1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Post Workout Insulin

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by CathieT, Jan 24, 2020.

1. CathieT

CathieT · Newbie

Should I be lowering my fast-acting insulin when eating after a work out? I generally eat a very low/no carb meal after working out so don’t need to inject. Thanks in advance x
    Type 1 - dose is 1unit per 10g of carbs

2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you going hypo with your usual ratio?

3. CathieT

CathieT · Newbie

Yes sometimes, but equally exercise is making me hyper, I just did a 30min workout after eating and injecting for porridge and my blood sugars have risen to 18mmol

4. SB.25

SB.25 Other · Well-Known Member

I too am having a nightmare with excercise and T1 diabetes!! I mainly do weight training and whilst this previously made my levels sky rocket, I have found in the last couple of weeks I am having so many lows!! The lows sometimes happen mid workout and sometimes hours after.

When my personal trainer took my measurements this week, it seems I have dropped 5% body fat in 4 weeks (and I wasn’t particularly big to begin with!) I think this may have had an impact on my insulin sensitivity - so it may be worth keeping an eye on this :) if you too are losing fat!

I’m still trying to find my correct insulin doses to avoid the hypos - but good luck with it!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook