Post DKA. Help.

lely

So after being Dka,for probably a little over 24hrs. and a 24hr stay in my local a&e medical assessment unit. I was discharged yesterday at 4pm.
Sent home with my own pump back in action, novorapid flex pen and lantus flex pen for my rescue pack. Woke this morning on 14.5. Had breakfast bolused as normal. And within and hour my bm had shot up to 25.4.
Corrected with pen and injected 12u of lantus at 10am. Obviously my own pump isn't working at full capacity yet, I assume it's like when I switched to pump half doses of long acting till it stabilises.

Anyone who has had episodes of DKA. Am I to expect a period of unsettled bms and major swings for a while?

It's been my first episode of DKA since diagnosis in 2007 and I can't remember much of that time due to the brain fog.
I'm currently testing hourly to check for oncoming hypos. last check just now 12.8. Having had a small sandwich and banana which was 28g carbs.
Any advice welcome.

D

Deleted Account

It sounds as if you have had a horrible 24 hours. Glad you are now well enough to come back home.
Fingers crossed, I have never experienced DKA. However, I am not free of high, unexplained (or at least difficult to explain) BG. When this happens, I find I need a lot more insulin to bring it back down to normality. For me, any BG over 15 requires twice as much insulin to correct than normal regardless of ketones. However, I also have to massacre my finger tips as I test test test to make sure I do not go too low.
High BG often makes me hungry. I try to avoid eating anything which will push my BG higher. So my usual high BG snack tends to be omelettes with, maybe, a few nuts on the side. Yum .... not.
I also find very high BG does not react well to exercise. And no exercise makes me grumpy. But apart from a little light amble down the street, I turn to NetFlix to keep me distracted.

I hope you start to see your BG coming down and you feel better soon. Your body has been through the grind stone so don't expect it to recover immediately: give yourself some time to chill.

Reactions: Juicyj

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So after being Dka,for probably a little over 24hrs. and a 24hr stay in my local a&e medical assessment unit. I was discharged yesterday at 4pm.
Sent home with my own pump back in action, novorapid flex pen and lantus flex pen for my rescue pack. Woke this morning on 14.5. Had breakfast bolused as normal. And within and hour my bm had shot up to 25.4.
Corrected with pen and injected 12u of lantus at 10am. Obviously my own pump isn't working at full capacity yet, I assume it's like when I switched to pump half doses of long acting till it stabilises.

Anyone who has had episodes of DKA. Am I to expect a period of unsettled bms and major swings for a while?

It's been my first episode of DKA since diagnosis in 2007 and I can't remember much of that time due to the brain fog.
I'm currently testing hourly to check for oncoming hypos. last check just now 12.8. Having had a small sandwich and banana which was 28g carbs.
Any advice welcome.

Hi Lely - I'm not T1, so I win't even consider commenting on your query, but I will tag some T1 pimpers who might have some input for you.

@tim2000s , @Juicyj and @himtoo - Would any of you be able to offer any wisdom to Lely?

I hope you're feeling chipper soon, Lely. I don't envy your experience one bit.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Any advice welcome.
Hi @lely hope you're feeling better soon!
DKA is absolutely horrible, I totally sympathise with you! I just do injections, I'm not on the pump
Unfortunately, from my experiences you are likely to be unstable for a while, DKA affects your body chemistry (diabetic ketoacidosis - basically it turns your body acidic). I've been DKA a few times in the 17+ years I've been diabetic, have only been in hospital once though. I was on 2 drips over the course of 4 days, one was some kind of an insulin drip (as I remember) and the other was a sugar drip for equilibrium.
I'd say you may have to do a lot more work with the pump until your body readjusts. Try eating raw veg (if you like anything like that!). My mum is a bit of a health fanatic she keeps trying to get me to go on a diet where I basically just eat raw veg for a few days, she's read somewhere that its good for diabetics. No thanks i'll just have about a billion units with this pizza :) but it may help!

Reactions: himtoo and lely

lely

Hi Lely - I'm not T1, so I win't even consider commenting on your query, but I will tag some T1 pimpers who might have some input for you.

@tim2000s , @Juicyj and @himtoo - Would any of you be able to offer any wisdom to Lely?

I hope you're feeling chipper soon, Lely. I don't envy your experience one bit.
Thank you. Appreciate it. it was all dealt with swifty and efficiently at the hospital. And although it was an ordeal I feel it was short and swift, of course the aftermath is now the issue.
It's always better getting personal experience stories from actual diabetics than information thrown at you from a consultant who has no personal experience of thee condition. That's not to say I don't appreciate his efforts and knowledge he's an expert afterall but his expertise is in figures and stats. And the one I saw had no knowledge of pumping my consultant who oversees me and heads the pump clinic was away.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
but I will tag some T1 pimpers
Ha. Can't say I've ever been called that before @DCUKMod...

Sprry @lely, I don't have any personal experience to provide as I've never been DKA whilst on a pump. As @Shannon27 says, it's not unusual to be up and down, and rather unstable post a bout of DKA, but the only advice really is keep testing. If you feel out of your depth at any time, give your DSN a call.

Reactions: lely

iHs

Hope you feel a bit better once your bg levels have lowered. Pumps are great but when bg is high, then a correction dose won't always work within 4hrs unless it is increased...look at @ catapillar msg on the forum about high bg and climbing the ladder.

lely

Thanks all I suppose it was too much to hope for to be stable straight after. my last 2 bms have been under 10 so I'm pleased with that. @Shannon27. Yes while I tend to eat as low carb as I can I don't deny myself what I want. I too would bolus high for something I love. drips I was on saline for the dehydration and insulin till my bms dropped below 14. Then they added the glucose drip to stop the fast drop into Hypo and a saline/potassium drip, something to do with my electrolytes. ( whatever they are). Hopefully I won't experience that again. It was an unfortunate series of events that caused it and a massive lesson learned.
Thanks iHs I'll take a read of that info. Thanks all.

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey @lely
glad you are seeing BG's under 10 now
heading in the right direction for sure !!

I am just sending all my "get into the 5's hugs that are humanly possible"

it is totally effing rubbish feeling rubbish

from one D to another -- I get it !!!!!!!!!!!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
thanks @lely - that "like" tells me you are back in control -- GO YOU !!!!!!!!!!:)