Potato Chips Are Piling on the Pounds, Study Finds

Cowboyjim

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/333/7228/1404004.html
Potato Chips Are Piling on the Pounds, Study Finds

More blindingly obvious research methinks... 8)
"Each daily serving containing 1 ounce (about 15 chips and 160 calories) led to a 1.69-pound uptick over four years. That's compared to sweets and desserts, which added 0.41 pound."
Taint trivial tho... there's salt n carbs to contend with for us... but once again it is self control...

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Strangely the US, even in the new guidelines includes potato as a veg, not a starch.
I read somewhere (can't reference) that almost all their supposed increase in veg intake in recent years is due to potatoes and of that most of them are consumed as chips.(that is fries
in US speak)
edit to clarify chips

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Why do potatoes NOT shrink when you fry them as crisps/chips or french fries? I've tried making celeriac crisps/chips and french fries, and although delicious, they do shrink a lot...

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Patch said:
Why do potatoes NOT shrink when you fry them as crisps/chips or french fries? I've tried making celeriac crisps/chips and french fries, and although delicious, they do shrink a lot...

Potatoes and celeriac are totally different vegetables, potatoes are fibrous root tubers and celeriac isn't. I think its some kind of bulb.

Its like that old bad Scottish joke: Whats the difference between Walt Disney and Bing Crosby............Bing sings, but Walt disnae :lol:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
5% carbs in celariac, up to 20% in a potato , more water to evaporate in the celariac.