Possible foot fracture, feet and fat

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I've got a small painful area on top of my left foot somewhere near where the 4th metatarsal meets the phalanges. The area around is mildly inflamed and mildly swollen. Dr. Google suggests that this is probably a stress fracture of the metatarsal.
Noticed the problem last Tuesday, saw the practice nurse on Wednesday, I've been resting the foot as much as possible but it doesn't seem to be improving much. I will book an appointment this coming week for further investigation.
If the Internet diagnosis is correct it can take 6-12 weeks to heal and the foot should be used as little as possible, perhaps even immobilised.
The cause can be too much exercise and I did walk more frequently than usual but walking is my main form of exercise. My shoes were well fitting and supportive (although I may have laced them a bit too tight).
Stress fracture can also be a sign of osteoporosis.
Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

On the subject of fat, since I lost a couple of stone in weight my hand, feet and legs have all been very skinny. I read that one reason for increasing foot pain is the loss of the fatty padding in the foot which acts as a cushion. This would tie in with my feet and knees being more sensitive to variations in exercise. It goes directly against the common advice to lose weight if you have foot problems. It would be nice to be able to shift some fat from my belly to my feet, although jumping up and down may not achieve this and may also make my feet worse.:rolleyes:

I seem to be doing nearly all the right things to prevent foot damage; not over weight, walking every day, I don't smoke, I think I get enough calcium, the only thing on the list is drinking alcohol.:woot:

Ironic, because if I can't walk for 6 weeks or more the only thing left is to lie in bed drinking to drown my sorrows.:banghead:

Anyway, I need a firm diagnosis. I would be more than happy to have the foot immobilised in a cast and use crutches to get around if I could then remain active, and perhaps even ride my bike. I assume I will need some kind of x-ray or scan to confirm the problem. No doubt weeks of hassle ahead.:(

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sorry about your injury and hope it doesnt turn out to be what you fear. I get osteoarthritis in my ankles and it is gives me trouble when the weather is extreme. The hot spell the week before last set it off and then gout set in to heel of one foot and ankle of other. I have been immobilised on the sofa since last Wed but today am at the hobbling on crutches stage. It affected my BG though. The worst day of pain was Wed and my husband left me with crackers and water till he returned from work so I didnt test. Since then I have been eating smaller meals of LCHF but my numbers were 1-2 higher than usual. I dont know if it was the pain, the inflammation or the Naproxen that were to blame. I dont want to make you feel worse (lol) but would be interested to know your experience. I couldnt even have wine!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It could be a tendon issue rather than a fracture.
Ive had an ongoing issue around the head of 5th metatarrsal for the last year following a slip. The possibilities raised by the medics went from fracture to micro fracture to tendon tear before a MRI scan came up with tendonitis as the cause - now awaiting the medics comments on what to do next

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps the walking is just too harsh for the feet - which were never designed to hit hard pavements thousands of times a day. I hope that you can discover what is wrong - or at least that it soon gets better.
Could you try swimming?
An exercise I managed even at my heaviest was using my trampoline - I expected problems with my joints but they actually improved with the exercise and the stretching and yoga I did as the surface is so supportive and spreads the weight so I could even begin to kneel down again, something far too painful on a flat surface.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Did you find out if it was a stress fracture? I had one in one of the small bones of a foot when I was only in the beginning of my 20es. Had it x-rayed and put in a cast. I think I got it because I was working as a nurse, and they walk about 9 miles a day at work. Anyway, it only happened that once to me, and I don't remember it as being too bad. This was 35 years ago :)