PostPrad Question

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So the guidelines from my doc have been test two hours post and use that to conform to baseline and food tolerance.

From reading on here that should not be the advice to follow, and one hour and two hour should be used.

So for a reading of 8.9/ 160 at the one hour that drops to 6.1 / 110 after two hours and then back to 4.4 -6.1 / 80-110 within 3/4 hours, would just be masking damage being caused ?

Just trying to get my head around the stats and options.

Last edited:

mouseee

Different time scales show different things I suppose. Most posts I read go 2 hours afterwards. But it's the difference between the before eating number and the post eating number you are looking at. Only know UK units which is don't want more than a +2 at 2 hours.

Others will be able to tell you more.

Reactions: MrPeaky

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Different time scales show different things I suppose. Most posts I read go 2 hours afterwards. But it's the difference between the before eating number and the post eating number you are looking at. Only know UK units which is don't want more than a +2 at 2 hours.

Others will be able to tell you more.

Yeah thats what I was basing my whole knowledge on, 2 hours post no change above +2 (Added in the UK numbers now keep forgetting to do that ha)

I haven't had any post meal spikes after 2 hours above a change of 2. But had three (not bad in 9 weeks) that where a 2.2 and 2.4 change at 2 hours, but back to a 1.4 or lower after the 2 hours.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The important readings are the pre meal test, and it should be done after at least three hours since last meal, then one hour from first bite for finding spike, then two hours to see if your blood glucose levels return to either normal or not above 2mmols above the pre meal reading.
Obviously, other readings can be taken, depending on what you are trying to find out.
If you have a glucose tolerance test, they take blood readings every half hour, for reasons that are, insulin response, spike, the speed of which your glucose levels rise, and after these times how long you take to return to normal levels. Non diabetics should return to near or normal levels around the two hours mark.

If you are interested in finding out how intolerant you are to your favourite foods, a food diary will help not only, how your body reacts to food, but if you want control of your blood glucose levels and see how your body copes with your change in lifestyle, and the trends in how something more intolerant to you, can cope with.
A food diary is a really useful tool, for information and helping your doctor understanding what is happening to you.

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The important readings are the pre meal test, and it should be done after at least three hours since last meal, then one hour from first bite for finding spike, then two hours to see if your blood glucose levels return to either normal or not above 2mmols above the pre meal reading.
Obviously, other readings can be taken, depending on what you are trying to find out.
If you have a glucose tolerance test, they take blood readings every half hour, for reasons that are, insulin response, spike, the speed of which your glucose levels rise, and after these times how long you take to return to normal levels. Non diabetics should return to near or normal levels around the two hours mark.

If you are interested in finding out how intolerant you are to your favourite foods, a food diary will help not only, how your body reacts to food, but if you want control of your blood glucose levels and see how your body copes with your change in lifestyle, and the trends in how something more intolerant to you, can cope with.
A food diary is a really useful tool, for information and helping your doctor understanding what is happening to you.

Pre Meal checks have been 4.3-4.8 for the last 6 weeks, before that I wasn't really sure what I was doing with timings and basics, but have had it dialled in since.

I have not seen any +2 after the two hour marks , and the three +2 spikes at the one hour mark. all three of those where after eating takeout/MSG laiden products, but all of those returned to well within the +2 after two hours.

I may ask for the Glucose Tolerance Test then perhaps to see what my body does, I can perfectly understand why my levels where 42/42/54 over those six months, not only with the weight gain but the 2-3 hour eating, and heavily laden carb shakes twice a night leading up to my competition.

I am already scoping what I eat and what it does, and once I have my weight back down, I will try other foods I am completely avoiding atm to see how I react, the only thing I am missing now that I wasn't eating pre LC/HF is pizza haha.

Thanks for the input :)

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Pre Meal checks have been 4.3-4.8 for the last 6 weeks, before that I wasn't really sure what I was doing with timings and basics, but have had it dialled in since.

I have not seen any +2 after the two hour marks , and the three +2 spikes at the one hour mark. all three of those where after eating takeout/MSG laiden products, but all of those returned to well within the +2 after two hours.

I may ask for the Glucose Tolerance Test then perhaps to see what my body does, I can perfectly understand why my levels where 42/42/54 over those six months, not only with the weight gain but the 2-3 hour eating, and heavily laden carb shakes twice a night leading up to my competition.

I am already scoping what I eat and what it does, and once I have my weight back down, I will try other foods I am completely avoiding atm to see how I react, the only thing I am missing now that I wasn't eating pre LC/HF is pizza haha.

Thanks for the input :)

Sounds normal to me!
It does seem like it's working. If you didn't have a monitor, you wouldn't know how you were doing!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the only thing I am missing now that I wasn't eating pre LC/HF is pizza haha.
Look up fathead dough pizza (ditch the carbs.com). My non low carb family actually prefer the base. Doesn’t cause any problems at the 2hr mark at all for me. Pre bake the base a bit before topping to avoid any sogginess.