Post your annoyances to vent!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a thread for the big problems that come with having diabetes. They are important but I would like a place to get rid of the small daily frustrations.
So I made one :)
Especially for all small problems that aren't worth burdening our loved ones with but have an impact all the same.
Feel free to post non-diabetic annoyances as well and divert this thread all you like!

I'll start off with my last one: I just undressed for bed, opened all windows to let in the fresh, wintery air (read pretty strong gusts of ice-cold wind), made myself a comfortable nest with a book and 3 dogs, started to inject my long acting and found out I was a couple of units short in my current pen.
So I had to disturb the dogs to get out of bed and get ice cold on my way to the fridge so I could inject the remaining equally ice cold units.
Now back in bed but 2 of the dogs chose another sleeping spot where they won't be dusturbed.

Don't I just love diabetes :banghead:

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Just a little one but I have heard it a lot when you say you have to avoid bread and sugar etc.

The response of "What about brown bread and sugar" Is becoming increasingly difficult to respond to with any grace.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
After discovering the state of affairs regarding my treatment I am in such a bad mood that I might just have my son's bag of Maltesers that he had secreted at the back of fridge days ago and hang the consequences!

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I had my first ever proper hypo this evening (note to self, eat a bit of carbohydrate at lunchtime in future!). No idea how to correct properly so um...overcorrected with a load of starchy stuff. Sugar now running ridiculously high (19!) and I am drinking lots of water and walking about to try and get it down. Very annoying! Off to chemists tomorrow to get some glucose tablets so I don't overcorrect in future. Jelly babies would be too tempting.

Reactions: conniecar

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My roommate who constantly gives me unsolicited (and incorrect) "advice" about diabetes and I can't shut her up.

I need to be doing this and I need to be doing that and diet pop still has sugar and these are the foods I should be eating and these are all the reasons I'm not losing weight very fast.

She doesn't have diabetes and while I've only lost 14 pounds in four months she's gained 10. I can hardly get a word in and when I do and correct her she gets annoyed.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
So I had to disturb the dogs to get out of bed and get ice cold on my way to the fridge so I could inject the remaining equally ice cold units.
Sorry Antje, but couldn't help smiling at your story, because it is a little funny too, and somehow I get the feeling you think so too ...?
I tend to forget my evening metformin, and as I sleep on the 6th floor and the kitchen (and tablets) are on the 4th, I have to get out of bed and climb 2 floors down, and of course 2 floors back up again. Don't tell anyone, but often I'll just pretend I didn't remember at all ;) Of course it's a different kettle of fish when we're talking insulin.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My daughters new boyfriend/ partner.

And daughter's seeming inability to understand that borderline diabetes and the doctor's advise not to change her diet drastically prior to her next HbA1c at the end of the month is not a license to double her intake of carbohydrates.

Last edited:

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How nearly every time I visit the pharmacy to collect my repeat prescriptions there's a problem. I order in good time, but ........ 'We're just preparing that one now it will take 30mins ....... we don't have that one I'll have to speak to specials ( what ever that means) ..... we have half, please come back tomorrow for rest..... no there's nothing on the system.......'
Arrrgghh.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry Antje, but couldn't help smiling at your story, because it is a little funny too, and somehow I get the feeling you think so too ...?
Yup, I usually see the stupid-funny side of my mistakes and mishaps, and even more so when I get to tell them. So one of the side effect of this thread is that it makes the frustrations smaller. Wish all side effects were like that :p
Don't tell anyone, but often I'll just pretend I didn't remember at all ;) Of course it's a different kettle of fish when we're talking insulin.
Exactly what I was considering last night. I know I can get away with it too, as my long acting is Tresiba (acts really long, so it's even possible to keep pretty good bg when taken half a day late), but that would have meant a lot of adjusting the next 2 days so I'm happy I chose the cold trip.
I tend to forget my evening metformin, and as I sleep on the 6th floor and the kitchen (and tablets) are on the 4th, I have to get out of bed and climb 2 floors down, and of course 2 floors back up again.
Put an extra strip next to your bed? Or is that just too practical?

Reactions: ziggy_w and briped

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How nearly every time I visit the pharmacy to collect my repeat prescriptions there's a problem. I order in good time, but ........ 'We're just preparing that one now it will take 30mins ....... we don't have that one I'll have to speak to specials ( what ever that means) ..... we have half, please come back tomorrow for rest..... no there's nothing on the system.......'
Arrrgghh.
I'm so happy I got rid of my pharmacy exatcly because of this s**t. Found an online one and they deliver everything I need once every 3 months, love it!

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I have told my daughters I'm getting a tee shirt done for when they bring someone home.....
"What you do to my daughter, I DO TO YOU"
You need to hope they live a celibate life :woot:

Reactions: Cumberland

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Put an extra strip next to your bed? Or is that just too practical?
Not too practical, but I keep my meds in Mon - Sun pill boxes, and I think it might mess up my system. Also I prefer to keep my paraphernalia out of sight when not using them, as I hate the constant reminders. Set an alarm? Oh, I have, and when it goes off at 8PM and I'm doing something else I'll dismiss it - and most of the times remember later :)

Reactions: DJC3 and Antje77

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
When a type 1 smugly tells me type 2 don't need to test! grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Each time my gorgeous 5 yr old daughter asks me - are you allowed to eat that now mom- which she asks for every single thing she ever sees me eating. And then the number of times I have to explain that my 85% chocolate is allowed and is different to her chocolate :banghead:

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I love this thread so much!

1. Predicting your eating-out meal insulin and when it arrives the carbs are too much/ not enough and you’ve already jabbed.
2. My mother-in-law insisting her type 2 husband can do shortbread by the kilo but not Lurpak.
3. My mother-in-law ( can you see what I’m doing here? ) telling me she read in the Daily Nazi that that nice Mrs May cures low blood sugars with a Brazil nut?
4. My mother-in-law’s sister screeching ‘eh you can’t have that!’ if I stare at the Christmas Birds trifle offering.
5. People coming up to you and whispering ‘are you sure you can eat those?’

I’ll stop while I’m ahead x