Post prandial glucose levels

fizzy-banana

Hello :)

I am a 25 year old female and 2 years ago with a family history of type 2 diabetes (taunt and uncles)

A year and a half ago after a basic checkup, my endocrinologist noticed my fasting was 1,10 g/L and decided to take further investigations.
My insulin level came back fine but my Hba1c was 5,5%
My BMI is 19 but I have always had a sweet tooth :(

Since then, I have really paid attention to my diet cutting out the carbs but lately, I wanted to check my glucose levels with my mom's glucometer and those were the results :

fasting : 4,7 mmol/L
1 hour after a heavy carb meal (big pizza and ice cream :shy:) : 9,9 mmol/l (!!)
2 hours after : 6,05 mmol/L

What do you think ? Is this normal I experience such a spike ? I tested strawberries as well, and they hardly did anything to my glucose levels

Should I completely cut heavy carb food ?

Thank you :)

D

Deleted Account

I couldn't and wouldn't tell you what you must eat.
But I have seen Libre graphs of people without diabetes having similar spikes after pizza so, in your position, I would not be worried.
If you were eating pizza and icecream multiple times a week it might be time to review your diet - not because of diabetes but for your general health - but, personally, I would not worry about it as an occasional treat based on those numbers.

Incidentally, for an indication of what numbers to expect, you can take a look here.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I agree with @helensaramay , pizza is the devil's food as regards blood sugar, so 9.9 one hour after isn't a big deal. Obviously with your family history you're always going to be at T2 risk, but your current levels sound fine.

Remember that glucometers can be 10-15% out, so I'd also need more than one errant reading to be concerned.

Well done for choosing a healthy diet at 25 (many 25 year olds don't), keep an eye on things in the future (because of your family history) but I don't think you're there yet.

And an occasional pizza won't kill you, but I wouldn't recommend it too often, for anyone.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbs and sugar cause sudden spike in insulin. In general they are not good for health. I was watching a YouTuber with a channel named mic the vegan he tested his blood after and before meal. Before was 68 and after his vegan meal was 109. It was huge sugar spike. Sudden spike is not good for health. So in general I eat low carb diet now. I was in similar situation like yours.

Last edited:
Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
To give you another perspective, I had gestational diabetes and similar spikes with carb foods. A few chicken nuggests gave me a 10mmol once but 2 hours post meal I was still in the 8s sometimes after those spikes, which shows a higher level of insulin resistance (happens during pregnancy). But I agree with veryanxious that if you notice spikes like that, avoid eating it much as possible because the more often it happens, the more insulin resistant you will become and over time that can lead to a myriad if health problems if not to the most serious ones. You arev lucky because you have the infomation to be able to avoid problems in the future. Take a look at this https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-n...el-glucose-spikes-seen-in-healthy-people.html

DawnOfTheZed

To give you another perspective, I had gestational diabetes and similar spikes with carb foods. A few chicken nuggests gave me a 10mmol once but 2 hours post meal I was still in the 8s sometimes after those spikes, which shows a higher level of insulin resistance (happens during pregnancy). But I agree with veryanxious that if you notice spikes like that, avoid eating it much as possible because the more often it happens, the more insulin resistant you will become and over time that can lead to a myriad if health problems if not to the most serious ones. You arev lucky because you have the infomation to be able to avoid problems in the future. Take a look at this https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-n...el-glucose-spikes-seen-in-healthy-people.html

@Cocosilk
Great paper link! Thanks for that.

Reactions: Cocosilk