Type 1 Possibly the dumbest newbie, immediately need help with lantus injection advice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all. ok so in my sleepy state of taking before bedtime lantus (11 units), i some how did not put the needle in deep enough (even pinched up) and i now have a little bump of lantus under my skin. when i noticed this, i pulled it out and put the rest of the 6 units left in properly (as was well awake now) .
my question is what do i do about the lantus that didn't go in (a big drop landed on outside of my skin) ?? and also will this bump get absorbed eventually ??
i am concerned bc i just switched to taking it at night from morning yesterday, and spent yesterday all day long in 10-13 range and today in 10-12 range ... and would really like to make sure it gets in my system tonight bc will not be able to sleep till one gnos what to do here.

lesson learned not to inject it in dim light while sleepy if you are a newbie

thanks Summer

Last edited by a moderator:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
hi all. ok so in my sleepy state of taking before bedtime lantus (11 units), i some how did not put the needle in deep enough (even pinched up) and i now have a little bump of lantus under my skin. when i noticed this, i pulled it out and put the rest of the 6 units left in properly (as was well awake now) .
my question is what do i do about the lantus that didn't go in (a big drop landed on outside of my skin) ?? and also will this get absorbed eventually ??
i am concerned bc i just switched to taking it a night yesterday, and spent yesterday all day long in 10-13 range and today in 10-12 range ... and would really like to make sure it get in my system tonight bc will not be able to sleep till one gnos what to do here.

lesson learned not to inject it in dim light while sleepy if you are a newbie

thanks Summer
Hi and welcome to the forum. We all make mistakes sometimes, just part of living with diabetes, I think.

Hopefully there will be some insulin users around at this time to give you specific advice, but if not, you can always call the NHS non emergency line on 111 and they might have some ideas on this.

Do you think you will find it hard to sleep because of the worry, or because high BGs make it hard to sleep?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I trust that 111 were able to help? The reality is that the drop on the outside of the skin won't have been a huge issue and that in normal circumstances, you shouldn't panic. If you are slightly down on basal, you can always compensate by taking correction doses with bolus insulin around your meal times.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes a 111 doctor called eventually, went to sleep at 3 am. he told me not to really worry abt it or inject more bc i might hypo and to stick to my care plan ... unfortunately i'm too newbie don't have a care plan more like a rigid plan and am not due to see my team or diabetic dr. till november ! and have not been taught how to correct or count carbs ... have been advised by my team to not do that yet and let my things settle down. but that was when in the 5-9's BG levels all last week ... the change from daytime to nighttime lantus seems to have thrown me off and i did up my 4 units novorapid to 6, 5 and 6 on the day didn't' take lantus in the morning and since i had to wait till evening, but my before meals reading were always 10-13 anyways. ts all so new and i dont really gno what to do so its good this forum is here. didn't think of 111. lol the 111 nurse told me not to go by the forum for correcting and only go by my individualised care plan for correcting, but that's all still in the making of so until then best to not make any mistakes as a newbie with injecting or eating more carbs than the 4 can handle and eating smaller low carb meals in general is my care plan :)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
yes a 111 doctor called eventually, went to sleep at 3 am. he told me not to really worry abt it or inject more bc i might hypo and to stick to my care plan ... unfortunately i'm too newbie don't have a care plan more like a rigid plan and am not due to see my team or diabetic dr. till november ! and have not been taught how to correct or count carbs ... have been advised by my team to not do that yet and let my things settle down. but that was when in the 5-9's BG levels all last week ... the change from daytime to nighttime lantus seems to have thrown me off and i did up my 4 units novorapid to 6, 5 and 6 on the day didn't' take lantus in the morning and since i had to wait till evening, but my before meals reading were always 10-13 anyways. ts all so new and i dont really gno what to do so its good this forum is here. didn't think of 111. lol the 111 nurse told me not to go by the forum for correcting and only go by my individualised care plan for correcting, but that's all still in the making of so until then best to not make any mistakes as a newbie with injecting or eating more carbs than the 4 can handle and eating smaller low carb meals in general is my care plan :)
You might want to contact your team and ask to see someone to review things. Others who are more familiar with the NICE guidelines for T1s may be able to comment on the timeframes that are expected. It may be that the team is being a bit slack and they need to provide a bit more input.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As you are having difficulties, you should contact the Diabetes team - they will listen. Why did you move your Lantus to evening injections out of interest?

Reactions: 2 people