Post meal spikes

Beenie1

Hi guys

Can anyone recommend how to avoid spikes after meals? I inject about 15-20 mins before I eat, I carb count and I eat a very low carb diet? They don't spike by much but I just wondered if there is any way/ recommendations so I can avoid these all together?

Thanks!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Small spikes are normal. How high are you worrying about?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't disagree with @tim2000s

What figure are you starting at, & where is it approx 2hours later??

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Injecting earlier is the right things to do. The trick is, to align the peak of your insulin with the peak from your food. You could try injecting earlier. I inject 30 mins before breakfast and 15 mins before lunch or dinner.

Reactions: 2 people

Beenie1

Oh ok I think in my head when everyone talks about meal spikes I thought that I should be avoiding them! I only spike by 2-3 units depending on what I've eaten - haha sorry that was a silly question then wasn't it. So a little spike is normal - phew! When you say align peak of insulin with peak of food? Do you mean if it's low GI my insulin dose for the meal should be spread out longer? That kind of thing?

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In simple terms most carbs will spike quite quickly. Novorapid takes 15-45 minutes to properly kick in ( it varies for individuals). If you take the Novo just enough in advance then the Novo will be active just as the carbs start to kick. A rise of only 2-3 mmol means you have already got it spot on. I get bigger rises even if I take it an hour before!

Reactions: 2 people