it is better absorbed via the skin than tablets. I applied it every night til the bottle ran out. It worked very quickly on the cramps. I also started using pink Himalayan sea salt which as well as sodium contains potassium and magnesium, my low carb ‘porridge’ which I have for breakfast calls for a pinch of salt so I use the pink stuff in it and no more cramps :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s wonderful!
And refusing test strips because of finger tips is a new one :p
Makes you wonder if finger tips are much more valuable than toes to your GP, especially when the finger tips only get a bit sore, while toes tend to go missing in badly controlled diabetics. ..

Reactions: HarryBeau

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant! You have a goodun there, don’t let her go!
Just a comment about magnesium and potassium deficits on low carb eating. When I first started it I kept getting terrible cramps in my feet and ankles at night. It was suggested on this forum that it might be magnesium or potassium deficiency. Indeed my blood tests two months after diagnosis showed low potassium, magnesium wasn’t tested. I bought some magnesium spray as it is better absorbed via the skin than tablets. I applied it every night til the bottle ran out. It worked very quickly on the cramps. I also started using pink Himalayan sea salt which as well as sodium contains potassium and magnesium, my low carb ‘porridge’ which I have for breakfast calls for a pinch of salt so I use the pink stuff in it and no more cramps :)

Thanks for the tip. I’m getting some low level calf aches/cramps and wonder if it’s this. Can you tell me what spray/where it’s from? I’ve. Or seen that salt, again where do I find it?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: HSSS

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
a recommendation of a prepaid certificate for 3 months prescription

As a type II diabetic one used to be eligible to free prescriptions. Has that changed? Good news that your DN hasn't come out of the ark..

Will4318

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
As a type II diabetic one used to be eligible to free prescriptions. Has that changed? Good news that your DN hasn't come out of the ark..
I think you can only get free prescriptions if you are taking medication to control it, so you have to pay if it's diet controlled

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i had my second DN meeting today. Surprisingly positive. After my gp refuse me testing strips because of my fingertips my DN gave me a new monitor and 100 strips per prescription. Along with footcream, another repeat and a recommendation of a prepaid certificate for 3 months prescription as I’m not on insulin or otherwise entitled to free prescriptions. I’m relatively mild on the T2 scale but showed a proactive approach. Also she doesn’t believe in the nhs eatwell model and advocates this site not the .org one. I went expecting a battle and got understanding, kindness and support including a low carb diet. She even preordered bloods covering all the things I asked for and any potential keto diet pitfalls eg potassium and magnesium. .

A very welcome open and progressive surprise. Restored a little of my somewhat jaded view of the medical institution of the U.K. (though I’ve had my money’s worth lately I feel much of which is down to ignoring early warnings and symptoms and a reactive rather than proactive attitude). I also found out two/three years of prediabetic results had been ignored by gp’s. Can I nominate her for a medal? (Not enough emojis on here)
How lucky you are to have a DSN that understands & supports the needs of her T2 patients...I felt heartened to read your post but also somewhat disappointed since the approach we get often depends entirely on luck...that should be the approach of all HCP's...sadly it's not...well done.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How lucky you are to have a DSN that understands & supports the needs of her T2 patients...I felt heartened to read your post but also somewhat disappointed since the approach we get often depends entirely on luck...that should be the approach of all HCP's...sadly it's not...well done.

I’m not so sure she’s following local policy, she admits that she doesn’t follow nhs guidelines as she thinks LC works far better. Even a gp at the same practice declined a meter and recommended “a balanced diet” so they aren’t all on board with it there. Like all things in the nhs/medicine, there no consistency.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My DN is super but they are thin on the ground. If I want an appointment, I ask for her by name. Treasure her.

Reactions: HarryBeau

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
WOW don't let her go @HSSS you have one in a million there. My Gp an Dn are coming round to LCHF as the results that I have had in 3 months have shocked them. I'm 2lb off 4 stone weight loss in less than 3 months (still have 6 day to go so will be 4 stone!) doing LCHF. Blood glucose down from 16.6 to 4.7 average over 30 days. Halved Metformin and Gliclazide every day and now off one of my blood pressure meds. I'm waiting for my HbA1c levels to come through, was 82 so expecting a decent result.:happy:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My DN is super but they are thin on the ground. If I want an appointment, I ask for her by name. Treasure her.
I saw the DSN once at my surgery and that was sufficient...initially the practice did not have a DSN...she arrived seven months after my diagnosis... I had an appointment with her...the foot check was done...a few brief questions about how I controlled my diabetes...once |I mentioned my LCHF diet & testing she switched off...told me there was no need to test...she said I was obsessive for testing daily...I no longer see her for my reviews...my GP does them.

Reactions: Antje77

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bubbsie it's heartbreaking to think of the number of people who are at the mercy of these dinosaurs. At least if they can find this forum, they stand a chance.