Postal Insulin and C-Peptide test

helga_t75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi all,

I've been LCHF fora couple of months now, have lost over a stone (yay!) but my bloods are still averaging over 8 and I get a massive morning rise (boo).

I know my DN will suggest insulin as a next move, but I suspect I'm massively insulin resistant and probably have too much insulin in me... So I have been looking at having an insulin and c-peptide test done privately. I see you can do these by post.

Has anyone out there done this? Would you recommend any companies?

Cheers

Reactions: Ultramum

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can also have private tests done locally, without the postal bit. Some private doctors will do them. You would need to Google for your area. I do know there are some forum members that paid for these tests.

@DavidGrahamJones is one of them.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
So I have been looking at having an insulin and c-peptide test done privately. I see you can do these by post.
I have had c-peptide and insulin resistance tests done privately at a clinic in London. I have had other tests done whereby my Nutritional Therapist can draw blood (she is certified, or should I say certificated LOL).
I see you're in the West of Ireland and Google seems to think Ireland is in the United States, at least Googling for places to go comes back with US stuff, hopefully you'll have more luck googling from Ireland.
I see that the postal ones require you (or someone else) getting your blood, I had to give a small phial full so I don't know what the postal tests require. I thought having my tests were worth while because I know exactly where I stand. I'm also happier that I found a clinic to go to rather than supplying my own sample.
One thing you might consider is not going for the LCHF but the LCLF, only because several people on this forum have mentioned that the HF bit doesn't suit everyone. Of the four years that I have been on lower carbs it's only been the last year where I've increased the fat bit and consequently gained weight (although still eating less calories than I need), my cholesterol has gone up (dairy now banned) and my BG is all over the place.
Sometimes LC may not be enough. In my case, thanks to a Freestyle Libre, I can see that my BG goes up when I'm asleep so taking insulin or anything like Gliclazide during the day when my BG is lower could be a problem. I'm currently trying Januvia (sitagliptin) which in theory only gets the pancreas to create more insulin when required (middle of the night), so I'm only suggesting to be careful with the insulin.

helga_t75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
One thing you might consider is not going for the LCHF but the LCLF, only because several people on this forum have mentioned that the HF bit doesn't suit everyone. Of the four years that I have been on lower carbs it's only been the last year where I've increased the fat bit and consequently gained weight (although still eating less calories than I need), my cholesterol has gone up (dairy now banned) and my BG is all over the place.

Great info, thanks David.

I've been eating keto, so 20 to 30 net grams of carbs a day. My understanding is that LCLF is pretty dangerous as without the fat your body starts to burn protein as energy, and uses your muscles. Starting with your heart!

You say you're on 'lower' carbs? How many net grams a day do you eat?

Interesting to hear about your experiences with dairy, I will keep experimenting... I have had a libre on for just under a month an my bloods are pretty good all night, but then shoot up as I get out of bed and then take all day to come down again.

I tried Januvia and it didn't do much, and made me really anxious. I then tried Lyxumia which made me feel awful and again didn't do anything. Very wary of taking insulin, and I want to know the actual state of my pancreas before we try that.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
My understanding is that LCLF is pretty dangerous as without the fat your body starts to burn protein as energy, and uses your muscles. Starting with your heart!

You say you're on 'lower' carbs? How many net grams a day do you eat?

That's a good point, you must be one of those lucky people who haven't gained weight as a result of medication (rosiglitazone), doctor's advice (you're not eating enough), a broken metabolism (my doctor's professional opinion) or have a weight problem (as opposed to an eating problem - NHS psychiatrist and NHS dietician). That's not meant to sound as bad as it does, anyway, in theory I have enough superfluous adipose tissue (AKA FAT) to burn first and recent, rather expensive tests done on holiday (insurance job) show that my heart is in fine fettle and "pretty good for a 60 year old" is what the doctor said. At 64, I'm happy with that.

I think the thing is that over the years I have read so many things about, dieting etc, I'm not entirely sure which bits are 100% true or indeed apply to me anyway. I know some people don't like hearing this, but we really are all so very different. The scales I use measure fat, muscle and water (supposedly) and I don't take anything for granted but it's a good indicator of trends and I have never noticed any significant changes in muscle but fat and water are changing all the time and unfortunately that trend isn't down.

As for carbs, I weigh everything I eat and plug it into a piece of software called "Weight by Date" and can confirm that I usually consume less than 40 gms per day. Some might say that it's not low carb so I say it's lower carb. A lot lower than the 250 - 300 gms usually consumed by people following current guidelines (1/3 of calories). When it comes to fat, my software says I should eat about 75gms a day and I might eat 50 gms. I have at times eaten a lot more but it doesn't seem to agree, especially when the GP is starting the Statin conversation. Something I respectfully declined based on my experience over 17 years of taking the rotten things.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am now 5 months from diagnosis and have only now begun to see lower BG levels after being low carb since that moment - although I have eaten somethings I shouldn't, but that does make me try harder.
I was averaging over 8 for several months, but then saw it creeping downwards by a point or so each week - even though I have had to restrict my testing so there are far more post meal readings than pre meal ones.
I am pretty sure that my insulin resistance is reducing as I have put on a little weight.
I'd advise waiting to have tests done, at least until after 6 months of low carbing, as it isn't an instant fix for all aspects of diabetes. That would be an argument to put to your DN is insulin is suggested - that it was far too early in the process to be able to discover if you need extra insulin or not.

Reactions: Ultramum