Type 1 Post dinner spikes

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone,

I've been noticing recently that I am getting some serious post dinner spikes in the BG's

For example this evening I was 7.7 before my evening meal (at 6:30pm), I injected 20 minutes before I ate dinner (and gave 1 extra unit as I currently have Tonsillitis)

Each hour after dinner my levels went like this .. ..

7:20pm - 7.4
8pm - 10.2
9pm - 11.4
10pm - 10.9
10:30pm - 13.4
11:15pm 12.7
Right now at 12:15am it is 12.7

Would this purely be down to the fact I am ill at the moment, or does anybody else get this too?
Does anyone have any tips to stop it from happening?

Thanks,

Sam x

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone,

I've been noticing recently that I am getting some serious post dinner spikes in the BG's

For example this evening I was 7.7 before my evening meal (at 6:30pm), I injected 20 minutes before I ate dinner (and gave 1 extra unit as I currently have Tonsillitis)

Each hour after dinner my levels went like this .. ..

7:20pm - 7.4
8pm - 10.2
9pm - 11.4
10pm - 10.9
10:30pm - 13.4
11:15pm 12.7
Right now at 12:15am it is 12.7

Would this purely be down to the fact I am ill at the moment, or does anybody else get this too?
Does anyone have any tips to stop it from happening?

Thanks,

Sam x

Hello Sam,
Illness does play a role on your readings, you might need extra. Are you aware of sick day rules? Has your team explained sick day rules to you?
However we all spike with carbs inbetween our injection and waiting for insulin to catch up. So it is normal to spike when you’ve eaten carbs. Also if theres fat in your meal, it could have spiked you later so you’ll need to split bolus for it. But if I remember you use novorapid? You could ask your consultant for fiasp to try out.
I have linked DAFNE sick day rules:
http://www.dafne.uk.com/uploads/224...k day rules - Standard.pdf?0.8191162855364382

I also recommend DAFNE if you haven’t done it. I hope you get better soon

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My guess is that your illness is playing a huge part and it's impossible to determine exactly by how much. I would stay away from any foods that could cause a spike. I hope you feel better soon!

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Sam,
Illness does play a role on your readings, you might need extra. Are you aware of sick day rules? Has your team explained sick day rules to you?
However we all spike with carbs inbetween our injection and waiting for insulin to catch up. So it is normal to spike when you’ve eaten carbs. Also if theres fat in your meal, it could have spiked you later so you’ll need to split bolus for it. But if I remember you use novorapid? You could ask your consultant for fiasp to try out.
I have linked DAFNE sick day rules:
http://www.dafne.uk.com/uploads/224/documents/G01.002, version 1 (May 2018) -Sick day rules - Standard.pdf?0.8191162855364382

I also recommend DAFNE if you haven’t done it. I hope you get better soon

Hi @MeiChanski Thanks so much for the information, it's very helpful.
I didn't know that about the fat causing a spike later, that's great to know. Every day is a school day huh!! :)

Thanks, today was day 3 of Antibiotics, so I'm hoping to start feeling more myself over the next day or so.

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My guess is that your illness is playing a huge part and it's impossible to determine exactly by how much. I would stay away from any foods that could cause a spike. I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks so much @JAT1 :happy:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @MeiChanski Thanks so much for the information, it's very helpful.
I didn't know that about the fat causing a spike later, that's great to know. Every day is a school day huh!! :)

Thanks, today was day 3 of Antibiotics, so I'm hoping to start feeling more myself over the next day or so.

Yes, if it’s greasy meals like takeaways, fatty meats, cheeses, cream etc involved with carbs, we are told to split our meal dose to give better coverage. This is because our fast acting insulin lasts 4 hours, fat slows the carb absorption which ends up a higher BG later after the 4 hours. I hope you get better soon, watch out for ketones, keep testing - also compare with finger prick readings before doing a correction.

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, if it’s greasy meals like takeaways, fatty meats, cheeses, cream etc involved with carbs, we are told to split our meal dose to give better coverage. This is because our fast acting insulin lasts 4 hours, fat slows the carb absorption which ends up a higher BG later after the 4 hours. I hope you get better soon, watch out for ketones, keep testing - also compare with finger prick readings before doing a correction.

Thanks again @MeiChanski it's great to know these things!

Ah yes, double checking with finger pricks when I'm out of range just to make sure before taking any action & all clear in the Ketones front thankfully!