possible hand neuropothy

horse

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of neuropathy of the fingers and hands? Particularly of it occuring in the hands with no symptoms occuring in the feet. I understand this can happen but is rare. I ask because I have been taking physiotherapy for a month owing to numbness, thinking it was a posture issue, but the numbness is only getting worse. I've only had type 1 for 2 years and i know it seems unlikely, but just seems a coincidence to that suddenly i have this symptom that I never had before, and if you google it it say Diabetes as a cause. I'm waiting for a referal to have some tests done.

Be interested to know if anyone has experienced this.
Cheers

a_hilton

Are the symptoms unilateral (in one hand only) or bilateral (both hands)?

Could you please describe the symptoms more accurately, i.e is it just numbness or tingling as well? Precise location/distribution of the sensory loss as well would be useful.

DO the symptoms come and go or are they fairly constant?

You mention that you think posture might have something to do with it. What makes you think this?

Basically, from what I understand, diabetic neuropathy would be more likely to be bilateral. There could be many reasons for a unilateral neuropathy, besides diabetes. You may be sleeping on the arm or perhaps your workstation setup is sub-optimal.

Alex

Katharine

Diabetics can get neuropathy in their hand and also carpal tunnel syndrome.

More like hand neuropathy: Glove distribution. Starts in the tips and works its way up. Usually will have retinopathy and foot neuropathy. Nails often don't grow very well too.

I know several people with it. They tend to have burns in their fingers from holding coffee cups and the insulated ones are best for them.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is more of a dead feeling in the hands but can be painful too. Worse in bed at night. Pain is all over the hand including palms rather than finger tips up. Not the same chronic burns/nail problems.

horse

Thanks

It is on both hands and lower arms just the same, but moreso in the two small fingers, which points to the ulnar nerve (funny bone) rather than carpel. It is constant, and i'm fumbly and gripping is slow and hurts. It is tingly and I have the urge to rub my hands all the time as and shake them to get rid of the pins and needles, which does not work.

The physio suggested it was posture; I had a a bad working envioronment but it's improved now. They seem to rule out neuropathy due to the short length of time i have been daigonosed and fairly ok HC tests - (around 7). It's true I have no other symtoms so far, feet and eyes are fine.

I am going to have some kind of test with electricity to locate the exact location of the problem, but apparently this will not be decisive as to the cause.

i've had this over 6 months now and i'm getting a little depressed thinking it might be permanent. I ignored it for too long thinking it would clear up. Bad pre-diabetes habit i guess.

Thanks for replies

i have had type 1 diabetes for 18 years & have neuropathy of the hands for me it has got worse since was diagnosed with it last year but manage most things, it depends on the person and usually affects people who havehad diabetes for many years like myself. i have had diabetes since age of 16 and 3 yeas after diagnosis had minor problems with insulin but never neuropothy until recently therefore should get things thouroughly checked over as the are many unusual smtoms of things that even some doctors cannot explain until patient gets a good check up. there could be a number of things linked to the stiffness and pains in your hands but can be treaed in some way.