Possible Newbie

ALLEYES

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi , thanks for replying
To be honest i was doing tests for a kidney donation for a relative about 8 weeks of tests down the line the renal nurse told me it was game over as i was high risk diabetes , she showed me all blood tests from 2010 to present , they were all over 6.3 vial lab tests and there was one at 7.8 but she showed me other numbers 41 & 43 which im unsure about , im very rarely at GP for anything but this year iv had various probs with skin and pains in my legs , i feel theres something not right ....nobody knows your body more than you ! I just joined this site on Fri as im bit confused with conflicting info from health pros also T2 guys i works with , i spokr to Urbanracer ( Moderator ) on Fri night but told him while i was chatting to him that i checked my bloods after 3 hours it was 15.1 i know im probably not eating correctly but is it normal for prediabetes to have high readings ?

ALLEYES

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think i will actually i have had some high readings i know im probably not clued up about this but i feel like when i go to GP like your wasting their time if you know what i mean

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ALLEYES You need a print out of those results over 6.3 to find out if they were fasting blood tests or HBA1C.

41 and 43 are the new units to measure HBA1C and 42 and over is in the prediabetic range.

Have you got a GP appointment booked, if not do this first thing tomorrow, just to talk about prediabetes and your latest lab results.

This has been going on for years from what you say so do not expect it to be fixed overnight. Your pro-active attitude makes me think you can improve this. I know there is a lot of confusing information out there and you will need to decide what to trust and what to try. In my case I didn't get much help from my surgery and was told not to test my blood sugars at home.

Testing helps you formulate the right meals to keep your blood sugar in check. It is a slow but important learning phase. I tested 2 hours after porridge and got a huge spike from 5, to 13.something and learnt porridge was not a healthy breakfast for me. Other don't spike so much or are ok with very small bowls! Any meals that take you to double figures as a prediabetic needs changing! The change is to reduce the sugar and other carbs that turn into sugar once eaten.

Take a deep breath and take the time to learn and formulate a plan. Ask lots of questions and read around the forum especially the pre-d section here https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/prediabetes.40/